THE FORUM

26-Apr-24, 07:29:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pip on 1st INDY Egg  (Read 14915 times)
valhalla
« on: 21-Apr-10, 12:33:30 PM »

hatch1  The 1st of 4 eggs has begun hatching for Kathy Q and Kinny  clap 
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21-Apr-10, 06:59:10 PM »

hatch1  The 1st of 4 eggs has begun hatching for Kathy Q and Kinny  clap 

Seems like 4-ever ago, she laid them... 2thumbsup

valhalla
« Reply #2 on: 21-Apr-10, 07:20:36 PM »

Now it is 1st BABY!!  clap   2thumbsup   
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-Apr-10, 08:12:41 PM »

Now it is 1st BABY!!  clap   2thumbsup   

crybaby hatch1 YAY!!

valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 22-Apr-10, 05:45:29 AM »

hatch1  hatch1 hatch1 10:30 last night - 2nd Indy baby - they are reporting 3 empty shells this morning!   2thumbsup 
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23-Apr-10, 07:27:12 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_XpmkcoIY8

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-May-10, 07:24:08 PM »

Geneva - Female, band is 14/E, black over red. This name was submitted by Lynn Berney from Goshen IN. I know Lynn to be a long-time falconhead and passionate about Kinney and KathyQ. Who is this bird named after? Gosh, just one of the most famous Hoosier authors ever who happened to be a woman. Yes, this glorious bird is named after Geneva (known as Gene) Stratton-Porter, a woman way ahead of her time, an author at her prime in the early part of the 20th century. She wrote wonderfully descriptive books about her love of nature and a particular swamp in NE Indiana, called the Limberlost which she came to know and love intimately - snakes, bugs, plants, trees, birds, wildlife - she loved it all. She had millions of fans all over the world and wrote books such as The Girl of the Limberlost (highly recommend it if you haven't read it) and Freckles, among others. I believe Gene would be honored to have such a magnificent bird of prey named after her. Make history little Geneva like your famous namesake - you already have the admiration of folks worldwide.

Hatton - Male, *V/*B, black over red (the * indicates the letters lay on the side as you look at the band). This name was submitted by Joyce Swoveland of Terre Haute IN, another longtime falconhead. So thrilled to be able to say this little male is named after Liz and Chris Hatton who operate For the Birds of Indiana. They are bird rehabilitators extraordinaire. Anyone who followed the blog in 2008 may remember the saga of one of the juveniles named Magee. The Hattons took him in to begin his path to healing as they so willingly do for hundreds - gosh, probably thousands - of birds of all shape, sizes, colors, and ages. I was lucky enough to visit the Hattons hospital (really their house) when Magee was a resident and it is an amazing field hospital for injured winged friends. Here's the kicker - they don't fundraise and they do it all voluntarily. This is a labor of true love and if you have a chance to talk with Liz and/or Chris, you can immediately feel this. So little Hatton, don't you even dare think of making a visit to your namesakes place - unless you just want to pass over and say hi/bye on your way to a wonderful falcon life.

Maxie - Female, band is 15/E black over red. This name was submitted by a new falconhead, 6-year old Marshall Millard of Indianapolis. Marshall attends Spring Mill Elementary and as his mom said, thanks to Marshall's teacher, the class was able to watch the Ks since KathyQ laid the first egg. There is no particular reason for the name Maxie but Marshall certainly has learned much while watching the life cycle of this falcon family. As his mother said, "He loves keeping up with this and makes a point of teaching us that these chicks are important because the peregrine falcon is almost extinct." Thank you Marshall for your enthusiasm and thanks to young and old concerned folks all over the world, the peregrine falcon that almost did become extinct has made a remarkable comeback. But we need to be ever vigilant and as Marshall has made me aware, you are never too young (and in my case, never too old) to learn about things as magnificent as peregrine falcons. I sure hope that this female falcon will reach her Maxie-mum potential and go on to create many more new generations of little peregrines so Marshall can continue to enjoy their world.

Coach - Male, *V/*C, black over red (the * indicates the letters lay on the side as you look at the band). This name was submitted by Lisa Legan of Indianapolis. Anyone in central Indiana - gosh, probably all over the country, must have heard about the marvelous story of the Butler Bulldog basketball team that made their way to the final game of the NCAA tournament this past April? If not, what rock were you living under? (said with an affectionate smile). As Lisa said, "Coach Brad Stevens guided his team through that amazing frenzy with such grace and maturity that I believe one of these beautiful falcon babies should be named after the coach." May this little falcon find success and greatness just as the Coach and his team did this year!" We agree. And maybe he can help "coach" his brother and sisters in the art of flying.

valhalla
« Reply #7 on: 18-May-10, 08:07:31 AM »

My racing friend, Gigi, was a participent at yesterday's banding of the Indy Falcons and she sent the following that I thought I'd share with all of you. 

Hi Janet,

Our Indy falcons were banded today and I was honored to hold one of them after he was banded.  Hatton was named honoring Liz and Chris Hatton of For the Birds of Indiana, where I spend every Tuesday volunteering.  Since I was busy holding Hatton, I have no pictures.  I am waiting for friends to send me theirs and then I will share with you. 

The link is to the IndyStar falcon blog and the following text is the excerpt regarding Hatton the tiercel.

On the site are 3 videos
1. inside the conference room [I am in it briefly wearing a beige jacket holding Hatton]
2. outside as John Castrale from DNR is gathering the chicks and fending off parents
3. Chris Hatton in front of the vet's clinic talking about Magee and his recovery

http://blogs.indystar.com/falconblog/

Hatton - Male, *V/*B, black over red (the * indicates the letters lay on the side as you look at the band). This name was submitted by Joyce Swoveland of Terre Haute IN, another longtime falconhead. So thrilled to be able to say this little male is named after Liz and Chris Hatton who operate For the Birds of Indiana. They are bird rehabilitators extraordinaire. Anyone who followed the blog in 2008 may remember the saga of one of the juveniles named Magee. The Hattons took him in to begin his path to healing as they so willingly do for hundreds - gosh, probably thousands - of birds of all shape, sizes, colors, and ages. I was lucky enough to visit the Hattons hospital (really their house) when Magee was a resident and it is an amazing field hospital for injured winged friends. Here's the kicker - they don't fundraise and they do it all voluntarily. This is a labor of true love and if you have a chance to talk with Liz and/or Chris, you can immediately feel this. So little Hatton, don't you even dare think of making a visit to your namesakes place - unless you just want to pass over and say hi/bye on your way to a wonderful falcon life.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18-May-10, 08:19:08 AM »

My racing friend, Gigi, was a participent at yesterday's banding of the Indy Falcons and she sent the following that I thought I'd share with all of you. 

Go Gigi! Nice she got to hold Hatton.  clap

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-May-10, 08:36:16 AM »

That's great!    happy

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18-May-10, 09:08:36 AM »

That's great!    happy

Easy little piglets   hysterical

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01-Jun-10, 01:13:01 PM »

KathyQ:  Hatton rescued from street level last night. Don't know whether he flew or was blown off the building (storms). He was picked up by Animal Control, has no apparent injuries, was released to DNR volunteers and released on the 31st floor ledge of Market Tower for a do-over late this morning. No pictures at this time - maybe later.

Oh boy!

valhalla
« Reply #12 on: 01-Jun-10, 04:27:06 PM »

KathyQ:  Hatton rescued from street level last night. Don't know whether he flew or was blown off the building (storms). He was picked up by Animal Control, has no apparent injuries, was released to DNR volunteers and released on the 31st floor ledge of Market Tower for a do-over late this morning. No pictures at this time - maybe later.

Oh boy!

I sent Gigi a message earlier, so I hope to have something to report soon.  Of course, she may still have Indy 500 guests...
valhalla
« Reply #13 on: 01-Jun-10, 05:02:37 PM »

Just got this from Gigi:

"Yes, he is fine. We think he was blown off the building during a storm last night.  A building security employee made some calls and he ended up at the local animal control.  I was there at 10 am when they opened to retrieve him.  He was fine so we took him back to the 31st floor and released him.  Immediately KathyQ "joined" us and as far as I know everything is still okay.  I volunteered at the Hattons today and just returned. We were on the local news.  Here is the link:" 

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/23755797/detail.html

yahoo
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01-Jun-10, 05:26:04 PM »

good news   I like it!    clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: