THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 06:54:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Rochester Adventure  (Read 4135 times)
birdmusic
Fledgling

Like Count: 14

View Profile
« on: 10-Aug-09, 12:01:02 PM »

Yesterday being the occasion of our 35th wedding anniversary, we decided to make the 90 mile trek from where we live just south of Niagara Falls to Rochester and my hubby’s favorite restaurant, the Dinosaur Bar-B-Q.   We had also spent our 25th anniversary there, arriving at the Dinosaur by limousine from Niagara Falls with three other couples.  That was quite a sight… but I digress.

This time we took the Harley and as my husband watched me load the binoculars on the bike he said, “I take it we will be looking for falcons also.”  Smart man!

When we arrived at the Dinosaur I looked up and saw that the Times Square building was right there in front of me!  I could see the nest box and camera!  How exciting to see that famous landmark, watched by people from all over the world!

We went into the restaurant and to my amazement were ushered to pretty much the only table in the place where one can sit and look directly out the window at the nestbox the whole time.  What luck!  Unfortunately, I didn’t see any falcons flying around the box, but it was fun to be able to watch.

After dinner we headed to the High Falls area.  I was excited and hoping to see not only falcons but also to find some falcon watchers who could help me and point out some of the landmarks I have seen pictures of and read so much about.  

“Ye shall know them by their equipment.”  I have read on this board that that is how to find a falconwatcher.  And just as we came to the corner by the Kodak Tower and were waiting to make the turn toward the bridge…there was a man standing there, huge lenses, cameras, bags, and endless paraphernalia slung around his neck.  BINGO!  Surely this was someone I “know” from the forum, someone who could help me find falcons!

I told my husband to stop and I jumped off the back of the bike and walked over to the man.  â€śAre you looking for Archer and Beauty?” I asked him.

“Who?”  he answered.  

Uh oh.

My heart sank.  â€śThe falcons - Beauty and Archer and Mariah,” I said.

“No, I’m here to take pictures of the ball game,” he replied, pointing to Frontier Field across the street.  I suddenly felt really foolish.  But then he said, “Didn’t they move the nest from the building?” pointing to the Kodak building.  Whew, at least he knew about them!  I pointed out the Times Square building to him and told him that’s where the new nest is.  He actually thanked me for the information.

I got back on the bike and we made our way to the bridge.  There were no falcons and no watchers anywhere.  Just a few tourists and lovers and kids on bikes.  We walked across the bridge all the way to the observation deck on the other side.   We walked back and toured the whole High Falls area, reading all the historical signs (at least we learned something!)  I found Pride’s Rock and the high stack, and the little building Baron von Pefa was standing on in Lou’s pictures.  I tried to figure out which tree was the falcon sucking tree, but there are lots of trees.  The only wildlife were lots of woodchucks and some ducks.  

We stayed as long as we could, but we never did see any falcons or watchers.  Oh well, it was still fun to see the area I had only seen in pictures.  Maybe next time!
« Last Edit: 10-Aug-09, 10:00:23 PM by birdmusic » Logged
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10-Aug-09, 01:05:39 PM »

What a great adventure for you & CONGRATS on your 35th Anniversary.  heart clap I'm sure there were watchers somewhere, maybe at Kodak Park, where Mariah has been spotted.

Donna

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-Aug-09, 01:34:49 PM »

Hi birdmusic!

I wish I had known when you were going to be there.  I could have been wandering around downtown at the same time and missed you.  By the time I got to the bridge, it was 4:35, and I saw one falcon flying at 4:40 and took off after it.  The rest of the time, falcon watchers were up at Kodak Park.  I returned to the bridge about 7:00, and still didn't see anything then either.

Sorry your "falcon" watch wasn't more memorable.  Sure glad you got to see the "spots".

~Joyce
birdmusic
Fledgling

Like Count: 14

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-Aug-09, 03:51:50 PM »

By the time I got to the bridge, it was 4:35, and I saw one falcon flying at 4:40 and took off after it.  The rest of the time, falcon watchers were up at Kodak Park.  I returned to the bridge about 7:00, and still didn't see anything then either.

We were at the bridge from about 5:15 to 6:30.  I don't know where Kodak Park is located.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: