THE FORUM

20-Sep-24, 05:38:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Questions  (Read 3408 times)
DoggyMom
Fluffball

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« on: 27-May-10, 01:14:49 PM »

1) Someone wrote on the 'blog' that appears with the Ustream video that it's more difficult for Beauty and Archer to hunt when it is hot b/c it is more exhausting and because their prey tend to seek cover from the heat making them harder to find. If we continue to have this hot weather are the babies at risk?

2) At what point will Beauty and Archer be able to stop direct feeding of the eyas, i.e. when can they drop the food on the nest and the little ones will be able to peck and tear and feed off them by themselves?
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27-May-10, 01:21:36 PM »

1) Someone wrote on the 'blog' that appears with the Ustream video that it's more difficult for Beauty and Archer to hunt when it is hot b/c it is more exhausting and because their prey tend to seek cover from the heat making them harder to find. If we continue to have this hot weather are the babies at risk?

2) At what point will Beauty and Archer be able to stop direct feeding of the eyas, i.e. when can they drop the food on the nest and the little ones will be able to peck and tear and feed off them by themselves?

It may be more difficult because of the heat but they will prevail. M & K had no problems hunting in the heat...there was always enough food. They cache some also for this reason...like Jim P just said, "Beauty found some cached food and fed the babies". I have never seen any eyas go without in the 7 yrs I've been watching. As far as feeding themselves..that's a long way off. Even when they look like they are ready to fledge, some need assistance from mom and dad....others will tear into it. It's a matter of who really wants it more.

valhalla
« Reply #2 on: 27-May-10, 01:32:46 PM »

It may be more difficult because of the heat but they will prevail. M & K had no problems hunting in the heat...there was always enough food. They cache some also for this reason...like Jim P just said, "Beauty found some cached food and fed the babies". I have never seen any eyas go without in the 7 yrs I've been watching. As far as feeding themselves..that's a long way off. Even when they look like they are ready to fledge, some need assistance from mom and dad....others will tear into it. It's a matter of who really wants it more.

You know, while I was watching and reading some of the chatter, I sat perfectly calm, as these two have been getting fed pretty regularly and they are always caching food.  I guess Beauty wanted them to be really ready for lunch.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27-May-10, 01:40:52 PM »

Good answers piglet!    clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 27-May-10, 06:27:04 PM »

I'd be surprised if falcons had any sense of their own metabolism or that of their offspring.  Feeding doesn't stop because it gets hot outside.  Basically they eat when food is available; the environment has little to do with it (beyond contributing to the overall abundance of prey in the area).

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: