THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 04:50:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABCs of Birds - Letter N  (Read 8496 times)
gayle
Juvie

Like Count: 82

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28-Nov-10, 11:58:23 AM »

Nene

The nene is the state bird of Hawaii.  It is endemic to the islands and is thought to have evolved from the Canada goose some 500,000 years ago.  Once numerous, it is now endangered and is limited to a few islands.  Successful breeding programs are in place, on the islands and in Britain.  It now hangs around parking lots at tourist areas begging for food.  The sign is at Volcano National Park.

Gayle
gayle
Juvie

Like Count: 82

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28-Nov-10, 12:37:33 PM »

Northern Fulmar

The Northern Fulmar is a pelagic, sub-Arctic species.  It is related to petrels and shearwaters.  It is largish, 18 inches tall with a wingspan of 3 ½ feet.  Like all pelagic birds, it has a salt gland above the nasal passages through which it expels salt.  In early morning fog, we found a breeding colony on Chagulak in the Aleutian Islands.  When food is plentiful, fulmars gather in rafts.  Wikipedia has a good description:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Fulmar

Gayle
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28-Nov-10, 12:48:47 PM »

I love this pic! flash 2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28-Nov-10, 12:52:51 PM »

clap Great pic of the male Cardinal Donna! And Gayle I get all warm and fuzzy inside when I see a male Cardinal feeding a fledgling or his mate. It's one of the sweetest sights there is!!! Thanks all! clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
~Ruth
Juvie

Like Count: 19

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28-Nov-10, 03:22:30 PM »

Nene goose...When in Hawaii I remember the tour bus driver made a special stop so we could see them, yes, in a parking lot.  I also have a old faded Tshirt with picture of one.
Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28-Nov-10, 03:30:27 PM »

N is for Nuthatch
It's the only N bird that I can find. I saw my first Nuthatch in a park in Budapest, Hungary. Funny how you remember things.

Here a few pictures from the Nuthach webcam this year, it was a great webcam and so nice to follow this bird during the egg season. At first they made the hole in the nestbox a lot smaller.
greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: