THE FORUM

16-Apr-24, 04:04:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FKNK condemns shooting of spoonbills (Malta)  (Read 5872 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 21-Feb-11, 06:30:09 AM »

Expresses support with BirdLife's efforts to curtail illegal practices

The hunting federation has vowed to cancel the membership of any member hunter found guilty by a court of shooting at spoonbills that sought shelter in Malta two days ago.

In a statement, the FKNK said that if any of the people who had anything to do with the atrocity was a member, it would immediately cancel his membership.

It pointed out that a person can only re-apply for a licence to carry a shotgun for hunting purposes if he or she can supply evidence of a membership with an organisation that defends hunting and trapping.

The FKNK said that it did not have any control over this and it was, therefore, up to the authorities to take heed of its assertions over this ironic situation.

“If such persons manage to find refuge in the folds of other hunting and trapping organisations, they will still have the opportunity to carry a shotgun for hunting purposes and continue to harm the hunting and trapping fraternity and the environment at large,” it said.

The FKNK said that the reports of the spoonbills’ visit should have been of particular interest to both birdwatchers and serious hunters and trappers, since it was not a common sight or occurrence.

However, it seemed there were certain people who felt they were above the law and society’s legal parameters and continued to flaunt their unruly prowess thinking they could get away with it with little or no consequence.

“The shooting of illegal species is a subject of complete condemnation not only from protectionist quarters but also from environment conservation ones such as the FKNK.

“The FKNK supports the efforts of Birdlife Malta and of all those public sectors involved in curtailing such illegal practices including, but not limited to, the Administrative Law Enforcement unit within the Police Corps.

“Whilst the FKNK rejects all efforts by any sector to try to generalise such issues to reflect badly on the hunting fraternity, it will continue to do its utmost to assist with all its resources to eliminate these remnants of such illegal environmental acts,” it promised.

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21-Feb-11, 07:24:21 AM »

You know, I wonder if anything is going to put a stop to this. I think I am right in saying that the EU found against Malta for its hunting during migration seasons, and even fined them... which Malta simply ignored. Also, I think their president (or prime minister?) more or less told Europe to mind its own business.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-Feb-11, 07:58:40 AM »

You know, I wonder if anything is going to put a stop to this. I think I am right in saying that the EU found against Malta for its hunting during migration seasons, and even fined them... which Malta simply ignored. Also, I think their president (or prime minister?) more or less told Europe to mind its own business.

Some people just don't get IT!!!

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-Feb-11, 08:22:20 AM »

Some people just don't get IT!!!

And I fear they never will.
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-Mar-11, 05:11:07 PM »

You know, I wonder if anything is going to put a stop to this.
only open season on illegal hunters...and that will never happen.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27-Apr-11, 10:53:37 PM »

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110427/local/hunters-hold-fire.362447 see video here

Hunters 'observing the rules' (MALTA) clap

5Share
Print Email
Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 08:23
Hunters 'observing the rules'

The video footage above, taken yesterday in the Burmarrad/Mosta countryside, often termed as a notorious area for hunting illegalities, shows how hunters held fire as over a hundred birds of prey and other migratory birds flew over, the St Hubert Hunters Association said.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27-Apr-11, 11:11:05 PM »

Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-Apr-11, 08:15:37 AM »

Well, here we go again. Found this on the NL site

Purple Herons in the Netherlands are rare breeding birds, they are therefore on the Red List. This bird was shot down over Malta. A vet could save the bird, but one shot had leg amputated.

Officer of BirdLife Malta with an injured kestrel.

Officer of BirdLife Malta shows a cuckoo shot.

So much for peace over there. Horrible!!

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-Apr-11, 08:48:13 AM »

Well, here we go again. Found this on the NL site

Purple Herons in the Netherlands are rare breeding birds, they are therefore on the Red List. This bird was shot down over Malta. A vet could save the bird, but one shot had leg amputated.

Officer of BirdLife Malta with an injured kestrel.

Officer of BirdLife Malta shows a cuckoo shot.

So much for peace over there. Horrible!!
snarl

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29-Apr-11, 01:17:03 PM »

no

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07-May-11, 06:36:17 AM »

Malta spring hunting out of control!

BirdLife Europe, together with its national Partner BirdLife Malta, strongly asked for an immediate suspension of the ongoing spring hunting season in Malta, in order to prevent more protected birds from being killed and injured.

In a highly contested move that caused concerns across Europe, the Maltese government had allowed, for the period of 13-30 April 2011, the shooting of a limited number of Turtle Dove Streptopelia turtur and Common Quail Coturnix coturnix using a derogation under the EU Birds Directive.

However, BirdLife Malta’s field surveys on the ground show that this open season is used as a cover for many illegal activities that put at risk many birds of European conservation concern.

Since 13th April alone – the start of the hunting season – BirdLife Malta has received 17 shot birds including rare species such as Black Kite Milvus migrans, Purple Heron Ardea purpurea, Lesser Kestrel Falco naumanni, and Montagu’s Harrier Cyrus pygargus . The real total number of shot protected birds is likely to be much higher.

According to Paul Debono, Director of BirdLife Malta, “This shows that even the increased enforcement efforts of the government have been neither sufficient nor effective in preventing illegal hunting from happening this spring. The situation we are witnessing on the ground is terrible and the government has to act now and stop this.”

Despite the Maltese government’s commitment on enforcement, it cannot be seen that, compared to previous years, illegal bird shooting had been reduced. On the contrary, evidence collected by BirdLife Malta indicates that this years’ open season is leading to a significant increase in protected birds being killed compared to previous years: In 2008, 2009 and 2010, when virtually no spring hunting was allowed in the country, the numbers of killed protected birds that were recovered by BirdLife Malta in comparable periods of time were much lower: only 1, 7, and 5 respectively.

Angelo Caserta, Director of BirdLife Europe, sees Malta in direct violation of the EU Birds Directive. “If a country is not able to safeguard our most protected birds during their dangerous migration from Africa to their European breeding grounds from illegal shooting, it cannot be granted the right to open any hunting season in this critical period.”

BirdLife Malta and BirdLife Europe therefore urge the Maltese government to immediately close the current spring hunting season. Angelo Caserta adds: “We also call on the European Commission to take all necessary steps to ensure compliance with EU bird protection law. Malta had already been condemned once by the European Court of Justice for not respecting EU rules on bird protection , it should not be allowed to continue putting our European natural heritage at risk.”

Further background to spring hunting in Malta:

Under EU law, hunting of birds during their spring migration and breeding period is prohibited in general. Malta, however, insists of using a derogation clause of the EU Birds Directive for allowing the shooting of a limited number of individuals of two species (Turtle Dove and Quail). BirdLife stresses that Malta fails to meet several of the requirements for such an exception (derogation according to Art.9 of the Birds Directive):

One of the key preconditions for granting such a derogation is that the Member State government has to ensure strict control and supervision, to prevent other species from being killed or injured along the way. The reality in Malta of the last days shows this is far from being the case.

Other preconditions refer to the conservation status of the species in question, the number of individuals permitted to hunt and the test whether autumn provides a sufficient alternative solution to spring hunting. BirdLife has concerns regarding all of these as well.

Following BirdLife complaints and European Commission investigations, Malta had already been condemned by the European Court of Justice in 2009 (C-76/08) for having allowed spring hunting in between 2004 and 2007. After a  pause in this practice in 2008 and 2009, Malta is now trying again, arguing this time it would limit and control spring hunting sufficiently to meet EU standards.

This is unbelievable, they just don't care!  Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07-May-11, 10:45:49 AM »

aaarggh bang head Angry It's just never ending over there in Malta!!!  Sad

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24-May-11, 06:54:51 AM »

On the 18th May 2011, a flock of approximately 210 White Storks (Ciconia Ciconia) arrived in Malta. The flock was immediately greeted by gunfire, which continued during the next few days which the flock spent in Malta.

The birds had all departed Malta by the 22nd May. By this time BirdLife Malta had witnessed several birds gunned down, received shot White Storks, and seen a number of birds in flight with gunshot injuries.

Members of the public have been outraged by this incident, and shared their experience and condemnation publicly, through BirdLife Malta’s website.

Visit this page of our website to find out what happened and how you can take action against this annual illegal slaughter of protected birds.

http://www.birdlifemalta.org/Content/hunting/illegalhunting/whitestorks2011/1108/ Just plain sick!!

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24-May-11, 07:00:31 AM »

Thanks for posting, Donna. Anyone interested can go to the BirdLife Malta site on FB and "friend" it. The more who do, the better are the chances of making a difference, as they will suggest actions we all can take. I must make sure I find out what international visitors can do... I know some of you wrote before, but a bombardment is obviously called for. Thank you for whatever you may do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: