THE FORUM

08-Oct-24, 06:22:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Department of Moronic Avian-Related Headgear (DMARH) - Report #2  (Read 5553 times)
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« on: 23-Jun-10, 12:41:55 AM »

Being a generous person, Dale concocted the idea to share the Marvel of Engineering that is Lou's hummingbird helmet, giving others the opportunity to look like an idiot.  I was first on the list!  Dale sent the BFHH through the USPS, and one of two packages was unaccountably delayed; Dale suspected Homeland Security involvement, probably investigating the powdered substance (nectar mix).  I eventually received the boxes and eagerly assembled the Moronic Avian-Related Headgear, with able assistance from Jeane as chief documentarian and wise-cracker.

Note to Lou:  Part #BFHH2010 was a bit large for my head; I could have benefited from bigger sunglasses!

A resident female hummingbird has frequented our feeder and flowers all spring and summer, so I had high hopes that she would investigate this new source of nectar, but alas, she just flew past me to drink from her usual spot.  Being less clever than a hummingbird, it didn't occur to me to take the "normal" feeder down.

Unlike Dale, I didn't venture far into the world; I knew the backyard would reliably supply at least one RT Hummingbird.

It was a fun way to spend a blazing hot summer afternoon and I'll look forward to tracking the Hummingbird Helmet's progress across the country.  Thanks go to Dale and Lou for the opportunity to model this chic summer accessory.  Sample photos are below, but if you want to see the whole story, I've also created an album:
http://bellhanley.smugmug.com/House-Backyard/Hummingbird-Helmet-Adventure

Patti
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 23-Jun-10, 11:58:49 AM »

HAHAHAHAHA. Thank you, Patti!!! And I must say you look molto attractive in this contraption!!  I notice that you used clear nectar rather than red; I ought to have done the same because the ladies at the ball I wore the helmet to made catty remarks about how red clashed with my ball gown.

I can't believe you actually HAD a hummingbird flying over and he scorned the helmet!  
His usual greasy spoon must have looked less compromising. He was afraid of what his friends would say, too!

I have a very short video of myself in the helmet getting bored waiting for a hummingbird and starting to worry that a bee might fly into my mouth. Will post soon if I can figure that out.
Lou
Juvie

Like Count: 130

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 23-Jun-10, 07:28:54 PM »

LOL is right! You did a great job with the DMARH (aka BFH2010)!  With your red tank top and your plan to hide behind the flowers (lucky that you told me that you were there camouflaged behind the Lobelia..I almost didn't see you there), a reasonable person would think that a hummingbird would certainly favor the DMARH over the familiar hangout and stop in for a bite to eat. But, I guess in the same vein, people used to go to MacDongles and drive right by MacDonalds when it first hit the restaurant scene. We just need to give this time.

Thanks for your service in trying out the prototype. One of these days, we'll have success and we'll be able to say that we blazed a bold new trail!  Hah!

Lou

PS - Loved the album and really liked the Smugmug app!
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 24-Jun-10, 12:06:58 AM »

I notice that you used clear nectar rather than red; I ought to have done the same because the ladies at the ball I wore the helmet to made catty remarks about how red clashed with my ball gown.
It sounds like you need to find a new gown for your next ball that will coordinate with the helmet...something with glittery flowers, perhaps.

I do use clear nectar...having been to several hummingbird festivals and heard lectures by the hummingbird police (I mean experts), they always recommend not using the red-colored nectar.  Though there is no scientific evidence that it's bad for them, there is also no evidence that it is harmless.  So the thinking is that if the feeder is colored, the red nectar coloring is unnecessary, and better not to take the risk.  So I just use straight sugar water...no need to risk the ire of the hummingbird police.  I've got a pretty easy, but lazy system.  I have two feeders that are dishwasher safe and very easy to clean.  So I mix up about 32 ounces of nectar at a time, keep it in the refrigerator, and since the temps have been in the mid to high 90's, I change nectar every day.  The old feeder comes in, goes in the dishwasher, and a new feeder goes out with fresh nectar.  The refrigerated solution lasts about a week.

I'm going on a vacation at the end of July, which ought to be the start of the peak of hummingbird migration around here...so I'm hoping my cat sitter will keep the hummers well fed while I'm gone!
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 24-Jun-10, 01:14:29 AM »

I did once run into a discussion on the internet on the topic of "red" vs. "natural" sugar water for the hummer feeders, and daresay I did note a rather high degree of "ire" as you call it (panties on both sides were in great knottedness). Your solution seems practical, cheap and defensive.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-Jun-10, 09:26:23 AM »

I've have always used clear-4 parts water to 1 part sugar-for years changing the solution about every 3 days.  When cleaning, I just wash it with dish soap and a small brush (no dishwasher here) and each year we have several Hummingbirds frequent our feeder for the summer. Love all the pics and videos of the DMARH project!  hummer

ginha
Fledgling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-Jul-10, 01:44:03 PM »

I decided to take the "DMHAR" to a family Picnic and see if I could get others to play devil We all had fun trying to see if any sane Hummingbird would come near it. Thanks to Lou for creating the "BFH2010" model, did you take out a Patent on it  rofl It should make you a Fortune!!

The Helmet will be going on to it's next adventure, stay tuned to see where it goes next!!

ginha

http://tinyurl.com/2wkoecq
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-Jul-10, 01:59:37 PM »

I decided to take the "DMHAR" to a family Picnic and see if I could get others to play devil We all had fun trying to see if any sane Hummingbird would come near it. Thanks to Lou for creating the "BFH2010" model, did you take out a Patent on it  rofl It should make you a Fortune!!

The Helmet will be going on to it's next adventure, stay tuned to see where it goes next!!

ginha

That was great ginha....thanks for the family fun.  clap hummer You all gave it a good shot.

Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 11-Jul-10, 09:24:38 PM »

ginha

Good try, Ginha!  Love your T-shirt, by the way!

Patti
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 11-Jul-10, 11:16:34 PM »

Excellent (especially if no one in the extended family has head lice)!
thank you, Ginha!!!

Lou
Juvie

Like Count: 130

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 11-Jul-10, 11:51:30 PM »

For crying out loud Ginha. You had everybody within a country mile give the BFHH2010 a try and still no dang hummingbirds.  I wonder if the squirrels at Letchworth have something to do with this - I know they sure like to see me have fits. They probably sent out a letter to the hummingbird community saying 'stay away'. Bastid squirrels - I blame them!

At any rate, thanks for making my day! I had a good laugh. And tell Dave he looked quite dapper in the helmet.

Lou
ginha
Fledgling

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-Jul-10, 12:18:48 PM »

Excellent (especially if no one in the extended family has head lice)!
thank you, Ginha!!!

A few Fleas  nono suspicious but never any  Headlice scared blue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: