THE FORUM

26-Apr-24, 10:50:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Southern Cross Peregrine Project — Island Girl  (Read 12173 times)
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« on: 27-Sep-16, 10:50:11 PM »

Island Girl has now begun her 2016 southern migration.

So far, there is map information only for September 17-21.

http://www.frg.org/track_pefa12.htm

Wishing her a safe journey and a safe winter in Chile.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28-Sep-16, 09:11:15 AM »

I've been following her..amazing journey!  I also wish her safe travels again this year.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-Sep-16, 01:52:29 PM »

Island Girl is now in the Great Lakes area. The map has been updated, and as of September 28, she has now travelled 1,614 miles.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-Sep-16, 02:01:22 PM »

Thanks Alison.  Island Girl's journey astounds me every year, especially when I think of how many birds are doing the same thing.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-Sep-16, 02:55:27 PM »

Island Girl is now in the Great Lakes area. The map has been updated, and as of September 28, she has now travelled 1,614 miles.

Their stamina and determination is just astounding! Thanks Alison!!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30-Sep-16, 12:00:04 PM »

As of September 29, Island Girl has already travelled 2,156 miles! She really is a remarkable falcon.

Map from the Southern Cross Peregrine Project.

Tracking page for Island Girl:

http://www.frg.org/track_pefa12.htm
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18-Oct-16, 10:20:58 PM »

Island Girl has continued her southern migration. The website was down for some days, but came back online.

October 8

By then she had travelled 3,118 miles.

And the associated blog entry, from Donald McCall:

08 October, 2016

Island Girl Has Almost Reached Mexico

Island Girl followed the Texas coastline for 333 km (207 mi) yesterday (Friday, 7 October), and nearly reached Mexico.  Her southwesterly course took her farther inland by the end of the day;  she roosted last night in the town of Pharr, 11 km from the Rio Grande (and Mexico), and 100 km (62 mi) west of South Padre Island and the Gulf of Mexico.  Google Earth shows her location to be a small strip mall, where the tallest nearby object appears to be a large billboard (visible on Google Street View).

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18-Oct-16, 10:23:03 PM »

October 18, 2016

Island Girl continues on her purposeful track south, making her way along the coast around the Gulf of Mexico in a leisurely manner and stopping here and there for several days. She has now covered 4,133 miles.

The most recent blog entry from Donald McCall:

17 October, 2016

Island Girl is in Southern Mexico and Headed for Guatemala

After following the Gulf Coast of Mexico until just past Veracruz, Island Girl has now moved inland, and to higher ground, as she continues southeast through the state of Chiapas, Mexico toward Guatemala. She traveled 322 km (200 mi) on Sunday, remaining north of the Sierra Madres, and roosted in a forested area last night at an elevation of 1198 m (3931 ft). She was 200 km (124 mi) from the Guatemala border.

This is her usual and most direct route through southern Mexico and Central America, which she will probably follow through Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua before reaching the Caribbean Coast in Costa Rica.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19-Oct-16, 08:34:16 AM »

That's one girl who {Gets around}  heart  wave Thanks

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19-Oct-16, 10:08:41 AM »

She is amazing!  2thumbsup

Peregrines know no borders.....
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01-Nov-16, 10:20:28 PM »

Island Girl continues on her odyssey. Yesterday, she reached South America. She has now traveled 5,365 miles, and has been on migration for 44 days.

She took her time traversing Central America, and stopped off at her favorite places. She spent six days in Limón, Costa Rica. During that time there were three map entries with no movement, so this was cause for concern. Then she was on the move once more, with another 102-mile flight.

While she was in Limón, a group of people from the Ornithological Society of Costa Rica saw her in flight, and one member captured a distant photo of Island Girl.

She was headed north in the photo while making a circuit of the area, and on the hunt.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01-Nov-16, 10:26:52 PM »

The two most recent blog entries, from Donald McCall:

28 October, 2016

Continuing South Again

Island Girl departed Limón yesterday afternoon after spending 6 nights in that city; she flew southeast for 164 km (102 mi), crossed the border into Panama, and roosted last night in the forest about 7 kilometers south of Chiriqui Lagoon.

31 October, 2016

Island Girl Has Reached South America

After spending a couple of easy days crossing Panama to the tip of the Azuero Peninsula, Island Girl crossed the Gulf of Panama yesterday. She flew over open water for 412 km (256 mi), and made landfall in South America about a third of the way down the Pacific Coast of Colombia.  In the seven previous southern migrations for which we have tracked Island Girl, she just reached the southeastern tip of Panama or the northwestern tip of Colombia when she made this crossing, so this is easily her longest flight over the Gulf of Panama.

Last night she roosted in the coastal rainforest about 14 km (9 mi) from the Pacific Ocean.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01-Nov-16, 10:53:29 PM »

The two most recent blog entries, from Donald McCall:

28 October, 2016

Continuing South Again

Island Girl departed Limón yesterday afternoon after spending 6 nights in that city; she flew southeast for 164 km (102 mi), crossed the border into Panama, and roosted last night in the forest about 7 kilometers south of Chiriqui Lagoon.

31 October, 2016

Island Girl Has Reached South America

After spending a couple of easy days crossing Panama to the tip of the Azuero Peninsula, Island Girl crossed the Gulf of Panama yesterday. She flew over open water for 412 km (256 mi), and made landfall in South America about a third of the way down the Pacific Coast of Colombia.  In the seven previous southern migrations for which we have tracked Island Girl, she just reached the southeastern tip of Panama or the northwestern tip of Colombia when she made this crossing, so this is easily her longest flight over the Gulf of Panama.

Last night she roosted in the coastal rainforest about 14 km (9 mi) from the Pacific Ocean.

Good news!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02-Nov-16, 09:07:06 AM »

clap  thanx

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02-Nov-16, 05:51:28 PM »

Thanks for the updates on Island Girl Alison! I love to read about her travels.  happy

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: