THE FORUM

23-Sep-24, 07:20:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some awesome photos of Humpbacks in a feeding frenzy  (Read 2687 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 12-Apr-11, 12:09:12 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1376091/Amazing-images-whales-flight-feed-waters-Alaska.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 12-Apr-11, 02:46:59 PM »

Now that is a big  wow   clap
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-Apr-11, 03:35:42 PM »

When we were Maui a few years ago, we were on a whale watch when 2 males that had been pursuing a female and her calf took an interest in our boat.  It's against the law there for boats to approach them so the engines were stopped and we sat waiting as they came alongside the boat. They both started going under it-coming up on one side and then going under to come up on the other side. They would swim alongside the boat, come up, turn on their side and pound their fin against the water.  At times, we could have reached down and almost touched them, they were so close!  This lasted for about 20 minutes until they got tired of us and went on their way. It was thrilling but kind of unnerving at the same time wondering if they were going to get under the boat and decide to surface but it was the most thrilling time of our lives to see these huge mammals so close up. We saw many Humpbacks the 2 weeks we were there as it was the time of the year when they come to those waters to birth their calves.  To see one breach out of the water is breathtaking!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-Apr-11, 03:47:17 PM »

When we were Maui a few years ago, we were on a whale watch when 2 males that had been pursuing a female and her calf took an interest in our boat.  It's against the law there for boats to approach them so the engines were stopped and we sat waiting as they came alongside the boat. They both started going under it-coming up on one side and then going under to come up on the other side. They would swim alongside the boat, come up, turn on their side and pound their fin against the water.  At times, we could have reached down and almost touched them, they were so close!  This lasted for about 20 minutes until they got tired of us and went on their way. It was thrilling but kind of unnerving at the same time wondering if they were going to get under the boat and decide to surface but it was the most thrilling time of our lives to see these huge mammals so close up. We saw many Humpbacks the 2 weeks we were there as it was the time of the year when they come to those waters to birth their calves.  To see one breach out of the water is breathtaking!

Lucky, lucky, you! I can only wish!
« Last Edit: 13-Apr-11, 06:16:36 AM by Donna » Logged

valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 13-Apr-11, 05:34:27 AM »

I know that creepy feeling, Kris!  When we would run off the Jersey coast, dolphins would often show up and come close.  I always feared that one would punch the boat or get clipped with our props.  Of course, they are pretty smart and that never happened, but I always worried about it  Embarrassed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: