THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 10:15:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: San Jose Falcons have new nest box for Christmas  (Read 4761 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 05-Dec-09, 11:03:07 PM »

San Jose Peregrine Falcons Given Out of Box Holiday Present

falcon camSAN JOSE (KCBS)  -- Bird researchers rappelled down the side of City Hall Friday to install a new bird box on the 18th floor, filled with new gravel.

Glen Stewart with the Predatory Bird Research Group at UC Santa Cruz said there's new evidence that egg hatchability is improved if the gravel is changed out every few years.

The city had just two falcons in 1970, when the species was nearly extinct.

These wild falcons, Clara and Esteban Colbert, have successfully hatched 10 falcon chicks during their three years nesting next to the highest levels of city government.

Like city officials, they are heavily scrutinized. Thousands have thrilled to even their mundane activities via webcam.

Perhaps conscious of all the raptor attention, Mayor Chuck Reed went out of his way to note that no taxpayer money was going to the birds.

http: //www.kcbs.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=4211688   Listen

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06-Dec-09, 11:22:37 AM »

personally I wouldn't mind if my taxpayer money went to help the birds. Its all the other bull they waste it on that is the problem.
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-Dec-09, 12:18:35 AM »

One of the adults visited the nest area today. It seemed to be foggy or misty in San Jose.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14-Feb-10, 07:20:55 AM »

Esteban and Clara Colbert, two peregrine falcons, can been seen through the cameras, on top of San Jose City Hall.

San Jose Mayor Chuck Reid said $25,000 in donations from people and corporations enabled the purchase of a second camera.

“The timing is excellent, because it’s Valentine’s Day,” he said. “On Sunday, we’re going to have the falcon cams on to see what our two lovebirds are up to now, if they’re back in the nest. We hope to have some chicks in another month or so.”

Clara and Esteban Colbert have become worldwide sensations. “We have a fan base, a fan group. The Falcons have a Facebook page. We know that people around the world are watching them.”

People can see the two falcons Arrowhere.

Falconatic1
Eyas

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-May-10, 08:32:06 PM »

Hello all!  I'd like to report that the San Jose Falcons, Clara and Esteban Colbert (E.C.) had four eggs in their new nestbox, with laying beginning on March 2.  The first three eyasses hatched on April 11, and the fourth on April 14.  The saddest note is that our fourth eyas did not survive.  It seemed to just "fail to thrive" and expired around April 17.  We've taken a lot of video and posted to YouTube, so you can see their progress.  We now have three very robust eyasses, and expect fledging in about two weeks or so!

Please visit our YouTube site: http://www.youtube.com/SanJosePFA  every so often.  Every few days we try to get some new video uploaded;  they change so fast!  You can see the webcam live streaming video also 24/7 here: http://www2.ucsc.edu/scpbrg/nestcamSJ.htm

I am watching your falconcam personally, checking in on the progress of Beauty and Archer every day.  Best wishes for their first brood, falconatics!  wave

Debbie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: