THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 06:36:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BirdWatching magazine article on Falcons Clash!  (Read 2198 times)
huddiecat
Juvie

Like Count: 44

View Profile
« on: 27-Apr-13, 07:50:01 AM »

Hi All,

Don't know if anyone has already seen/posted this somewhere, but yesterday we got our new "Bird Watching" magazine and the cover article is on "Falcons Clash".  It is about the Cleveland, Ohio falcons by Chad and Chris Saladin.  AWESOME photography!  There are a few other Falcon related tidbits in this issue also.

Suzanne and Don in Ithaca
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09-May-13, 10:05:57 PM »

I'm sticking this here as it already has the Ohio Peregrines in the thread.

Too early for any signs of hatching just yet at Clinic on Sunday, but caught Dipper perched next to the head of his prey (unfortunately, looked like a meadowlark head) while Ely was steadily incubating. He was repeatedly gaping, a behavior where the head is thrown back and the bird appears like he is swallowing air. Although in still shots it can look to less experienced watchers as if he’s calling, there are no sounds made during gaping and it’s actually a very different “look” than when they are vocalizing. Researchers are not sure why gaping takes place, but there are a couple theories: one is that gaping is a peregrine’s way of dislodging feathers that may get caught in the throat following preening. The other theory is that gaping equalizes the air pressure in their ears after a change in altitude or “sudden changes in barometric pressure, as when a cold front moves in” (described by Steve Sherrod in “Behavior of Fledgling Peregrines”).

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-May-13, 10:29:59 PM »

good post  Cool now I know what to call it when they do this. I thought they were trying to adjust food in their crop when I've seen this.  thanx

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: