THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 05:50:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleveland, Ohio Falcons  (Read 77599 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 19-Aug-13, 06:20:29 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.707298839295891.1073741953.590679534291156&type=1 Full story here

Update on SW by C & C

"I think we’re all aware of the challenges that she faces with her age, the likelihood that she’ll be challenged, and the effects of her injury in hunting and in facing challengers, but it really is special to be able to experience such a drive along with years of technique and honed skills coming together for survival sake."

SW in flight by C

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 19-Aug-13, 05:53:03 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.707298839295891.1073741953.590679534291156&type=1 Full story here

Update on SW by C & C

"I think we’re all aware of the challenges that she faces with her age, the likelihood that she’ll be challenged, and the effects of her injury in hunting and in facing challengers, but it really is special to be able to experience such a drive along with years of technique and honed skills coming together for survival sake."

SW in flight by C

I wish her the best of luck!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 19-Aug-13, 09:03:04 PM »

Fly safe, SW!  Such a strong, beautiful peregrine!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 20-Aug-13, 05:55:13 AM »

Got closer looks at SW today as I was able to go up inside the TT while she was at the tray. It was encouraging to see her using the injured left foot much more effectively than when I last saw her up close. Although it’s still twice the size of the other foot, she was putting some weight on it (as opposed to completely avoiding bearing weight on it previously), and she was able to stand, preen, stretch, and launch off. At one point she showed that she has had enough of her leg band, as she appeared to try to pry it off with her beak and a partially pealed back segment of the band was visible where she obviously tried to stretch it before. Too bad we don’t have a way to cut that band off for her, as it’s likely uncomfortable and restricting with the swelling in the foot and leg. Yet, once again, she’s managing and seems to be compensating for her injury. It was also clear that she’s still molting, as several interior molted feathers were in the tray and on the drawbridge and a newly sprouting tail feather was evident as she stretched.

Looks like she is squeezing it tighter.

Sad

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 30-Aug-13, 10:33:24 AM »

Stopped in yesterday for about two hours (all I could manage) SW can now put weight on the bad leg. Light was real bad with showers and very low clouds, ASA/DIN was 800 and above.

I found her after about an hour on the hotel.

She moved from the corrner of Ontario and public square down a bit toward the nest. She was sure looking like she wanted to hunt.

She ended up on one of the round cornice's of the hotel.

Boomer came to the nest and called to her and then took a nap.

Had all my upper teeth removed on Aug 12 and ended up reacting to an antibotic, did not eat much for over a week and a half, stoped the antibotic and I could keep food down. Just starting to get my energy back after nearly a week off the anti-b's. More to the story then that but thats all u r getting.

Could not make it down today, will try for tomorrow.

In the photo of SW on the hotel facing me you can see the "toe/tallon" is still swollen but that she is in fact standing on it.

I even saw he stand on the left leg and scratch with the right.

So thats a good sign I hope.

So you all know what I know.

Look how swollen her foot is

By Scottw

Posted on the CMNH forum

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 30-Aug-13, 10:58:49 AM »

Heal up there girly!  pray

-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 30-Aug-13, 03:37:12 PM »

Scott has a new report up today with more photos including a good look at the foot.

http://www.falconcam-cmnh.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?74549.180#post_74763
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 30-Aug-13, 04:09:46 PM »

Scott has a new report up today with more photos including a good look at the foot.

http://www.falconcam-cmnh.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?74549.180#post_74763

Carly, what's your take on this? Doesn't look too bad, she still has room between her band...a good thing! It makes me think of Lucy the eagle, who lost her whole foot and she is doing pretty good considering. Thanks

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 30-Aug-13, 05:39:53 PM »

Carly, what's your take on this? Doesn't look too bad, she still has room between her band...a good thing! It makes me think of Lucy the eagle, who lost her whole foot and she is doing pretty good considering. Thanks

From a strictly 'amateur' (which is what i am concerning injuries) point of view - it looks better than it did a few weeks ago.  But it's still awfully swollen and the end doesn't look 'sealed' off so would she still be vulnerable to infection?  The fact that SW can stand now and put weight on her foot is a good sign though. 

Someone like Tracy would be much better able to assess her long term prognosis as she is a qualified to treat and assess injured raptors.  Perhaps because SW is using her foot every day, it will take much longer to heal than if she were in rehab and not having to defend, hunt, etc.

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 09-Sep-13, 03:44:00 PM »

For the first time in many weeks, SW looks significantly better today. She is brighter, more active, and more interested in her surroundings. She and Boomer had a good bonding session at the nest which lasted for seven minutes.

Boomer waiting for SW:

The bonding session; Boomer is on the left.

Boomer left; SW remained at the nest. She has been there since shortly after 10:00 a.m., and has remained standing throughout. It is so good to see her looking better.

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 09-Sep-13, 03:45:55 PM »

More pics of SW; although her injured foot is still swollen, she does seem to be feeling better,

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 09-Sep-13, 05:08:55 PM »

clap mbanana bguitar yippee cheerleader

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 09-Sep-13, 07:30:31 PM »

More pics of SW; although her injured foot is still swollen, she does seem to be feeling better,

That's good to hear!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 18-Oct-13, 12:27:10 PM »

From fb   2thumbsup

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 18-Oct-13, 03:32:30 PM »

From fb   2thumbsup

Oh, so that's what Beauty and DC should be doing.  whistle  Roll Eyes

-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: