THE FORUM

20-Sep-24, 04:34:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archer's name/namer  (Read 4053 times)
imkakkingmad1
Eyas

Like Count: 15

aka Helen P.

View Profile
« on: 21-May-10, 08:27:39 PM »

Am thrilled we get to watch Mariah & Kaver's great-grandkids.  happy  And thanks to all who made it happen, especially with the streaming video.

I can't remember - who named Archer? And what does his name signify?

Thanks,
Helen P.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21-May-10, 09:02:02 PM »

Am thrilled we get to watch Mariah & Kaver's great-grandkids.  happy  And thanks to all who made it happen, especially with the streaming video.

Thanks,
Helen P.

Found this:

Thursday June 15, 2006
Doug Garbutt reports: We have picked the names for our young falcons. They have been named Sampson, Cimaron, Skylar & Archer. These are the names we pulled out of a hat from the ones submitted by the employees. We also had our 1st one fledge early this morning. He flew around the tower and landed back in the nest box twice! Later he flew over to the other grain elevator and back to our building 4 times over the course of the day. I went back out to the mill at around 8pm and found him on the very top of our elevator (above the nest box). I think he may spend the night there. He flew very well. You guys were right on with the projected fledge date. You said 5 days and it was exactly that. We'll keep you up to date.

Saturday June 10, 2006
Doug Garbutt reports: Banding Day!

The 4 eyases were banded today with great success. Since the 1st one hatched on May 9th, they were pretty mobile. Attending the event (besides the crew lucky enough to be working at the mill that weekend) were MNR bander, Mark Heaton & his 3 children, Anne Yagi from the MNR & Bruce Massey & Mark Nash from the CPF. After climbing the grueling 12 floor trek, (each floor 3 times the height of a normal floor), lugging all the necessary equipment, the crew finally reached the summit. The awesome sliding door on the front of the nest box ad been closed for about an hour before the banding crew arrived. This didn't seem to bother the chicks much but the adults were really freaked out to say the least. Some of the Mill workers that were out on the roof replacing filters had to retreat inside as the adult falcons were aggressively attacking them. When the chicks were removed from the box & brought to be banded, all involved were amazed at the incredible specimens in front of them. It was determined that there were 3 Males & 1 Female. This was a good thing in a season that had produced few female birds. The 3 males were named Sampson, Skylar & Archer, the female was named Cimaron. Everyone attending the event went away with a sense of amazement. I will forward some pics asap. The young ones here this year seem to be just fine & I assume they will be fledging this week some time.

imkakkingmad1
Eyas

aka Helen P.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-May-10, 09:44:03 PM »

Thanks, Donna - I forgot about the possibility of Archer not being a Rochester baby. I've always liked the way that "our" kids were named by school children, our falcon board members, etc. and that they include a significance to the name, like, Skye, Mariah and others.

hatch1 hatch1

Helen P.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-May-10, 10:07:45 PM »

Thanks,
Helen P.

Archer was born at the ADM Mill in Port Colborne, Ontario and ADM stands for Archer Daniels Midland Mill where I always thought he got his name from.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22-May-10, 08:07:01 AM »

Thanks,
Helen P.

Archer was born at the ADM Mill in Port Colborne, Ontario and ADM stands for Archer Daniels Midland Mill where I always thought he got his name from.

Wow...cool....thank Kris!  clap I figured they had to supply names from some where to put in that hat!

imkakkingmad1
Eyas

aka Helen P.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-May-10, 10:00:45 AM »

Yeah - makes sense!  2thumbsup

Helen P.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: