THE FORUM

30-Sep-24, 06:23:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rare eagle found shot dead was killed in Northern Ireland  (Read 2825 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 21-Nov-09, 06:40:34 AM »

A ninth white-tailed sea eagle has been killed since the project to reintroduce the birds of prey began two years ago.

The scientist in charge of the project in Co Kerry believes the eagle was shot in Northern Ireland, and brings to nine the number of eagles that have died of man-led causes, with most of them dying from poisoning.

The PSNI and wildlife groups in Northern Ireland are involved in the investigation into the reported shooting of the female eagle which was found by kayakers floating on Lough Neagh, Co Antrim, in mid-October.

Examination of the eagle's transmitter indicated that it had been shot. Golden eagles became extinct in Ireland in the 1950s, but the reintroduction of them to the Republic has seen the birds return to the north.

Dr Allan Mee, who was previously involved with the successful re-introduction of condors in North America, yesterday said 55 eagles had so far been brought from Norway -- where they are already becoming a major tourist attraction -- to the Killarney National Park, Co Kerry.

"Up until now the eagles have spent months at a time safely in Northern Ireland before returning to Kerry," Dr Mee said.

The ambitious project, backed by the Republic's National Parks and Wildlife Service along with the Golden Eagle Trust, plans to re-introduce 100 of the birds which were last recorded in Ireland -- off the coasts of Co Kerry and Co Mayo -- in 1898.

Dr Mee said he strongly believed the people would not accept eagles being driven to extinction by illegal shooting and poisoning once again.

"For me the survival of these birds and the success of the reintroduction programms is a test of how far we have come as a people."

valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 21-Nov-09, 12:58:26 PM »

Man!  I have a lot of negative adjectives and verbs for this one!   tickedoff grumble thumbsdown
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-Nov-09, 03:02:08 PM »

Man!  I have a lot of negative adjectives and verbs for this one!   tickedoff grumble thumbsdown

I think I said them...  surprise Cheesy

valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 21-Nov-09, 07:52:47 PM »

Well, Jersey Girls know a few that the rest of the world don't.  Man!  This crap really p's me off!  Uncalled for and no reason - not going to eat the birds!  I don't get idiots!
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22-Nov-09, 11:34:05 AM »

This is why I HATE (some) people tickedoff grumble
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: