THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 12:52:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: importance of fledge watches  (Read 5486 times)
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« on: 22-Apr-10, 03:34:19 PM »

From the Canadian Peregrine site:

Importance Of Fledgling Watches Illustrated
April 22, 2010 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Frank Butson Reports:

The recent sighting of Nebesney clearly illustrates how important The Canadian Peregrine Foundation’s  Fledgling Watches are to the continued recovery of the species. Nebesney was ably watched by dedicated volunteers from the  Burlington/Hamilton area and CPF staff,in co-operation with the staff of the Burlington lift bridge.

Nebesney was recused,in a full team effort by volunteers and CPF staff back when she was learning to fly. Im leaving out names deliberately because everyone’s contribution was equally important in her rescue. One volunteer spotted Nebesney as she had flown from a low perch on the lift bridge to the ground on the Burlington side of the pier. She was walking along the pier when spotted. Immediately the team went into action. With someone on one side of the bridge approaching Nebesney on the pier prepared to capture her,another hailed a passing boater from the Hamilton side of the canal and with the help of  the boat owner,boarded and took a position  incase Nebesney landed in the water.Armed with a net, the volunteer got close enough to be at the ready. Nebesney took flight and flew into the railing on the walkway of the liftbridge,dinging herself and flying off again before 2 approaching volunteers could effect a rescue. 3 others watched as she flew over them and hit a support of the Burlington Skyway Bridge and fluttered down to the ground. She took flight eluding the rescuers once more,before,completely out of gas hitting the canal wall and finally being scooped up by someone. Shortly after Mark Nash showed all gathered how to do a very pre-liminary examination of Nebesney. Photos were taken and the only thing noticable from the ordeal was a scuff mark on her beak. She was fine amazingly enough,much to the relief of all gathered. Later a more thorough examination was done,revealing no injury and after a period of observation and rest, Nebesney was placed on the roof of the Burlington tower to resume her flight training with her siblings and parents.

So now we have heard she has found a mate and with any luck will nest successfully,thus increasing the population of Peregrine Falcons.  The act of saving one Peregrine Falcon may result in future generations of Peregrines being hatched and raised. Who knows how many Peregrines will be added to the population in years to come. This is a great success story,thanks to all of the CPF volunteers,staff and concerned helpful members of the public.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22-Apr-10, 03:55:06 PM »

clap    good post   

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-Apr-10, 03:58:04 PM »

What a "Wonderful World of Watchers". Great ending. Thanks jeanne.

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22-Apr-10, 04:48:24 PM »

My heart is pounding, reading that account. WELL DONE to all involved!!! There are obviously times when Mere Mortals can do something.

Slainte!
Bobbie

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22-Apr-10, 05:33:08 PM »

Our friends in Canada are pretty awesome.  They contend with bridges and skyscrapers.  Our watches can be unnerving but theirs are downright twilight zone. scared blue

Course I saw that now!  We never had to encounter a  fledge before with the location we have now.  Mark, our falcon watcher watcher, may see some interesting moves!

Anatole France
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-Apr-10, 05:52:25 PM »

Hey Jeanne.  Did they say where they spotted Nebesney with a mate?

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22-Apr-10, 06:42:06 PM »

Hey Jeanne.  Did they say where they spotted Nebesney with a mate?

As with most Michigan sightings, the original news was a bit vague.  I found this over on the CMNH board...

"Zeus, black/red 73/B, banded at this (ArcelorMittal Steel Nest Site, Cleveland, OH) site last year was spotted about 10 days ago at the Campbell-Ewald building in Warren, Michigan.
Employees have watched him bringing food to Nebesny, black 29 over black X from the Burlington Lift Bridge site in Ontario. Considering the young age of Zeus, we hope they will stay together and reproduce next year. Here is a photo of him taken yesterday...

"

I haven't seen a picture yet of Nebesny

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22-Apr-10, 08:57:02 PM »

This is from the canadian peregrine site:

!! 2008 Nebesny has been spotted in Mich. USA with a mate!

CPF Postmaster Reports:

Hello All
We have received some great news this morning from Barb at the Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Division down in MIch. USA that a new female has arrived on site and setting up a territory with a 2009 male (produced in Cleveland Ohio) just north of Detroit Mich.
We have been able to identify and confirm her identity by her Black Canadian Colour marker bands and can confirm that she is non-other then “Nebesny”, a female produced in 2008 at the Burlington Bridge nest site. Banded Black 29 over Black X on July 12th 2008, weighing 907 grams – (empty crop), at approx. 29 days old.
Her mate has been identified by his band number as being hatched in 2009, named “Zeus” , dawning a Black 73 over Red B band produced in Cleveland Ohio USA.
We are all delighted to hear this good news and hope that Nebesny and Zeus are successful in their efforts.

CPF Postmaster

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22-Apr-10, 09:15:38 PM »

This is from the canadian peregrine site:

!! 2008 Nebesny has been spotted in Mich. USA with a mate!

CPF Postmaster Reports:

Hello All
We have received some great news this morning from Barb at the Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Division down in MIch. USA that a new female has arrived on site and setting up a territory with a 2009 male (produced in Cleveland Ohio) just north of Detroit Mich.
We have been able to identify and confirm her identity by her Black Canadian Colour marker bands and can confirm that she is non-other then “Nebesny”, a female produced in 2008 at the Burlington Bridge nest site. Banded Black 29 over Black X on July 12th 2008, weighing 907 grams – (empty crop), at approx. 29 days old.
Her mate has been identified by his band number as being hatched in 2009, named “Zeus” , dawning a Black 73 over Red B band produced in Cleveland Ohio USA.
We are all delighted to hear this good news and hope that Nebesny and Zeus are successful in their efforts.

CPF Postmaster

That's great news jeanne...wow, so many ID's lately. YES!!   2thumbsup

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22-Apr-10, 09:17:07 PM »

Thanks Ei and Jeanne.  This is wonderful news.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: