THE FORUM

12-Sep-24, 10:23:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hmmmm, Could Beauty & Unity be Related?  (Read 7132 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« on: 13-May-11, 05:30:28 PM »

My first answer would be a resounding NO WAY!  Well thanks to Kathy B for forwarding to me this link to Kate St. John's Blog.  She is the "Jess" to the Cathedral of Learning nestsite in Pittsburg, PA, where Beauty hatched.  Go forth and read and be amazed.   Shocked

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2011/05/13/peyton-place-for-dorothys-girls/

Peregrines know no borders.....
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13-May-11, 05:44:09 PM »

My first answer would be a resounding NO WAY!  Well thanks to Kathy B for forwarding to me this link to Kate St. John's Blog.  She is the "Jess" to the Cathedral of Learning nestsite in Pittsburg, PA, where Beauty hatched.  Go forth and read and be amazed.   Shocked

http://w
ww.wqed.org/birdblog/2011/05/13/peyton-place-for-dorothys-girls/

This is a surprise but also a surprise that she says Unity has laid eggs.  How does she know this when it's never been confirmed by anyone here or if it has, we don't know about it yet?

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-May-11, 05:46:05 PM »

My first answer would be a resounding NO WAY!  Well thanks to Kathy B for forwarding to me this link to Kate St. John's Blog.  She is the "Jess" to the Cathedral of Learning nestsite in Pittsburg, PA, where Beauty hatched.  Go forth and read and be amazed.   Shocked

This is a surprise but also a surprise that she says Unity has laid eggs.  How does she know this when it's never been confirmed by anyone here or if it has, we don't know about it yet?

She has been reading my tweets.  I have stated that I am sure that there is at least one egg based on behaviour.  We are working on getting confirmation.  We cannot get a good look, even with a scope from below.  The Blue Bldg. is on Kodak property.  We are working on it!

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-May-11, 05:51:40 PM »

Oh Mama Mia!! This gets better every day!!

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-May-11, 06:03:06 PM »

We should have known he was this way when he started with our sweet Mariah and then took up with Beauty.  Apparently this bird does not know that falcons are typically (though not always-- Windwhistler) loyal to one.  Does he not know who is grandparents are?  Sheesh

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-May-11, 06:09:50 PM »

We should have known he was this way when he started with our sweet Mariah and then took up with Beauty.  Apparently this bird does not know that falcons are typically (though not always-- Windwhistler) loyal to one.  Does he not know who is grandparents are?  Sheesh

I'm with you Jeanne!  Kind of ruins the whole image of a Peregrine pair, devoted to each other, who are raising their family together.  Nothing like what we had with M&K. Just my opinion....

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 13-May-11, 08:01:07 PM »

Men!  And we ladies put up with some them. Hope Archer delivers in every sense of the word.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-May-11, 10:10:56 PM »

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2011/05/13/peyton-place-for-dorothys-girls/

I found the site on the Facebook link. It is an amazing story.  Could it also be survival of the fittest? Those gene pools that are the best/strongest go on?   Just thinking out loud; I'm not a scientist!   :-)
Do we need a new family tree?
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13-May-11, 10:13:36 PM »

My first answer would be a resounding NO WAY!  Well thanks to Kathy B for forwarding to me this link to Kate St. John's Blog.  She is the "Jess" to the Cathedral of Learning nestsite in Pittsburg, PA, where Beauty hatched.  Go forth and read and be amazed.   Shocked

My money is on you Carol, to get a look at what is up there!  I'm also betting that if you think there is an egg up there, that there IS an egg up there!   
This is a surprise but also a surprise that she says Unity has laid eggs.  How does she know this when it's never been confirmed by anyone here or if it has, we don't know about it yet?

She has been reading my tweets.  I have stated that I am sure that there is at least one egg based on behaviour.  We are working on getting confirmation.  We cannot get a good look, even with a scope from below.  The Blue Bldg. is on Kodak property.  We are working on it!
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-May-11, 10:21:17 PM »

We should have known he was this way when he started with our sweet Mariah and then took up with Beauty.  Apparently this bird does not know that falcons are typically (though not always-- Windwhistler) loyal to one.  Does he not know who is grandparents are?  Sheesh

I'm with you Jeanne!  Kind of ruins the whole image of a Peregrine pair, devoted to each other,  :wub:re raising their family together.  Nothing like what we had with M&K. Just my opinion....

wub2
I was just thinking the same thing, Kris, and then I saw  your post.  It seemed so simple to watch our falcons atop the Kodak tower.  Sweet Mariah and devoted Kaver raising their little ones.    This has become a Peyton Place...I'm showing my age.    The drama!
 Shocked
chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-May-11, 10:59:56 PM »

1stwe had slapstick comedy with the austin screech owls and now we present
for your entertainment  the high drama of "dorothy's girls"---how does it get
better than this?  laugh and crying
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14-May-11, 12:48:01 AM »

Men!  And we ladies put up with some them. Hope Archer delivers in every sense of the word.

I think he has been delivering- hence the peyton place Cheesy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14-May-11, 07:24:38 AM »

Despite the rain, the Peregrine bandings went well today both at UT and the Commodore Perry.

At UT there were three females and one male.  The male was named Harold and the females were named Myrtle, Unity and Layla.

Found this online, banding was May 26, 2009.

As parents of the Toledo area’s biggest peregrine falcon brood this year, The University of Toledo’s resident adult pair, Belle and Allen, could claim this year’s crown — if they weren’t so busy feeding the four voracious offspring who received their names and leg bands last Tuesday.

A team from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) again navigated the winding approach to the top of University Hall Tower where the peregrines’ nesting box is situated. With the parents wheeling and swooping overhead, the four young falcons were tucked into blanket sacks and carried to a mobile banding station ODNR set up next to the Student Union. Protected from the morning’s cold drizzle, the three-week-old birds were fitted with identification bands and had their blood drawn for genetic testing, providing vital stats for the Raptor Center at the University of Minnesota, where all North American birds of prey are registered.

The peregrines’ relative sizes made sexing easy, and the three large females and one smaller male were given names picked by UT employees and the Toledo Naturalists Association, the latter choosing to honor noted ornithologist Harold Mayfield and longtime association member Myrtle Sarver. Unity and Leela rounded out the quartet’s monikers.

Once the newest members of UT’s peregrine family were returned to the nest, ODNR loaded up their vehicles to band three chicks at the Commodore Perry nest in downtown Toledo. The two eggs at the Bay Shore Power Plant nest in Oregon will require a future visit.

Belle and Allen have so far produced nine young; this year’s chicks will be learning to fly within two or three weeks. The process of going airborne has its risks, so if you happen to see a young peregrine down, call Grounds at 419.530.1011 so UT personnel can return the fledging flier to the safety of the nest.

Could be her!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15-May-11, 10:42:49 AM »

good post

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: