THE FORUM

16-Apr-24, 02:21:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Team Peregrine  (Read 19726 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13-Sep-10, 03:10:08 PM »

An article I read on Twitter today about the race:

Birders flock to Muckrace

SAVANNAH — At dusk Friday, a steely-eyed line of birders stood at the crest of a hill on the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge, overlooking the marsh below.

In the fading light, they peered through their scopes and binoculars hoping to find one last species to add to their tallies.

“I’ve got a sandhill crane,” said one, oblivious to the mosquitoes buzzing her head.

These die-hard bird-watchers are part of the Montezuma Muckrace, a 24-hour competition to spot the most diverse number of species.

“This is our 14th annual Muckrace,” Frank Moses, director of the Montezuma Audubon Center, said. “We’ve got 22 teams out here trying to see as many different birds as they can see.”

The competition began at 7 p.m. Friday and continues until 7 p.m. Saturday. Nearly 70 avid birders are spread throughout the 7,000 acre complex in hopes of catching a glimpse of some migrating birds.

When a team member spots a new bird it’s written on a list. When time runs out on Saturday all the teams will compare lists and the group with the most bird species wins.

Moses said the competition among birders can get pretty stiff, with some teams sitting up in the dark of night to listen for bird calls.

“We’re going to camp at the Audubon Center tonight,” Moses said, motioning to the surrounding members of his team, the NorEgrets. “Some teams will camp out in the middle of the complex to try to get a jump on the rest of us.”

The winning team will receive prizes, but Moses said the real winner in the competition is the refuge.

Through pledges, registration fees and soliciting sponsors, each team will raise money to help improve the wildlife complex.

“Our team has raised over $500 so far,” Moses said. “Through the whole competition we have about $7,000 and we will continue to raise money even after the Muckrace is over.”

This year, Audubon New York and the Friends of the Montezuma Wetlands hope to raise $13,000 to help restore a 30-acre wetland on the Northern Montezuma Wildlife Management Area.

During a break from her scope, Jane Graves, president of the Friends of the Montezuma Wetlands, gave some insight into the mind of a birder.

“Birders are passionate people,” she said. “We’re always keeping lists – lists of how many birds we see in a year, how many we see in our lifetime – most of the people here do that.”

Graves said migration patterns make September an excellent time to see a wide array of species at the Montezuma refuge.

“It’s a very popular spot for birders,” she said. “Many of the shore birds are migrating from the Arctic to South America.”

Graves said some rare birds have been spotted in the area this week, and many of the birders are hoping to see them.

“The glossy ibis and the little blue heron are rare to be this far upstate, but we’ve seen them around for about four weeks and we’re hoping they stayed around for the Muckrace.”

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16-Sep-10, 06:57:08 PM »

This is the Montezuma Muckrace bird list...from Suzanne to MAK to me. It's small so get out your magnify glasses. The ones marked with a check are the ones they saw! Thank you and have a nice day!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16-Sep-10, 07:05:05 PM »

Part 2

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16-Sep-10, 07:55:00 PM »

star   Thanks Donna you are the forum go to girl!    notworthy

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
huddiecat
Juvie

Like Count: 44

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17-Sep-10, 04:39:43 PM »

Thank you Donna  notworthy
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"