rfalconcam - FalconWatch


Eyes to the Skies

My 10 hour falcon watch

By Rochester falcon watcher MAK

I started my watch at about 7:00am. My first falcon sighting was of the Beautyful one on Mercury perched on the money bag hand.  Beauty flew over to the top ibeam of the OCSR on the south side facing the river. About a half hour passed before the unbanded male flew in and landed a few feet to the left of her. Shortly thereafter, Beauty started eating cached food. The tiercel flew over to the right of her kind of begging at which point Beauty flew to the base of Mercury with her cached food and the male took off somewhere. Half hour later she flew back to OCSR and Joyce arrived to join me on watch.


Pic of tiercel on right begging Beauty for food!

Meanwhile, watcher Joyce was reporting 2 unbanded falcons in Brighton. So we definitely have a pair in Brighton a male hanging out with Beauty downtown and Lady Pefa at Kodak Park.

Joyce soon joined me on Broad St. bridge and I jumped in her Rav 4 to get out of the cold and I never got back to the truck until 5:00pm tonight! We left downtown for Kodak Park. CarolP joined us there where we had no pefa sighting and so after an hour or so we headed back downtown. We met up with CarolP on the Andrews St. bridge where Beauty and her handsome male friend were very close to each other on the north side of the OCSR top ibeam. We left to go pick up Brian and ended up running across Dana who told us that Beauty and I’m gonna call him Mr.T (unbanded tiercel) wre up in the elevator shaft of OCSR. We checked them out and then left to pick up Brian. The 3 of us rode over to Brighton where we found the unbanded male and female. After a short time both falcons flew away. Joyce then drove Brian and I to Jeannes house. We convinced her to join us and she jumped in the car!

Off we went with a report from watcher Dana that she was watching yet another unbanded female down in Charlotte near Shumway Marina. This female is very big! She left the old railroad tressle and flew due east toward Irondequoit. We managed to find her in Seabreeze on a lamp post by the Meyers Marina. After maybe 5 minutes she flew across the bay and out of view thus ending our falcon watch. We weren’t done yet! We decided to go look for eagles behind Basils restaurant but first we stopped to see watcher Susan Conway since we were “in the neighborhood”. By the time we got there it was too dark to see any eagles but I did see an eagle nest!

What a day of beautiful falcons and beautiful friends! I’ll close my report with a pic of Beauty on Mercury some 14 hrs. ago!    Good night!    🙂


6 Responses to “My 10 hour falcon watch”

  1. Donna Says:

    Wow, what a day for all you gals and Brian. Great report MAK!

  2. Paul Hamilton Says:

    Wow — what an adventure! Will next spring result in three nest sites in the Rochester area?

  3. Sage Says:

    What a great day! Excellent reporting MAK, and observing all this activity by watchers-on-duty today! I had it easy going out on a cloudy day to watch Ospreys and an Eagle!

  4. Christiane Says:

    Thoughts of MAYBE Mariah’s “unknown” unbanded offspring–she hung out in Irondequoit. . .j ust pondering. It sure will be an exciting spring if everyone stays in our area!

  5. margaret Says:

    Nice report, MAK. You certainly did have an eventful day. Stay warm!

  6. MAK Says:

    Thanks ladies! Christiane some of us watchers have discussed that very scenario! 🙂

Sponsored By

Times Square
powered by Shakymon