THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 04:39:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emily Falcon Cam  (Read 46097 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 16-Dec-15, 06:31:51 AM »

Peekaboo!  Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 19-Sep-16, 06:06:58 AM »

heart heart heart

"Confirming 3 chicks. I didn't think Emily was going to budge off them for me to see but then she decided it was better to have a go at me with Frederick's back-up! They looked asleep and cosy."

Robin Hills, Emily Falcon FB page

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 19-Sep-16, 03:05:41 PM »

hatch1 hatch1 hatch1

-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 19-Sep-16, 09:35:48 PM »

clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 16-Nov-16, 09:36:36 AM »

Hello Emily Falcon lovers, I had a lovely photo for you of Emily sitting looking into our window, with the nest site in the background... But, my phone went for a swim this morning, so I'm sorry, I can't post it!
So, the update is.... One of the chicks was reported to the building manager as being on a lower balcony for several days. They phoned Ross Harrison (my handsome husband) and between them, organised for Australia Zoo to come out and see what was up.
They arrived within an hour, and discovered it had a broken wing, so picked it up and took it back to their medical section.  crying
While they were here, we gave them permission to go through upstairs to check the nest site. The other two chicks were there with food from a kill, so seemed to be ok.
Maybe that's what Emily was trying to tell me?! So at least we know that all three chicks are still around.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 16-Nov-16, 12:52:06 PM »

Hello Emily Falcon lovers, I had a lovely photo for you of Emily sitting looking into our window, with the nest site in the background... But, my phone went for a swim this morning, so I'm sorry, I can't post it!
So, the update is.... One of the chicks was reported to the building manager as being on a lower balcony for several days. They phoned Ross Harrison (my handsome husband) and between them, organised for Australia Zoo to come out and see what was up.
They arrived within an hour, and discovered it had a broken wing, so picked it up and took it back to their medical section.  crying
While they were here, we gave them permission to go through upstairs to check the nest site. The other two chicks were there with food from a kill, so seemed to be ok.
Maybe that's what Emily was trying to tell me?! So at least we know that all three chicks are still around.

Mostly good news! Thankfully the injured one was found and will get medical attention. Thanks Donna!! thumbsup

-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 16-Nov-16, 07:32:45 PM »

Thank you for that update, Donna! I am glad the little fledgling was rescued, and hope he/she will be okay. I really liked that cam when the site was public.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 18-Nov-16, 08:05:58 AM »

Emily Falcon update.
Australia Zoo rang to let the building managers know that the chick didn't make it. There were spinal injuries on top of the broken shoulder bone. (Fly Free)  crying
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Recovered phone photos, so this is the one I was going to post a couple days ago. Emily sitting looking at in at us, with their nesting site high in the background.

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 18-Nov-16, 08:20:21 AM »

sorrow

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 18-Nov-16, 08:30:19 AM »

Bummer!  crying

-John Burroughs
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 18-Nov-16, 08:38:47 AM »

Poor little chick.   Cry That is a lovely yet rather sad photo of Emily. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 18-Nov-16, 09:17:05 AM »

Fly free, little one.  sorrow   

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 18-Nov-16, 09:46:59 AM »

Sad So sorry to hear that the chick didn't make it. However, that was a really nice Emily photo.heart

Dot in PA
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 18-Nov-16, 12:07:50 PM »

I am so sorry to read that the little chick didn't make it. Poor little one. Very sad news.  crying

That is a nice photo of Emily, looking very pensive.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 31-Jan-17, 09:11:23 AM »

Posted by Robyn a few minutes ago!  Sad

Hi Everyone, I need your help please...
on behalf of Emily & Frederick Falcon
Long post alert!
Rules of Engagement - I would like feedback please, but ONLY positive, helpful suggestions. If anyone posts a negative comment, it will be deleted.
So, some background information...
Some five years ago, some birds started hanging around the high-rise apartment building that we live in, in Caloundra, Qld, Australia.
I thought they were sea-eagles (we live near the beach). A lot of things in my life get names - cars, cameras, aircraft, so I named the bird Emily Eagle. Only to find out she was in fact, a Peregrine Falcon. But the name stuck. And then when I realised there was a pair, he was named Frederick Falcon to complement.
I never fed them, or did anything to help or hinder them, just observed them, and set-up this Facebook page, as a lot of people seemed interested.
They proceeded to nest outside our kitchen window in a planter box. Over the years, they have produced 3-4 chicks each year.
Our balconies and our neighbours below us do get a lot of poop and debris from the birds (bodies of kill, feathers, fur balls, etc). It is very messy and sticks to the tiles, making it difficult to remove and smells when it rains.
Several owners have complained, but have begrudgingly put up with them.
There are now new owners moved into various apartments in the building and they will not tolerate them at all. A couple of times, the falcons have swooped and attached people on their balconies, which can be quite scary at the speed they come in at.
Last year, the Body Corporate committee voted to cover the planter box outside our kitchen, stopping them from nesting there. They being clever birds, went up to the next level and nested there.
So, the issue has come to a head, with the committee voting unanimously to cover all of our planter boxes.
My concern is that it's 'nature', and we humans have taken away their natural habitat - the cliff faces down at the beach, where a boardwalk has been put in and easily accessible by domestic dogs, cats and humans, making it not safe for them there. So the falcons have gone to a higher point - to a man-made structure that we've provided.
I wrote a letter to the committee asking if they would at least let me explore some possibilities of compromise or alternative solutions, as previously no-one had even asked us about it, just made decisions by those that were the most vocal.
I'm pleased to report that the committee has agreed to hear my perspective and will listen to proposals that could manage this difficult situation between humans and nature in our community.
They are all intelligent people, just frustrated by noise, un-hygienic mess and being attacked, so I do understand.
However, Nature can't stand up for itself, so I'm being their voice.
Australia has the worst record of species extinction in the world: since European settlement, 27 species of mammals have disappeared entirely. 1,500 species of other life forms - birds, reptiles, plants, amphibians - as well as further mammal species, are currently vulnerable or endangered.
Does anyone have any suggestions of how we could more harmoniously live together with the falcons?
Is there a way of training them so they don't attack people wanting to sit out on their balconies and enjoy their view?
Is there a relocation program?
Someone mentioned a falcon program at the university in Orange, NSW, Australia?
Ok, so a reminder, ONLY POSITIVE comments that will help move this forward please. I know this will be upsetting for most of you, but please respect that I am trying to help, and it needs to be done with a voice of reason, to be heard and acted on.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: