THE FORUM

20-Apr-24, 12:37:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evanston Library Falconcam 2013  (Read 14857 times)
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10-May-13, 11:00:14 AM »

I can't tell if she's feeding them or just marveling at the mess!
She is feeding her eyasses! She has prey between her feet!

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10-May-13, 03:35:01 PM »

Hurray!!!!   heart heart heart heart

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10-May-13, 03:54:21 PM »

I'm so glad all four chicks have now hatched for Nona and Squawker. Great news!
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10-May-13, 07:45:18 PM »

hatch1 hatch1 hatch1 hatch1 yippee

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23-May-13, 08:19:48 AM »

Evanston Public Library to hold annual falcon banding ceremony

Do not be surprised if you see falcons swooping over downtown Evanston in the next few weeks.

May 30th banding

http://dailynorthwestern.com/2013/05/21/city/evanston-public-library-to-hold-annual-falcon-banding-ceremony/

dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 23-May-13, 11:56:11 AM »

they've been swooping for a long time already. The scrape, after all, is only on the third floor.
Every year it gets hard for a while NOT to see a falcon in Evanston.
This photo is a few days old - forgot to post it because I was laughing too hard at that state birds article Wink
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 26-May-13, 04:06:00 PM »

apparently on Friday the eyases had TWO birds delivered for dinner.
Good thing they don't have the phone number of Dave's Italian Kitchen across the street...
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26-May-13, 11:20:24 PM »

So happy the Evanston Library falcons are doing so well Dale!   2thumbsup

Peregrines know no borders.....
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 31-May-13, 11:33:19 AM »

Names and Band IDs (bands all black over red)
M - Gies 50/N,
M - Platon 51/N,
M - Humphrey 52/N,
F - Shae 42/W
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31-May-13, 12:23:26 PM »

Names and Band IDs (bands all black over red)
M - Gies 50/N,
M - Platon 51/N,
M - Humphrey 52/N,
F - Shae 42/W

Humphrey, I love it!! Oh there goes Humphrey!!   2thumbsup

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: 31-May-13, 12:58:31 PM »

My African Grey is named Humphrey or Humph for short.  Tough name to type.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31-May-13, 01:27:55 PM »

2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 01-Jun-13, 07:25:31 PM »

A falcon by any other name

Evanston Public Library Director Karen Danczak Lyons, with suggestions coming from staff and fellow administrators, had plenty of possibilities for the naming of Evanston’s new falcons on Thursday. The library list draws from history or literature or language for falcon names.

• Shae, the only female in the group, is named for a character on “Game of Thrones”.

• Gies, was named in honor of biologist Matthewe Gies’ work supporting Chicago area peregrines

• Platon Karatev is the “little falcon,” character in “War and Peace,” and portrayed as “endlessly optimistic, kind and generous.”

• Humphrey, is named after Humphrey Bogart, the actor who played Sam Spade in the noir film, “The Maltese Falcon.”

EVANSTON — Children and parents jostled for good views Thursday at the Main Public Library during a banding and naming ceremony for the library’s new baby falcons.

As Field Museum bird expert Mary Hennen suited up and prepared to fetch the birds from their outdoor nest, one precocious child jumped ahead of the plot.

“Are you getting ready to go get the babies?” the child called out.

Indeed, Hennen was preparing to bring the baby raptors, born earlier in the month, inside for banding, the 10th year it has been done at the library.

Hennen, accompanied by veterinarian Dr. Barbara Royal and Matthew Gies, a biologist at the Shedd Aquarium, worked briskly banding the squawking falcons for later identification.

“This one is a boy,’’ Hennen announced, holding the bird up to camera flashes and applause from her audience.

“His name is Humphrey,’’ said Evanston Public Library Director Karen Danczak Lyons, picking the name from actor Humphrey Bogart who starred in “The Maltese Falcon.”

Lyons was aided by an armful of falcon references suggested by staff, and drawn from literary and other sources.

No doubt some young author in attendance could hatch a pretty good plot from some of the back details made possible through Hennen’s research.

The two adult falcons, who nest atop the library and make swoops between the building and the Carlson Building to the south, are practically longtime residents.

The adult female, Nona, is originally from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and has spent nine years at the site, according to Hennen.

The adult male, Squawker, has spent five years at the site after originally coming from Pleasant Prairie, Wis.

“The majority of the young birds we never hear about again, but a few of the Evanston offspring have been sighted,” said Hennen, who has been director of the program (fieldmuseum.org/explore/illinois-peregrines) since 1989 and took over in 1990.

Deborah, part of the 2009-banding group, has been breeding at University of Wisconsin at Oshkosh.

“This is her third year at the site and she currently has four young,” Hennen said.

One of the Evanston young from last year went north to Ringle, Wis., she said, but unfortunately was found dead in August of last year.

The Evanston Peregrine Watch has been keeping track of the latest fledglings, positing photos and updates from the library’s falcon cam at www.epl.org/falconcam/.

Hennen said the young leave their nest when they are roughly 40 to 42 days old, or about three weeks from now.

After fledgling, the young birds spend a couple of weeks learning to fly and then a couple of weeks learning to hunt, she said.

During that period, Evanston Peregrine Watch members “do an excellent job of tracking the young and assisting with any fledglings that get grounded,” she said.

In general, thanks to groups like the Evanston Peregrine Watch, the falcon – once on the federal endangered species list – have “come a long way over 25 years, and I would say is doing well.”

Kelly Froehlich was among the parents who brought their children to see nature up close.

“I thought it was a great opportunity for the kids to see nature up close and to make it real for them, rather than just something they see on TV,’’ she said.
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: 29-Jun-13, 11:16:06 AM »

local photographer Jerry Goldner's images of this year's Evanston fledglings

http://www.flickr.com/photos/profilesofnature/sets/72157634373995737/

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 29-Jun-13, 01:50:19 PM »