THE FORUM

26-Apr-24, 03:20:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miracle Mile Falcons - Los Angeles, CA  (Read 3813 times)
WLABarb
Eyas

Like Count: 8

View Profile
« on: 06-May-13, 03:31:19 PM »

There are no cams at this location, but in case anyone is interested in (the Peregrine Falcons I refer to as) the Miracle Mile Falcons, here’s some background…
The Miracle Mile is a stretch of Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, CA, between Fairfax and Highland Avenues, where the L.A. County Museum of Art, Petersen Automotive Museum, La Brea Tar Pits, etc. are located. We have been seeing Peregrine Falcon activity on the 32-story 5900 Wilshire Blvd. building (currently the Variety Bldg.) for about 20 years. It was only after I started watching Rfalconcam several years ago, that I began paying more attention to them. We recently named the female “Variety.” In researching, I read that, in the 1990’s, there was a scrape located several blocks east on the 25th floor of the 27-story 5670 Wilshire Blvd. building. We also believe that some years the scrape was on the 5900 Bldg., but haven’t confirmed one on either building this year.

After having seen MAK’s photojournal during her trip to Arkansas last year, as well as the amazing shots and videos on Rfalconcam, I asked about her camera and eventually bought one. Wouldn’t you know, the Pefas were a No-Show for a couple months after I’d made the purchase! Finally, April 27th, I spotted a “bump” on the N.E. corner of 5900. HOORAY! I believe it was “Variety.” She also flew to 5670. This past weekend I’m not certain whether the photos/videos were of the male or female. The marine layer was closing in and I was losing light. Please click on the links below for Flickr stills and YouTube videos. Kindly bear with me, as I am still learning the camera, Flickr, YouTube and this Forum. Hope you enjoy the MM Pefas as much as I do. I look forward to any feedback and suggestions you might have.
Barb Weaver
(aka WLABarb)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92899333@N07/8691023068/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92899333@N07/8710259665/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92899333@N07/8710262427/#

Miracle Mile Peregrine Falcon
WLABarb
Eyas

Like Count: 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06-May-13, 03:45:22 PM »

Sorry for the YouTube duplicate in the first posting. This is the one that should have been last.
Miracle Mile Falcon
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-May-13, 03:53:40 PM »

Nice camera work, Barb!   notworthy And hello Variety!   hiya

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-May-13, 03:54:53 PM »

Fabulous!  clap

Love the cedar waxwing too. And the Kildeer.  And...and...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-May-13, 04:06:44 PM »

Nice video Barb, thanks!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-May-13, 05:37:52 PM »

You have taken some real quality shots Barb. Keep up the good work!  2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: