THE FORUM

08-Oct-24, 10:30:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 600 miles just to eat? It's a daily feat for a barn swallow  (Read 3560 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 10-Jul-10, 06:30:00 AM »

A bald eagle soared along the spine of the river. Ospreys in the tree overhead watched warily, but didn't move from their nest. On the dock, we looked on as well, delighted to be returning to the peaceful rhythms of this wide tidal river. Virtually lost against this majestic backdrop, a handful of much smaller birds coursed about, seemingly oblivious to both the predators and their human observers.

The little birds with long, pointed wings swooped and swirled, executing acrobatic turns with precision and deadly accuracy. They were hawking insects that swarmed above the water, eating buzzing bugs with extraordinary efficiency. These precision flyers were wasting no time watching the eagle glide downriver. A half dozen of them continued to flit about in their pursuit of the endless bounty of the insects.

The barn swallow (Hirundo rustica) is the most widely distributed and abundant swallow in the world.

Along this stretch of the river, we also saw tree and northern rough-winged swallows. Cliff and bank swallows are also found nearby. A farmhouse down the road has a purple martin house that is crammed with occupants.

The world may be full of flying insects, but members of the swallow family do their best to manage the population explosion. Ornithologists have estimated that a single barn swallow can cover 600 miles daily during its constant swirling flight in pursuit of insects. The birds swarming about the dock seemed to be well on their way to that impressive mileage figure.

The sight of swarming swallows is common across the country at this time of year. This stands in stark contrast with the dead of winter, when not a single swallow will be seen. Without the plentiful insects of summer, these birds have nothing to eat. When the weather turns cold, swallows turn south.

The barn swallow breeds throughout the United States except for the Gulf Coast. Its range extends well into Canada. The birds winter in South America. Some barn swallows fly all the way to the tip of Argentina in their endless pursuit of their insect prey.

Barn swallows are relatively easy to identify. They are the only swallows with deeply forked tails. The birds are a dark, iridescent blue on top that transitions to black in the tail and trailing edges of their wings. They have rusty throats with matching forehead patches. The males have a dusky orange underneath while the females show white. Both sexes were displaying their aerial skills near the dock where we stood transfixed.

Barn swallows once built their nests along the rocky edges of streams. As their name suggests, today they are more readily found in barns.

But they are not limited to these rustic structures. The birds circling about us probably roost in the abandoned boat house rusting away next to this aging dock. A short distance downriver, barn swallows have made their nests under a dock, carefully placing them just above the reach of high tides.

Barn swallows' nests are made of wet soil. The birds fill their beaks full of mud and construct a cup that they attach to a cross beam or a man-made shelf. They are monogamous, and both male and female construct the nest. Once it is built, the female lays four to five eggs, which she will incubate for about two weeks. The male may share some of the nesting duties when he is not busy bringing bugs back to the nest for his mate's consumption.

After hatching, the chicks need only three weeks before they are ready to fledge.

That relatively quick breeding period allows the adults in the Chesapeake region to have a second brood most years. In contrast, the barn swallows at the northern extreme of their breeding range in Canada will start their migration south as early as July, cutting short their ability to raise a second brood.

The barn swallows swarming about us had wrested my attention away from the commanding presence of the bald eagle and the wary osprey. Throughout the small drama, the barn swallows mindlessly went about their business of hawking insects.

The barn swallows are content to know their place in the world and take full advantage of it.

Why do we find it so hard to be comfortable fitting into our niche in the world? These barn swallows will soon be sated.

I wish I were as easily satisfied.

dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 10-Jul-10, 12:01:04 PM »

This year I got to watch parts of barn swallows' breeding - I used to live in a building that had nests on it that the birds returned to every year to nest - I think I posted an album of them a few years ago; here is 2005-2006-2007; cuteness warning is definitely in effect:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=389666315506%3A685808627&sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharee

I still have a friend living in that building (besides the swallows) and although some stupid tuckpointers tore down the traditional nest, the swallows have built in a different location on the same building. When the eggs and chicks are still in the next, the adults sleep very close by at night, and very visible - then, after fledging, you walk right under/next to pipes and cables with shish-kebabs of sleeping fledgling barn swallows (they don't have much of a tail yet, when they first come out of the nest).

Nora and I exchanged barn swallow stories and pictures for a while - she had them too!

have a good weekend, all

dale
« Last Edit: 10-Jul-10, 12:29:05 PM by dale » Logged
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-Jul-10, 12:15:00 PM »

Hey dale, your tiny URL took me to Lou's colorama album...the first link was yours. Smiley

Pic 3 and 5 are quite adorable...love their faces...look like popeye

dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 10-Jul-10, 12:30:35 PM »

thanks, donna. those share links always are SO weird. Glad at least the one worked. And sometimes they still seem to sign one in as other people, don't they? that was gross. I removed the other.
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-Jul-10, 10:10:53 PM »

Dale,

These pictures are just adorable!  How cute they are!!!  Interesting about the fireworks.  We have been wondering if our peregrines started to prefer hanging out on the communication tower after the fireworks display this year.  They were pretty much in the midst of it!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 10-Jul-10, 11:03:56 PM »

These pictures are just adorable!  How cute they are!!!  Interesting about the fireworks. 

the fireworks at that location are insane - between two small lakeside parks, megatons of illicit fireworks...the smell of 4th of July gunpowder actually blocks out the smell of 4th of July marijuana from the same parks. The ground shakes from these MORTARS. So I was always terrified for the newly-fledged barn swallows, imagining them being flushed and flying around in the dark. They seem to just hunker down on their cables and pipes, though.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-Jul-10, 02:20:29 PM »

These birds are precious! :clap:Thanks for sharing.

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: