THE FORUM

25-Apr-24, 11:51:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Statler City Falconcam 2016 (Buffalo)  (Read 24041 times)
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04-Apr-16, 01:03:39 PM »

Oh no! Just when everything was going well at this nest. I hope both birds are okay.

Looks like red tape over the band on the right leg of of the intruder. And a two tone band on the left.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04-Apr-16, 01:28:03 PM »

Resident female came back.  Hopefully our little Canadian bird made it out safe, hoping to hear something.

Do they know who she is, Carly?

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04-Apr-16, 01:44:18 PM »

Resident female came back.  Hopefully our little Canadian bird made it out safe, hoping to hear something.

Hoping for updates too, Carly. So you think this is definitely a Canadian bird? I thought the band looked all black until I enlarged it, and then it looked like black over something else. Number looks like Y/82. Just hope she is okay, whoever she is.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04-Apr-16, 01:53:12 PM »

I'm not 100% Alison.  Someone on the Buffalo boards told me that it is black Y/82 but the tape color doesn't match who we have down as that.  I tried blowing up the bands from the video and it could be 82 but it's not clear enough in my mind to say 'yes' for sure.  The color looks black but it's not uniform - there is something not quite right about it.

I hope, whoever she is that she made it out safely.  The fact that DEC is involved has me concerned so I'm hoping PP posts something on their FB soon to say either no one was injured or worse, or that she flew away on her own.  The resident female is back, saw some photos on FB and Ralphie brought some food so that's good. 
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04-Apr-16, 02:07:38 PM »

I'm not 100% Alison.  Someone on the Buffalo boards told me that it is black Y/82 but the tape color doesn't match who we have down as that.  I tried blowing up the bands from the video and it could be 82 but it's not clear enough in my mind to say 'yes' for sure.  The color looks black but it's not uniform - there is something not quite right about it.

I hope, whoever she is that she made it out safely.  The fact that DEC is involved has me concerned so I'm hoping PP posts something on their FB soon to say either no one was injured or worse, or that she flew away on her own.  The resident female is back, saw some photos on FB and Ralphie brought some food so that's good. 

Thanks, Carly! I'm not 100% sure either about those bands. It's just that there seems to be a difference in color between the top and bottom parts of the band. The red band does look like tape over a band rather than the red band of a captive raised bird.

The main thing is for both birds to be okay. The resident female and Ralphie both look okay as far as I can tell so far, and the egg looks intact.

The fact that the DEC is involved has me concerned too. Hope we hear something more soon.
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04-Apr-16, 02:24:46 PM »

It's amazing that the resident female could fight back after being pinned like that!  I hope everyone, including the egg, is okay. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04-Apr-16, 03:22:55 PM »

It's like deja vu. At this same nest box, years ago, an intruding female flew into the nest box to battle then resident female Buffalo Beauty. I hope all involved, including the egg, are OK. Hate to see territorial battles.

Peregrines know no borders.....
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04-Apr-16, 06:08:23 PM »

Okay went through the video frame by frame now that I'm home and I do think it is Y/82, now. 

She is Tessa, banded in 2014 at Mississauga, Holcim.  Daughter of Caspian and the late Storm.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04-Apr-16, 06:16:57 PM »

Wow, Carly! So she is a Canadian bird. I also went through the video again frame by frame and still thought the numbers were Y/82. Just was not sure about the color of the bottom part of the band.

It's good to know who she is. I do hope she is not injured. When I was going through the video again, I thought she seemed somewhat thin, with no food in her crop.

Thanks again!
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04-Apr-16, 06:18:11 PM »

Wow, Carly! So she is a Canadian bird. I also went through the video again frame by frame and still thought the numbers were Y/82. Just was not sure about the color of the bottom part of the band.

It's good to know who she is. I do hope she is not injured. When I was going through the video again, I thought she seemed somewhat thin, with no food in her crop.

Thanks again!

Sage says there are two new nest boxes DEC has put up just recently in the nearby area, hopefully she can find her way to one of them and find herself a mate.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04-Apr-16, 07:05:36 PM »

Good news about the nest boxes, Carly. Now we just need confirmation that the birds are okay.

Came across a pic I think may be Tessa, from the 2014 banding at Mississauga Holcim. Of course, none of the banding pictures showed bands, but one shows a red band on the right leg.

She was 905 grams at banding, the only girl among the four chicks.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04-Apr-16, 07:13:15 PM »

Yes I was looking at that photo earlier prior to getting the confirmation call that it was her.  I was cussing because the glove was covering her band..lol!  But yes that would be her. I sure hope she's okay, pretty bold girl to take on the Statler female - who looks massive compared to our little Ralphie.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05-Apr-16, 10:34:19 AM »

No Falcons on camera right now. Just one lonely egg.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05-Apr-16, 10:53:22 AM »

Falcon on egg now.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10-Apr-16, 03:28:33 PM »

http://www.wgrz.com/news/injured-peregrine-falcon-returns-to-statler-nest-but-unhatched-egg-is-at-stake/127354859

Injured peregrine falcon returns to Statler nest, but unhatched egg is at stake

Someone on egg now!!

Some snow there tonight!! Falcon still on egg!
« Last Edit: 10-Apr-16, 09:58:48 PM by Donna » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: