THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 05:20:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buffalo Falcon News 2013  (Read 110492 times)
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: 11-Aug-13, 05:23:19 PM »

I am so grateful that BB was in such good hands, and had a wonderful advocate for her release. The following was posted to  http://blessthebeastsinc.webs.com/:

The Secret is Out

Several months ago I was asked by the New York State DEC to help care for a certain problematic Peregrine Falcon from Buffalo. She came to stay with me until her final disposition could be determined. While in Buffalo she developed a penchant for attacking men in a parking lot near her nest. She'd fly 1500-1700 feet to warn off any unsuspecting man getting out of his car. What was so unusual about this little lady is that there was a day-care center just below her nest, but she never attacked a woman or a child. Now you can make several humorous inferences from this (and over the months we certainly did) but it was becoming a problem and the DEC was asked to deal with it.

I am happy to report that, last week, Peregrine Falcon BB was released back to the wild in Northern NY. And while not a great solution, it was probably the best scenario for her situation. It was done with the understanding that, it is probably easier to ask a Peregrine Falcon to relocate and hopefully find a new mate in a different habitat than it is to educate a human populace that, for the most part, does not possess the attention span required to learn how to live peacefully with a very beautiful and territorial bird. In order to understand wildlife you must first appreciate it. Unfortunately this appreciation is sorely lacking in the general public.

Thanks to everyone who expressed concern for BB while she was with me and thanks to the DEC for entrusting her to my care. It was a little intimidating to know that all eyes were on me while caring for her, even though I've been doing wildlife rehabilitation for over 25 years. Many people would question my qualifications and methods over the past several months. From the photos on our photo page you can see how strong and beautiful she was on the day of her release. It truly was a privilege to care for her and to spend time with her. Her release was the highlight of my summer.
~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: 11-Aug-13, 05:41:07 PM »

Thanks for sharing Wendi's post!

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 11-Aug-13, 05:53:43 PM »

The Secret is Out

While in Buffalo she developed a penchant for attacking men in a parking lot near her nest. She'd fly 1500-1700 feet to warn off any unsuspecting man getting out of his car. What was so unusual about this little lady is that there was a day-care center just below her nest, but she never attacked a woman or a child.
some man did something, we'll never know who or what but you can bet it happened
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 11-Aug-13, 05:56:45 PM »

it is probably easier to ask a Peregrine Falcon to relocate and hopefully find a new mate in a different habitat than it is to educate a human populace that, for the most part, does not possess the attention span required to learn how to live peacefully with a very beautiful and territorial bird. In order to understand wildlife you must first appreciate it. Unfortunately this appreciation is sorely lacking in the general public.

Amen!  Great post, sounds like she had the best care possible.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 11-Aug-13, 06:40:32 PM »

Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing!  I'm also glad that BB was in the care of this person and that she realized she needed to fly free! Kudos to her!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: 11-Aug-13, 06:47:55 PM »

I'm very grateful that BB was set free to fly the skies again. Thank you!  clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
nycbird
Fledgling

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 11-Aug-13, 07:03:48 PM »

I wonder if she attacked all men, or just the ones wearing hard-hats.......you know......like the babynappers that came around every year??  Women and children in dayschool playgrounds don't usually wear hard-hats.

nycbird
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 12-Aug-13, 06:41:03 AM »

I wonder if she attacked all men, or just the ones wearing hard-hats.......you know......like the babynappers that came around every year??  Women and children in dayschool playgrounds don't usually wear hard-hats.

I know the one guy was just getting out of his car and I believe no hard hat
~Sage~
Juvie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: 12-Aug-13, 07:09:20 AM »

These were med and dental students, people going to work at UB and the VA, and people from the neighborhood, none of whom wear hard hats.

Roof workers at UB and VA of course wore hard hats
« Last Edit: 12-Aug-13, 08:38:37 AM by ~Sage~ » Logged

nycbird
Fledgling

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 12-Aug-13, 10:52:11 AM »

Truly a mystery..........hope she finds a natural cliff nest site like Bobbin did.

nycbird
~Sage~
Juvie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: 12-Aug-13, 03:50:03 PM »

Are Rosetta's feet still blue?

I just caught this on the UB cam, she appears unbanded and is probably Dixie. Earlier this afternoon, Barb B caught a different banded falcon in the box, not BB though.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 12-Aug-13, 03:53:36 PM »

Are Rosetta's feet still blue?

I just caught this on the UB cam, she appears unbanded and is probably Dixie. Earlier this afternoon, Barb B caught a different banded falcon in the box, not BB though.

Yes Sage, Rosetta's feet are still blue and YIKES another falcon!! I'm sure soon lots will be passing through, especially juvies!! Look for our 3!

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 14-Aug-13, 03:28:34 PM »

it is probably easier to ask a Peregrine Falcon to relocate and hopefully find a new mate in a different habitat than it is to educate a human populace that, for the most part, does not possess the attention span required to learn how to live peacefully with a very beautiful and territorial bird. In order to understand wildlife you must first appreciate it. Unfortunately this appreciation is sorely lacking in the general public.

Amen!  Great post, sounds like she had the best care possible.

Totally agree, Carly! I am so glad that BB received such good care. I particularly noticed the part of the post which you quoted above; sad, but true. It is obvious that the person who cared for BB does appreciate these beautiful birds.

I love the photos of BB being released. I wonder if there have been any sightings of her since then.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 13-Oct-13, 08:42:01 AM »

http://blessthebeastsinc.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15024019  Photos of BB's release. Not sure if anyone saw these!

1 of 9 pics.  She's expressing herself!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 13-Oct-13, 09:00:23 AM »

http://blessthebeastsinc.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15024019  Photos of BB's release. Not sure if anyone saw these!

1 of 9 pics.  She's expressing herself!

Unhand me hooman!!   wub2 wub2
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: