THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 09:23:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mill Creek Falcon cam in Kentucky  (Read 14097 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26-Apr-13, 04:56:54 PM »

Oh the poor baby, this is why 4 to 5 eggs is not a good idea. Only the strong survive! Very sad.  Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26-Apr-13, 05:00:54 PM »

Sad

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26-Apr-13, 05:14:05 PM »

I am so sorry about the loss of the littlest chick. Poor little one didn't have a chance.  Sad

The Wilmington nest also had five eggs; four hatched. The fourth chick was not being fed, and was removed from the nest to be cared for until he/she is stronger.

At the James River Bridge, the third chick was not fed, and was left to die. I would have liked to see that little one taken out of the nest, cared for and given a chance to survive. It has been done before successfully at this nest.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26-Apr-13, 05:46:01 PM »

I am so sorry about the loss of the littlest chick. Poor little one didn't have a chance.  Sad

The Wilmington nest also had five eggs; four hatched. The fourth chick was not being fed, and was removed from the nest to be cared for until he/she is stronger.

At the James River Bridge, the third chick was not fed, and was left to die. I would have liked to see that little one taken out of the nest, cared for and given a chance to survive. It has been done before successfully at this nest.

I knew about the Wilmington nest but didn't know about James River.  So sad-they've had issues at this site before about lack of food. There were questions at one time of the male possibly having 2 mates-don't know if that's true though.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26-Apr-13, 06:21:35 PM »

I knew about the Wilmington nest but didn't know about James River.  So sad-they've had issues at this site before about lack of food. There were questions at one time of the male possibly having 2 mates-don't know if that's true though.

Seems to be an epidemic!  Shocked

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21-Feb-14, 07:53:10 AM »

First falcon egg of the 2014 season (that we know of anyway) caught by Carolyn over at BCAW - laid last night.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21-Feb-14, 07:55:20 AM »

WOW, that is early!!!  surprise

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21-Feb-14, 07:24:59 PM »

Holy early egg laying!  Shocked

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09-May-14, 07:17:22 AM »

Update:

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources (KDFWR) reported a territorial conflict between peregrine falcons impacted the Mill Creek nest box this year. An outside falcon intruded the territory of the nesting pair, "Fabian" and "Diana." Before the eggs were expected to hatch, a new adult falcon appeared, and the resident male, Fabian, was not returning to the nest box. Unfortunately, the territorial conflict and absence of help for the nesting female, Diana, disrupted the eggs' incubation stage and prohibited the chicks' full development.

After it was determined the remaining eggs would not hatch, KDFWR officials collected the eggs from the nest box.

In April, two different male falcons (neither of which were Fabian) were observed at the nest box.  It seems there is still some competition for the territory and Diana will likely choose a new mate soon.

According to KDFWR officials, territorial conflict is a natural part of the peregrine falcon's life cycle, and the agency has observed events like this in the past at other nests. Despite these brief disturbances in productivity, Kentucky's nesting population continues to thrive.

KDFWR will continue to monitor this nest from the ground and we'll continue to keep you updated as new information becomes available, and thank you for watching with us.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15-Mar-15, 07:26:15 PM »

It seems that Diana is still the resident female this year. Don't know who the male is.

I thought they might stop at four eggs:

But now they have five!

I hope everything will go well for them this year.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15-Mar-15, 09:19:45 PM »

5 eggs!  Thanks, Alison..hope things work out this year too!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01-Mar-16, 09:18:31 AM »

East of the Mississippi peregrine egg season has begun! "Diana" at Mill Creek Kentucky's LG&E's Mill Creek Generating Station, has laid an egg this morning. 3/1/16   heart

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07-Apr-16, 11:44:49 AM »

Once again this year Diana and her mate are incubating five eggs:

Hatching could begin at any time . . .
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10-Mar-18, 07:44:09 PM »

March 10, 2018

I hadn't checked this nest for a few days, and when I went to the site today, it seemed that incubation was under way. After a while, the bird on the nest moved and I could see two eggs.

Later, as the light was fading fast, I had a clear view of three eggs, one of which looks newer than the others.

https://lge-ku.com/environment/plants-and-wildlife/peregrine-falcons/cam
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10-Mar-18, 08:55:16 PM »

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: