THE FORUM

24-Apr-24, 05:56:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DNR Falcon cam Minnesota  (Read 2069 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 30-Apr-13, 08:36:36 PM »

http://webcams.dnr.state.mn.us/falcon/

There's been some birdy-mama drama at St. Paul's Bremer Tower.
The peregrine falcon that nests in a box on the east side of the downtown building's 26th floor has returned this season. But Jill, as she was named by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, is no longer with her mate, Sota.
Jill and Sota raised 28 chicks, but the DNR suspects Sota died over the winter.
Now Jill has a new mate and has laid three eggs. Her chicks should hatch around Memorial Day, the DNR said.
The DNR is live-streaming its FalconCam, which was installed last year and financed by local businesses, the DNR and wildlife lovers like you.
Sota was nearly 19 years old, a ripe old age for a wild peregrine, and may have died of natural causes, said Jackie Fallon, vice president of field operations for the Midwest Peregrine Society. But it's also possible that the new, younger male could have engaged Sota — who was missing talons — in a fatal territorial battle.
"Peregrines are extremely territorial," she said, noting that a falcon missing talons "would have a hard time trying to fend off a young, stronger bird."
Sota's fate may never be known unless his remains and his identification band are recovered. Fallon said she's hoping to find out because Sota was "very special for me."
"His father was the first adult peregrine I had ever handled, 20-some years ago," she said.
Fallon plans to go to Bremer Tower, the Bremer Financial Corp. headquarters at 445 Minnesota St., to identify the new male next week.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: