THE FORUM

12-Oct-24, 07:29:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raptor Trust NJ: Some permanent residents  (Read 3587 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 05-May-10, 01:04:14 PM »

Chainsaw arrived as a nestling on May 31, 1996. The hollow tree in which his family’s nest was located had been cut down with a chainsaw. Several of the other owlets in the nest cavity were killed, and the tip of Chainsaw’s left wing was cut off, leaving him permanently unable to fly. One other owlet from the nest cavity survived; she was raised at The Raptor Trust and released a few months later.  Chainsaw is currently used for educational purposes.

n November, 1993, Dr. Thorndike brought a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk to the center. The bird had suffered a massive wing injury from either being hit by a car or gunshot, and Dr. Thorndike had amputated the right wing, to save her life. Her large size suggested that she is a female; her calm disposition allows us to use her for education programs.  Thorny is currently retired from educational programs but still resides at The Trust.

In July of 1986 Virgil was brought from The Chesapeake Bird Sanctuary as a downy chick. He imprinted on humans. He lacks a natural fear of people and does not recognize other Turkey vultures as his own kind, so he is unreleasable

And then there's Hootie's  story:

A large part of The Raptor Trust's work involves raising young birds that have been orphaned or separated from their parents during nesting season. To do so, we must be sure that the nestlings and fledglings in our care get "taught" how to survive as independent, wild birds. In the wild, birds imprint on their parent or parents. "Imprinting" occurs as a natural biological and behavioral response of young birds to the animals that raise them. It is essential that birds be raised by their own kind, since imprinting occurs within a short window of time in their early development (a time frame that varies among species). Owl chicks raised by people do not learn essential owl behavior that ensures their successful survival and breeding in the wild as adults; most importantly, owls raised by humans lose their natural fear and mistrust of humans. By imprinting on their parents, horned owl chicks learn the behavior appropriate to their species. At The Raptor Trust, from the years 1977 through 2000, orphaned Great Horned Owl chicks were put in Hootie's care.

Hootie was an unreleasable horned owl that lived at the Trailside Zoo in NJ until September 1976, when the zoo closed and The Raptor Trust gave her a home. We think she was at least ten years old at that time. Since then, for 23 years, Hootie has been the foster mother for all the orphaned Great Horned Owl chicks that came to TRT.

In New Jersey, Great Horned Owls begin courtship and nesting as early as December. By late January and February, many female horned owls are already incubating eggs. This was true of our Hootie, as well. Like wild Great Horned Owls (and most animals), Hootie's instinct to raise babies was triggered by photoperiodism: The lengthening of daylight, beginning in late December, triggered hormone production in Hootie's body, and those hormones stimulated her body to create eggs. By February, Hootie would be incubating two eggs. She had no mate, so her eggs were infertile, but she would guard them throughout the weeks that follow. Those same hormones also triggered a "mothering" instinct in her. We call this "broody;" that is, incubating eggs and getting ready to give warmth and care to the chicks once they hatch. Hootie's eggs never hatched, but invariably she got her babies. As early as March and as late as June, The Raptor Trust receives orphaned Great Horned Owl nestlings and fledglings. As soon as they are determined to be healthy, they were given to their waiting foster mother.
Hootie responded appropriately to the baby owl begging calls by gently offering them food and feeding their insatiable appetites.
Every spring for 5 years we wondered if she would come through, as she was quite old. And she came through for us again, in the spring and summer of 2000 when she was a minimum of 34 years old. Between March and June 2000, she raised 10 babies.
On August 24, 2000, our Hootie, the Mother of all Mothers, The Raptor Trust's reliable foster mom, died. In her 23 seasons at The Raptor Trust, Hootie had been a most devoted and attentive parent, raising over 300 Great Horned Owl chicks in her long life. Not one of them was her own; yet generations of Hootie's babies hunt the forests and woods of New Jersey, as fierce, wild Great Horned Owls.

Hootie

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05-May-10, 02:06:46 PM »

RIP  Hootie. What a great story for mothers day . Just shows that in nature  as in real  life genes aren't everything.  I'm adopted and I don't think my biological parents could have been better than the ones that brought me up!  Thanks Donna.    heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-May-10, 07:11:21 PM »

RIP  Hootie. What a great story for mothers day . Just shows that in nature  as in real  life genes aren't everything.  I'm adopted and I don't think my biological parents could have been better than the ones that brought me up!  Thanks Donna.    heart

That's sweet MAK....NO, THANK YOU!  crying  heart My 2 brother-in-laws adopted 3 African American children last year and I babysit for them every day after school and the Summer, full-time. Since they don't have a mom just 2 dads, they all made me something for Mother's Day. Now that is something.

Here's a pic of the whole family: From L: Xavier, Greg (hubby's brother) Nyree, Nya, and Gary!
See that bright Orange room....(I painted it).. hysterical

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-May-10, 07:20:29 PM »

That's sweet MAK....NO, THANK YOU!  crying  heart My 2 brother-in-laws adopted 3 African American children last year and I babysit for them every day after school and the Summer, full-time. Since they don't have a mom just 2 dads, they all made me something for Mother's Day. Now that is something.

Here's a pic of the whole family: From L: Xavier, Greg (hubby's brother) Nyree, Nya, and Gary!

What a good lookin' family! heart  Yes I see that wall it's kinda hard to miss. laugh   That's great that they made you something for Mothers day.   mbanana  Rock on girlfriend!! bguitar

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 06-May-10, 05:23:31 AM »

What a good lookin' family! heart  Yes I see that wall it's kinda hard to miss. laugh   That's great that they made you something for Mothers day.   mbanana  Rock on girlfriend!! bguitar

I'm crying...  Wink
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-May-10, 05:39:08 AM »

Here Janet 

Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira