THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 05:45:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deer living below Platt St [Pedestrian] bridge  (Read 4291 times)
brobeta
Pipping

Like Count: 7

Backyard bird watching at its best!

View Profile
« on: 22-Dec-10, 12:37:06 AM »

I had business on State Street this morning and had some time to kill afterward so got a fresh cup of coffee and walked out to the middle of the Platt St Bridge.   I haven't been out in a while.  Nothing but some ring billed gulls flying but I couldn't help notice the deer living below the bridge.  There were three I saw bedded down next to the chain link fence and from the tracks in the snow it appears they are confined to the relatively small area between the fence and the service road.  They appear to be foraging on the trees and bushes in that area but there isn't much to eat!  Lots of human activity too, yet the deer seemed oblivious.  IS anyone feeding them?  If hunger forces them out of  that area is there a way for them to get out - perhaps into the gorge or areas down river near Maplewood, (where I know there is a resident population of deer)?  Surely others have seen them - does anyone know their fate?
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22-Dec-10, 02:36:37 AM »

Brobeta - Were you referring to the east side of the gorge near the brewery/observation deck, or the west side close to RG&E?

West Side: We have seen deer there all year long.  We have watched them swim across from the east side and in the winter cross the ice.  I don't know if anyone is feeding the deer, but but we did see some of the red-shirt patrol (on bicycles) stop and throw apples below this fall.  Don't know if they still do. I'm sure there is a way for them to get out of the area. We have never heard of any assistance given or any rescues.

Easr Side:  The only time the watchers were worried about deer is when we observed 2 fawns living on the east side of the gorge wall near the observation deck.  We did not see any adult with them.  We were worried that as they grew, they would be trapped in that area.  Somehow they got out without incident.

Joyce

brobeta
Pipping

Like Count: 7

Backyard bird watching at its best!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-Dec-10, 08:15:03 AM »

They were on the West Side, RG&E.  I've seen deer in the area before as well - never seen them swim the river and for now, it is running too high I think for that to be a possibility.  Surprised they are staying in such a confined area with so little food.    Deer have become so adaptable to urban/suburban life among the humans!  It seems every little woodlot or conservation easement has deer living there or traveling thru as they move from m one "island" to another.    Just as our beloved Peregrines have adapted to tall buildings instead of tall cliffs!  (How is that for a segue back to topic!)

Merry Christmas everyone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: