THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 06:19:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlanta Falcon news  (Read 15164 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 21-May-10, 09:20:37 PM »

Celebrity downtowners Kate and Spencer are parents again, maintaining their high style from their 53rd-story digs while Atlantans wonder from below how they live so well.

The secret? Fresh air, exercise and plenty of raw bird.

Kate and Spencer, two rare peregrine falcons named after film stars Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy for their long-running romance, have three new additions at their terrace dwelling high atop Sun Trust Plaza. Outside the 53rd-floor offices of McKenna Long & Aldridge, a large planter box containing several small bushes provides an ideal nesting site to raise their three young hatchlings. It is the fourth brood produced by the couple, which mate for life.

Peregrines historically nested on remote cliff sites throughout the Appalachians, but now, the birds increasingly find skyscrapers, bridges or other large structures suitable habitat to hunt for food and raise young.

“Fledglings learning to hunt are like kittens,” said Georgia Department of Natural Resources biologist Jim Ozier.  “They instinctively chase and attempt to capture whatever flies by, often starting with insects.  From this, they quickly become adept at pursuing and killing pretty much any bird smaller than themselves.”

Because of eggshell thinning from pesticides and PCB poisoning, eastern populations of the peregrine were eliminated from the wild in the 1940s. The last known wild nest in Georgia was in Cloudland Canyon in the northwest corner of the state. Regulations on pesticides and protection of the birds have helped produce a slow comeback since they began being reintroduced nearly 40 years ago.

Since 1972, several hundred peregrines have been released across the eastern United States, including northeastern Georgia and even from the Georgia Power building.

There are as many as 450 pairs of peregrines currently in the eastern U.S., according to Ozier. Currently, there are only two known peregrine nests in Georgia, Kate and Spencer and another pair atop the Four Seasons in Midtown.

The birds can be seen flying around Peachtree Street, gathering food -- pigeons and unlucky songbirds -- for their young, which are now just leaving the nest. The public can also peek in for a live view.

A webcam, courtesy of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Division, The Garden Club of Georgia and McKenna, Long, & Aldridge LLP, gives a birds-eye view of the peregrines. Log on to http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/615.

almost a month old

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21-May-10, 09:26:13 PM »

clap I'm glad to see they're still doing well!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-May-10, 09:27:36 PM »

clap I'm glad to see they're still doing well!

me too! Hey, where's JIM?  ???

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-May-10, 09:47:16 PM »

Haven't seen him around in a while...I think they were going through some "stuff" a while back and said he wouldn't be around as much.

Jim in Atl!  If you're out there check in please!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-Mar-13, 08:59:53 PM »

http://www.ustream.tv/georgiawildlife

Atlanta Falcons on Ustream

ATLANTA, Ga. --(Ammoland.com)-  Atlanta’s fast-flying falcons are on the nest, and the world is watching again – but this time via video streamed at up to HD quality!
A new web camera operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources offers a fascinating look into a peregrine falcons nest more than 50 stories high in downtown Atlanta.
The peregrines began nesting in early March and already have three eggs. The new camera is streaming the nest 24/7 on Ustream, at www.ustream.tv/georgiawildlife and www.georgiawildlife.com/FalconCam.
Jim Ozier, program manager with DNR’s Nongame Conservation Section, said the web cam is “a wonderful opportunity for Georgians and wildlife enthusiasts around the world to witness in detail the life history of this once very rare and elusive species. It’s great to be able to share and build upon this success story.”
Peregrines have been nesting in balcony planters at SunTrust Plaza since 1997. An older camera provided lower-quality images of the nest until a few years ago.
The new camera and other upgrades were provided through a grant from The Environmental Resources Network (TERN), the friends group of DNR’s Nongame Conservation Section, and key support from the international law firm McKenna Long & Aldridge, whose offices overlook the falcons nest, and the Garden Club of Georgia Inc. All three were also partners in the original camera project.
McKenna Long & Aldridge Chairman Jeff Haidet said observing the nesting and offspring of the peregrines each spring “is a reminder of just how extraordinary it is to have these two incredible birds of prey living in our midst in downtown Atlanta.”
“And with this year’s new, higher quality streaming webcam,” Haidet added, “everybody can have almost as good a view of this fascinating process as I do.”
Peregrines are possibly the fastest animals in the world. Their stoops, or dives, used to catch birds in flight have been clocked at more than 200 mph!
But wildlife lovers can keep close tabs on this falcon family and comment via social media features on Ustream, one of the world’s largest live-streaming platforms.
Peregrines were removed from the federal list of threatened and endangered species because of a successful population recovery effort. Yet the birds are still state-listed as rare in Georgia.
What’s not so rare now is seeing up-close what nest life is like for one pair of Atlanta falcons!
Help conserve peregrines and other nongame wildlife, native plants and natural habitats through buying or renewing a wildlife license plate, or contributing to the Georgia Wildlife Conservation Fund income tax checkoff. Both programs support DNR’s Nongame Conservation Section, which receives no state funds for its mission to conserve native wildlife not hunted, fished for, trapped or collected.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14-Mar-13, 10:16:30 AM »

Thanks for posting.  I had no idea that Atlanta had falcons that aren't football players.   Smiley

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14-Mar-13, 10:20:23 AM »

Thanks for posting.  I had no idea that Atlanta had falcons that aren't football players.   Smiley

Many moons ago they had some local advocates who were very active here...Jim & Sherry Heard. We lost track of the Atlanta birds when they moved from the area. I'm glad to hear they're still doing well!

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14-Mar-13, 10:23:15 AM »

Many moons ago they had some local advocates who were very active here...Jim & Sherry Heard. We lost track of the Atlanta birds when they moved from the area. I'm glad to hear they're still doing well!

I remember Jim and Sherry. They were so nice! Does anyone know where they are now?
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14-Mar-13, 10:30:17 AM »

I remember Jim and Sherry. They were so nice! Does anyone know where they are now?

In Atlanta!  devil

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14-Mar-13, 10:49:20 AM »

In Atlanta!  devil

Actually not IN Atlanta anymore. I don't recall right now exactly where, but more out in the countryside of Georgia.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14-Mar-13, 11:48:07 AM »

In Atlanta!  devil

Actually not IN Atlanta anymore. I don't recall right now exactly where, but more out in the countryside of Georgia.

Ahh but still in Ga!

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19-Mar-13, 07:48:39 PM »

Incubating:

nycbird
Fledgling

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19-Mar-13, 08:11:34 PM »

You know we are not going to see a darn thing as those weeds grow!!!
We need a yardman.!!

nycbird
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 19-Mar-13, 09:01:58 PM »

I think I know someone who can get on this in Atlanta.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19-Mar-13, 09:03:27 PM »

I think I know someone who can get on this in Atlanta.

clap Cool Bonnie!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: