THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 03:44:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pigott, Not Pigott, Or Will We Ever Know for Sure  (Read 4938 times)
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« on: 09-Dec-13, 09:39:42 AM »

The watchers have provided us with some excellent pictures of the epic battle for downtown Rochester on Wednesday and Thursday, and its aftermath.  From the pictures we know that the unidentified female is banded and that she has some notches in her wings, particularly one in the right wing near the shoulder.  We also know that her auricular patch has fairly distinctive heart shapes. 

So...Pigott, not Pigott, or we'll never know for sure.  Anyone ready to call it any of these three ways?

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09-Dec-13, 12:55:41 PM »

The watchers have provided us with some excellent pictures of the epic battle for downtown Rochester on Wednesday and Thursday, and its aftermath.  From the pictures we know that the unidentified female is banded and that she has some notches in her wings, particularly one in the right wing near the shoulder.  We also know that her auricular patch has fairly distinctive heart shapes. 

So...Pigott, not Pigott, or we'll never know for sure.  Anyone ready to call it any of these three ways?

I'm saying Pigott.  It's not like she hasn't scuffled with Beauty DT before plus she & DC bonded in the nestbox this past spring so she knows what she wants. Pigott wasn't seen by watchers at BS until the battling stopped and the intruder was seen flying south. It's just a shame that a nestbox can't be put somewhere in Brighton for poor Pigott that wants a nest and family. She sure chose the wrong building to make her home.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-Dec-13, 01:16:58 PM »

Thanks Kris.  I guess I'm in the "we may never know for sure" camp, although many things point toward Pigott.  In any case, I love all of our Rochester falcons equally, and wish they could all live happily ever after.  However, that's not nature's way. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-Dec-13, 01:50:16 PM »

She was never ID'd so we'll never know but salmon colored chest and heart shape also too coincidental.

Christiane
Eyas

Like Count: 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-Dec-13, 04:02:12 PM »

Question:   Wasn't Pigott seen during the summer/fall with missing feathers/disheveled due to a bad storm we had?  Christiane
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-Dec-13, 04:30:19 PM »

She had some missing tailfeathers, Christiane, but they were from a close encounter with either an air conditioner or heating duct, or some such thing, and not from a storm.  The missing tailfeathers have all grown back.

Christiane
Eyas

Like Count: 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-Dec-13, 06:44:54 PM »

Thanks for the info, Patsy; good to know.  She does look really good now, anyway.  Christiane
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: