THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 08:38:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Potted Plant Owls are back in Johannesburg  (Read 123579 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 26-Jan-16, 01:34:15 PM »

How awful this is.  crying In Johannesburg and NYC's Central Park and in all too many other locations, people seem not to understand the far-reaching consequences of poisoning rats. My best wishes to to Pappa and the juvenile. This is a most horrible ending to a truly wonderful saga.

Dot in PA

Hard to understand..people really need to be educated about secondary rodenticide poisoning.  If true, it is a horrible ending..fly free, PPO. sorrow

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 26-Jan-16, 01:36:30 PM »

After reading yesterday's post, I tried to keep hoping that PPO might recover and return, despite how bad the situation seemed.

But having just read today's post, I am heartbroken and devastated that PPO was very probably poisoned. This is a huge loss. PPO has simply been the most remarkable, most beautiful owl anywhere for the past number of years, and she has taught and charmed countless people in so many countries.

I also feel so bad for Pappa and their young owlet. I so much hope that they will stay safe.

Cannot write anything more at the moment . . .  crying  crying  crying
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 26-Jan-16, 02:58:37 PM »

After reading yesterday's post, I tried to keep hoping that PPO might recover and return, despite how bad the situation seemed.

But having just read today's post, I am heartbroken and devastated that PPO was very probably poisoned. This is a huge loss. PPO has simply been the most remarkable, most beautiful owl anywhere for the past number of years, and she has taught and charmed countless people in so many countries.

I also feel so bad for Pappa and their young owlet. I so much hope that they will stay safe.

Cannot write anything more at the moment . . .  crying  crying  crying

With them saying Pappa and baby are still around,  I also worry about them getting poisoned too.  Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 26-Jan-16, 04:51:55 PM »

Sad crying Cry

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 26-Jan-16, 05:44:33 PM »

So sad..... Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 27-Jan-16, 07:01:38 AM »

I'm not keeping up with messages pouring in on face book and email. Thank you to everyone who shared with us the PPO experience. Some good news in amongst this tragedy: We saw Pappa on a rooftop a short while ago, hooting. A minute later, their little owlet chick started 'hissing' / calling for food. We saw both of them fly together into the wetland. PPO's little one is still alive and well, and Pappa is not alone now.

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 27-Jan-16, 08:06:42 AM »

excellent news!

I'm not keeping up with messages pouring in on face book and email. Thank you to everyone who shared with us the PPO experience. Some good news in amongst this tragedy: We saw Pappa on a rooftop a short while ago, hooting. A minute later, their little owlet chick started 'hissing' / calling for food. We saw both of them fly together into the wetland. PPO's little one is still alive and well, and Pappa is not alone now.

Dot in PA
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 28-Jan-16, 01:32:45 PM »

For South African PPO fans: Grab a copy of "Die Beeld" newspaper today - 28 Jan. There's a nice article about PPO.
I've been asked to provide a rough translation to the link that Cheryl Decker copied and paste below. Here is the rough summary:
"The Spotted Eagle Owl known as Pot Plant Owl who won the hearts of people around the world, is possibly dead from rat poisoning. She became well known in 2008 when she chose to nest in a pot plant on the balcony of Allan and Tracy Eccles. Allan said "We suspect she ate a poisoned rat from somewhere in the complex after we told people not to use rat poison. She came to the balcony and was struggling to breath a few weeks ago and we suspect she came to say goodbye." Pappa and the little chick are okay. "No poisons should be used in gardens for any reason" says Allan. And then the article talks about how PPO helped save a wetland with the petition everyone signed and her coffee-table book / photos. Allan ends off quoted in the article as saying "It was an honour to know PPO. I hope the male (Pappa) and the young owlet (little chick) will come and still visit".

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 28-Jan-16, 06:22:50 PM »

Hopefully dad finds a new mate!  heart

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 03-Mar-16, 06:13:08 AM »

Life here goes on....Pappa found a new mate and brought her to the nest site. He showed her the pot plant and kicked around soil. She watched and hopped in the pot plant after him, 'talking' to him as she did. The jury is still out whether she's a keeper and if the pot plant will be the chosen nest site.
In other news: the neighbours who put down rat poison were asked to remove the outside aviary attracting rats. Hopefully, this will spell the end of rat poisons required.
Will keep you posted

Sad and  thumbsup

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 03-Mar-16, 12:36:36 PM »

Glad to hear there may be a new mate there!  yes

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 20-May-16, 06:55:21 PM »

PPO (right), with his new love interest, (left)   heart wub2

Hope they like the POT!!!  devil

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 25-Aug-16, 07:32:43 PM »

From Pot Plant Owl on FB

And this morning, we have an owl... New lady is quite calm. I said hello and she looked at me cautiously before looking slightly away.

Picture at PPOs FB page

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 26-Aug-16, 11:53:08 AM »

From FB

Confirmation of one egg. All going well. Pappa visited the balcony last night and spent a good few minutes looking at the egg from the pillar. Then he hooted...as if pleased...and flew away

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 26-Aug-16, 12:19:24 PM »

thumbsup

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: