THE FORUM

24-Sep-24, 01:24:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cat food recall  (Read 2228 times)
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« on: 09-Jun-10, 11:28:20 PM »

http://rochesterhomepage.net/fulltext/?nxd_id=184225

Rochester, NY-Many times recalled items have things added to them that could be dangerous to your family, but with this latest recall of Iams pet food, it's what's not in the can that could be deadly to your pet.

Its easy for Suzanne Szczech to tell when her cat Freddie is sick enough to go to the vet.

"When he's sick you know that he's sick. He lays down in one spot doesn't eat or drink".

For owners of cats with thiamine defiency however, it may not be so easy for them to tell that something is wrong. Dr. Kristen Woolsley, DVM says"You base it on the fact that they recieved the diet, they're showing the classic clinical signs and it resolves with treatment."

Iams pet food is recalling all varieties of 3 oz and 5.5 oz cans of Proactive Health canned cat and kitten food because they do not contain enough thiamine, a vitamin cats need to stay helthy.

Signs that your cat isn't getting enough thiamine include loss of appetite, salivation, vomiting and weight loss. Dr. Woolsley added "Most people were seeing problems about 2 weeks after being on the deficient diet...certainly if you have cat that's not acting right any neurological signs any gastrointesitinal signs certainly call your veterinarian."

It's a problem Szczech wasn't aware of, but now says she'll watch out for.

"I think its outrageous...I know that cats needed certain nutrition but I didn't know they needed certain vitamins."

Dr. Woolsley says the condition is easily treated if its caught early enough.

If you think you have some of the food in your house you can get a refund by calling Iams' parent company Proctor and Gamble at (877) 340-8826. You can find the latest information from the company by clicking here:

http://www.pginvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=104574&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1436427

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
huddiecat
Juvie

Like Count: 44

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10-Jun-10, 04:41:00 PM »

This is discouraging!  The other day my cat, Huddie, started vomiting violently for no apparent reason.  At the time, I couldn't help but wonder if there was something wrong with his food.  Now, I really wonder, and will keep an eye on him...of course, I always of anyway happy
Suzanne
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: