THE FORUM

25-Apr-24, 09:50:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ~Buffalo Falcon News 2010~  (Read 141311 times)
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« on: 27-Feb-10, 08:24:16 PM »

Sharing news posted by Kimmarie in Buffalo on Feb 24 at  http://www.falconsandfriends.com/.  As DEC noted in the below letter, there are plenty of opportunities to falcon watch in Western New York.

News regarding the upcoming Peregrine Falcon nesting season at the Statler

The future of the Statler Building is uncertain right now. Efforts to purchase the Statler have fallen through and the building has been “moth balled”. The Peregrine nest is still there, but there will be no web camera this season. With all of this in mind, I received the following via email from Connie Adams, Sr. Field Wildlife Biologist for the DEC. She has asked me to share this information with all of you:

"KimMarie,

Peregrines will be nesting before you know it, and I wanted to let you know what was up with the situation at the Statler, since you have always been so active and concerned about that particular nest. I assume you know the Statler is no longer operational, and this weekend it was boarded up. About a month ago, Audubon removed its computer and monitor, so there will be no webcam there for the forseeable future, which is a great loss. However, that means that any observations made by peregrine watchers will be that much more valuable. I would like to get an intern watching this, and the other 5 peregrine nests this spring and summer, since right now, regular observation through scope, binoculars or camera will be the only way we know what is going on at these nests.

We have been in contact with the building trustee, Morris Horwitz, and the building manager, John Gingher. In the event a peregrine falcon chick were to end up on the ground, as they have so many times in the past, the person who found it would be advised to contact us, and we would then contact Mr. Horwitz, who would contact Mr. Gingher, and then we could take it the long walk up the 18 stories back to its nest box. However, the other option, after hours or on the weekend would be to contact the Erie County SPCA Wildlife Unit. They would hold the chick until we would be able to return it to the nest box.

I thought you might want to share this information with your friends who faithfully watch the birds. We will have 4 other nest boxes, one each on the North and South Grand Is. Bridges, one at UB at the MacKay tower, and one at the Central Terminal. The 5th nest is on the US side of the gorge, right at Niagara Falls on Goat Island. As I said, none of these sites have cams on them, yet, though I believe there may one day be one at UB, CT and maybe even the Grand Island bridge. However not this year, as far as I know. The cam would have had to be in place by March 1st, and no one has contacted me about something like this.

Just thought I would let you know what was going on with the Statler.

Connie"

It will be difficult to know exactly when the young falcons will fledge, if in fact the nest produces eyases this year.  All we can do is use years past for a general guide.

I’ll post information if or when I receive it.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27-Feb-10, 09:17:06 PM »

Thanks for posting this Joyce and please thank KimMarie for forwarding it.  It will be very important to keep an eye on this nestsite now that there will no longer be cameras.  Do you know if there are Falcons currently at this site?

Peregrines know no borders.....
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27-Feb-10, 09:51:24 PM »

why were the cameras removed?

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27-Feb-10, 09:57:32 PM »

My guess is the building is closed so there is no power.
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27-Feb-10, 10:25:48 PM »

There was discussion of tearing the building down, so the cameras may have been removed prior to the sale of the building (which ultimately failed).  The images displayed on their webcam were very poor, and the cameras frequently shut down.  Don't know if was the camera equipment or connection within the building. The Statler is now abandoned and no one is allowed access. 

Last year I met up with Kimmarie and Irina for a Buffalo falcon watch reunion. We went into the Statler and asked the guard if we could to use the facilities.  I had never been beyond the main hallway downstairs.  We went up to the second floor.  The old wood work and chandeliers were gorgeous.  I can just imagine how beautiful a hotel it was in its day.

~Joyce
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27-Feb-10, 11:35:17 PM »

There was discussion of tearing the building down, so the cameras may have been removed prior to the sale of the building (which ultimately failed).  The images displayed on their webcam were very poor, and the cameras frequently shut down.  Don't know if was the camera equipment or connection within the building. The Statler is now abandoned and no one is allowed access. 

Last year I met up with Kimmarie and Irina for a Buffalo falcon watch reunion. We went into the Statler and asked the guard if we could to use the facilities.  I had never been beyond the main hallway downstairs.  We went up to the second floor.  The old wood work and chandeliers were gorgeous.  I can just imagine how beautiful a hotel it was in its day.

~Joyce

That's a shame...too bad it can't be restored. Hope the falcons, if they come back, will be OK.  This is very sad.  Sad

~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 20-Mar-10, 07:57:49 PM »

There is so much falcon activity in Buffalo this March, 2010!

UB Peregrines, Main & Winspear at MacKay Tower
2009 - 4 fledged
UB has taken on the responsibility of providing a cam for this nestbox, occupied by BB and Smoky.  They installed the high-def cam Fri Mar 18th and will be connecting it to a UB website.  I'll post the url soon.  BB stayed calm on her perch during the cam installation.   Yesterday and today, the birds were alternately perching, flying in circles around their tower and ee-chupping.

Photos and more at ~Peregrine Place~  http://pefas.blogspot.com/

Central Terminal
2009 - pair was practicing for this year Smiley
The DEC installed a nestbox at this site, for Stash and Stella, the pair who claimed the tower last year, though she was still a sub-adult.  CT is essentially unoccupied though volunteers for a restoration foundation are doing work on the main building in hopes of reviving it.  This building does not yet have internet service so no cam.  Yet.  Smiley

Statler Building
2009 - fledged 3
Falcon is seen on nestbox perch. 
Note: the Statler is bankrupt; attempts to sell it have failed; the lower floor is boarded up; no on has access.  BAS has removed their equipment.  DEC will have to gather information by watching from another building, and will not even have access for banding.  It is unknown whether the DEC will be able to return an eyass to the 18th floor nest in an emergency.  Sad case.

Grain Elevators
Connie Adams, DEC, has reliable sighting of a new pair at one of the many grain elevators. 

South Grand Island Bridge
2009 - 1 of 3 rescued and hopefully fledged
New pair nested in bridgework 2009, and was seen today doing aerial displays near the bridge!
Nestbox may be installed this year or next

North Grand Island Bridge
2009 - 3 counted as fledged

Niagara Gorge
2009 - I think 3 fledged

I hope all is well this year for Buffalo and Rochester too! 

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20-Mar-10, 08:21:27 PM »

Thanks so much Sage for the Buffalo update.  Lots of activity there!   thumbsup

I hope a Tiercel finds his way into Rochester soon.  Beauty is definitely ready! and so are the Watchers!

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22-Mar-10, 01:51:11 AM »

WOW- 7 pairs in the Buffalo area. There sure has been an increase in PEFA nestsites in the last 3 years.  Wish we could have more than one pair in Rochester.  It's going to be a challenge for the Rochester watchers this year.  We've never had to maneuver our watches around downtown buildings.

With everything goin' on in the Buffalo/Niagara area, keep an eye out for a female peregrine with a unique 3-stripe band on the right foot: BLUE-YELLOW-BLUE (over the silver USFW band). 

That's our queen MARIAH.  She visited with us in October and that's the last we have seen her.  She's kept her distance from downtown Rochester since her rehab last year. We are hoping she is in retirement and enjoying her freedom, or has found a new mate and is happy somewhere.

Appreciate your keeping us up-to-date.
~Joyce

~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 22-Mar-10, 10:34:29 AM »

Joyce, I thought Mariah was seen in Rochester after rehab release?  Are both b/y/b and usfw bands on same leg?

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22-Mar-10, 11:01:07 AM »

Here's a pic of her band which covers the USFW band.

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22-Mar-10, 11:08:37 AM »

Joyce, I thought Mariah was seen in Rochester after rehab release?  Are both b/y/b and usfw bands on same leg?

Yes you are correct, we saw her north of the city 5 months after her release, and that was in October 2009.  She likely migrated and may have moved on, but she did not return to Rochester this spring that we know of.

Yes her striped band is over the USFW band on the same leg.  Mariah was never banded, and when she was captured, DEC banded her with the USFW band only.  They added the colored band so the watchers could track her if she came back into the area.  And, it worked.  That's how we confirmed it was her last October.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22-Mar-10, 11:11:40 AM »

and she only has the USFW band.  The other leg is unbanded.  Mike Allen was very considerate when he place such distinctive colored tape on Mariah's USFW band.  He called it her racing stripes!  lol  It made it very easy for us to positively ID her at the Medley Ctr back in October.

valhalla
« Reply #13 on: 22-Mar-10, 11:25:10 AM »

and she only has the USFW band.  The other leg is unbanded.  Mike Allen was very considerate when he place such distinctive colored tape on Mariah's USFW band.  He called it her racing stripes!  lol  It made it very easy for us to positively ID her at the Medley Ctr back in October.
I still wish diamonds were part of the mix, but I guess Blue for the Sky, Yellow for the Sun, and Blue for the Water is a perfect band for our Queen and her merry band of swimming falcons!
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22-Mar-10, 07:05:48 PM »

being tape will her stripes come off? If so how long do they last?  If it comes off she should of gotten diamonds.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: