THE FORUM

30-Sep-24, 09:31:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wildlife Aid Founder faces fear to save trapped Peregrine falcon (UK)  (Read 2110 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 01-Jul-11, 07:31:22 AM »

The founder of Wildlife Aid Foundation in Leatherhead was forced to face his fear of heights this week after scaling a 70ft tower to rescue a peregrine falcon.

Simon Cowell MBE, who presents TV documentary series Wildlife SOS, was called to the scene after concerned residents spotted a falcon, which had nested on the tower with its partner, tangled in netting hanging from the tower.

After climbing 300 steps and out onto an 18-inch ledge, Mr Cowell was able to cut the falcon free and bring it down to safety.

He said: “I don’t mind telling you I was petrified.

“I can’t stand heights and because they told me the railings were unsafe I ended up having to crawl on my hands and knees!

“Luckily, once I got to the poor bird I was able to cut away enough of the netting to be able to free him, and then carry him down very carefully and very gradually.â€

“Although our falcon patient is very bruised, scratched and swollen, and has extensive feather damage, we are doing everything we can for him.

“At the moment, though, he is still dazed and in shock so it is difficult to make a full assessment of how long he will take to recuperate.

“We have put him in our special daylight-secluded aviary.â€

The location of the tower cannot be identified due to the sensitivity of the nesting site.

The bird is now being cared for at the Wildlife Aid Foundation’s veterinary hospital in Randalls Road, Leatherhead where hundreds of sick and orphaned wild animals and birds are nursed back to health every year.

The Guardian UK

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 01-Jul-11, 07:51:19 AM »

Simon Cowell MBE, who presents TV documentary series Wildlife SOS, was called to the scene...

I was wondering what had happened to him after he left American Idol.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-Jul-11, 08:31:27 AM »

Simon Cowell MBE, who presents TV documentary series Wildlife SOS, was called to the scene...

I was wondering what had happened to him after he left American Idol.

I knew someone would think that!!  secret2

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01-Jul-11, 11:34:27 AM »

Poor baby!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: