THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 02:23:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woodmen falconcam 2013  (Read 20699 times)
DebInTexas
Juvie

Like Count: 13

George and Gracie

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 28-May-13, 05:11:43 PM »

I looked at the Earthcam archive - little one was barely alive around midday Monday.  It was no longer breathing around 5:00 pm.  And yes, the archive from this morning shows the adult (might have been Mintaka) using the dead one as food for the other 4.  Quite disturbing, to say the least.  After thinking all day about it, Peregrines do feed on birds, so maybe it makes sense in the bird world.  I sure hope there's no danger to the others from this one - maybe it was just too weak to survive.  I assume they'll check the 4 closely at banding.
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 28-May-13, 07:49:10 PM »

I looked at the Earthcam archive - little one was barely alive around midday Monday.  It was no longer breathing around 5:00 pm.  And yes, the archive from this morning shows the adult (might have been Mintaka) using the dead one as food for the other 4.  Quite disturbing, to say the least.  After thinking all day about it, Peregrines do feed on birds, so maybe it makes sense in the bird world.  I sure hope there's no danger to the others from this one - maybe it was just too weak to survive.  I assume they'll check the 4 closely at banding.
Very sad to read that this happened. It is very rare; parents will normally carry a lost chick gently out of the nest. I have seen this kind of behavior only once before, back in 2004, at another nest. I wish it had been possible to find out what caused the loss of this little chick.

Could you please tell me where would I find the archive you mentioned?
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 28-May-13, 07:53:22 PM »

Very sad to read that this happened. It is very rare; parents will normally carry a lost chick gently out of the nest. I have seen this kind of behavior only once before, back in 2004, at another nest. I wish it had been possible to find out what caused the loss of this little chick.

Could you please tell me where would I find the archive you mentioned?

I was also wondering if a link to the archive could be posted.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 28-May-13, 08:30:54 PM »

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/nebraska/omaha/falconcam/

Go to 6-7 am, they are being fed the deceased eyas.  crying  In the archives button

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 08-Jun-13, 03:15:52 PM »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130604/NEWS/706049942/1694 This year's chicks, whose father is Mintaka, received a health checkup and their identification bands Monday.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: