THE FORUM

24-Sep-24, 01:23:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SeaWorld Killer Whale and Calf Die During Birth  (Read 4083 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 09-Jun-10, 07:35:52 AM »

A 20 year old killer whale at SeaWorld Orlando died Sunday afternoon from complications while giving birth to a calf, park officials said.

Taima, an orca who was herself born at SeaWorld Orlando in 1990, died 20 hours after she went into labor Saturday evening. The calf was stillborn.

Taima was one of eight killer whales at the park and had successfully given birth to three calves previously.

Veterinary experts at SeaWorld Orlando said Taima's calf was in an unusual position in the birth canal when she went into labor. She was also suffering from a condition where the placenta is delivered before the calf.

The calf's father was Tilikum, who made headline in February when he grabbed the hair of his trainer Dawn Brancheau and pulled her underwater where she died of severe injuries to her head and body.

SeaWorld said in a statement the park has an excellent history of successful calf births since 1985 and this was the first killer whale to die giving birth in 25 years, saying losing the calf was more common.

I say "RELEASE them all"

Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09-Jun-10, 07:38:52 AM »

Very sad story.  Cry

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-Jun-10, 07:39:46 AM »

A 20 year old killer whale at SeaWorld Orlando died Sunday afternoon from complications while giving birth to a calf, park officials said.

Taima, an orca who was herself born at SeaWorld Orlando in 1990, died 20 hours after she went into labor Saturday evening. The calf was stillborn.

Taima was one of eight killer whales at the park and had successfully given birth to three calves previously.

Veterinary experts at SeaWorld Orlando said Taima's calf was in an unusual position in the birth canal when she went into labor. She was also suffering from a condition where the placenta is delivered before the calf.

The calf's father was Tilikum, who made headline in February when he grabbed the hair of his trainer Dawn Brancheau and pulled her underwater where she died of severe injuries to her head and body.

SeaWorld said in a statement the park has an excellent history of successful calf births since 1985 and this was the first killer whale to die giving birth in 25 years, saying losing the calf was more common.

I say "RELEASE them all"

Super mega ditto!!!! crying

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-Jun-10, 07:55:59 AM »

Cry crying
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-Jun-10, 12:11:15 PM »

This is such a devastating loss.  The trainer, the mama and her baby---- crying

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
dbishop
Eyas

Like Count: 11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-Jun-10, 12:29:53 PM »

I say "RELEASE them all"

It was tried with Kako.   It took the 3 years to teach him how to hunt for fish on his own, and even then he imprinted on people, and was apparently rejected by wild Orca.   He was found dead a year after being released in Norway.

We can't release these animals, it would be killing them slowly, like was done with Kako.  The best place for them is where they are, in a large aquarium where they can be with one another.  Instead of hunting, they perform.   Thus we have create a new "social" species of Orca, that is now captive.

We can't undo what we have done to them, so all we can do is maintain them as they are.
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-Jun-10, 03:04:19 PM »

I say "RELEASE them all"

It was tried with Kako.   It took the 3 years to teach him how to hunt for fish on his own, and even then he imprinted on people, and was apparently rejected by wild Orca.   He was found dead a year after being released in Norway.

We can't release these animals, it would be killing them slowly, like was done with Kako.  The best place for them is where they are, in a large aquarium where they can be with one another.  Instead of hunting, they perform.   Thus we have create a new "social" species of Orca, that is now captive.

We can't undo what we have done to them, so all we can do is maintain them as they are.

I remember when that happened.  So sad! 

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-Jun-10, 09:39:00 PM »

Thank You!
We, of all people, should understand that a "wild" animal who has imprinted on humans is unlikely to survive if returned to "the wild".  The only hope for many endangered species is captive breeding programs.  It is no kindness to abandon these animals to "nature", where they will almost surely die miserably.
Carol
WV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: