THE FORUM

10-Oct-24, 06:37:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Backyard Hummingbirds and other critters  (Read 2383 times)
valhalla
« on: 03-Jul-10, 06:43:04 PM »

Ok, I'm going to attempt to delicately interject a bit of lightheartedness here.

I have an interesting backyard - squirrels, woodpeckers, songbirds, red shoulder hawks, and even a bald eagle and one 6-point buck have all made appearances (the buck and my hosta plants had better not be introduced - he jumped the fence during the snow).

I also have a magnificent lilac-colored crepe myrtle.  You folks in the north don't have them, but I am "in the zone".  They look like summer-time lilacs in many colors and they attract hummingbirds.  My husband gets concerned when the hummers aren't at the feeders because he loves to watch the little beasties - thinks they are neat. 

My bathroom looks out over the backyard....
Good entertainment - beats reading....
You have never experienced the "head" until a female humingbird is hovering outside the window!
chrissy
Pipping

Like Count: 6

Frodo checks my grammer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03-Jul-10, 07:30:34 PM »

Your garden must be a vision, Janet.

We have one species, the Ruby Throated hummingbird, here in the North. If you have the kind of feeders that have little bars they can sit on, they will sit still while sipping giving you a better photo op or just a better view of them. On these hot days I set up a mister over the potted plants on the deck. The hummingbirds love to fly through the cool mist. 

". . they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird."
      — Harper Lee
valhalla
« Reply #2 on: 03-Jul-10, 08:03:28 PM »

Your garden must be a vision, Janet.

We have one species, the Ruby Throated hummingbird, here in the North. If you have the kind of feeders that have little bars they can sit on, they will sit still while sipping giving you a better photo op or just a better view of them. On these hot days I set up a mister over the potted plants on the deck. The hummingbirds love to fly through the cool mist. 

Ah, this isn't the garden - that is out front with the feeders (our little girlfriend comes to visit us at the office window).  This is just the backyard - bird feeders, tomato plants, and the crepe myrtle.  I guess I'm going have to allow Rich to use my "head"!
ginha
Fledgling

Like Count: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03-Jul-10, 08:10:11 PM »

Ok, I'm going to attempt to delicately interject a bit of lightheartedness here.

I have an interesting backyard - squirrels, woodpeckers, songbirds, red shoulder hawks, and even a bald eagle and one 6-point buck have all made appearances (the buck and my hosta plants had better not be introduced - he jumped the fence during the snow).

I also have a magnificent lilac-colored crepe myrtle.  You folks in the north don't have them, but I am "in the zone".  They look like summer-time lilacs in many colors and they attract hummingbirds.  My husband gets concerned when the hummers aren't at the feeders because he loves to watch the little beasties - thinks they are neat. 

My bathroom looks out over the backyard....
Good entertainment - beats reading....
You have never experienced the "head" until a female humingbird is hovering outside the window!

You need to take pictures from the " head", devil I do.  hysterical. It is for me the best room to take pictures of  Birds at my feeders.

ginha
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: