THE FORUM

20-Sep-24, 04:56:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wicklow Red Kites poisoned  (Read 2421 times)
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« on: 15-Apr-10, 08:14:51 AM »

News is not good elsewhere re the world's raptors. Here is a report of poisoned Red Kites in my own county, Wicklow. Should the culprits ever be found, I fear they will hardly suffer for their actions. I will have to check this, but I think the UK has much harsher punishments in place (largely thanks for groups like the RSPB) - for example, if a car was used in the event, they could see that confiscated, in addition to hefty fines and imprisonment. In Ireland? Alas such things are not treated with the seriousness they deserve... Here's the piece from The Irish Times...

Two Red Kites test positive for poison

Saturday, 27 March 2010 22:19

Two young Red Kites, found dead in Co Wicklow, have tested positive for poison.

The birds, which were released last July as part of a project by the Golden Eagle Trust to reintroduce the species to Ireland, were discovered by members by the public.

Just over a month after the discovery of a poisoned eagle chick in Co Sligo, two more rare birds have been found poisoned in Wicklow.

One Red Kite was found on a road near Aughrim in Co Wicklow, while a second was discovered floating in the sea, just off Wicklow Head.

The birds were released last July as part of a five-year project run by the Golden Eagle Trust, to reintroduce Red Kites, which became extinct here two hundred years ago.

The Golden Eagle Trust says while survival rates of the kites to date have been high, this latest poisoning is a setback and a worry.

A spokesperson for the Wicklow Branch of the Irish Cattle and Sheep Association has called on farmers to be cautious putting out bait.

Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15-Apr-10, 08:20:55 AM »

thumbsdown  no

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15-Apr-10, 08:26:52 AM »

grumble bang head

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: