THE FORUM

19-Sep-24, 07:52:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letchworth State Park and Mary Jemison, White Woman of the Genesee  (Read 5291 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« on: 10-Jun-10, 12:35:23 PM »

One of the eyases was named today for a great woman.  Here's a little history:

Mary Jemison-White Woman of the Genesee

It is fitting that beautiful Letchworth State Park, which stretches over 17 miles of Livingston and Wyoming Counties, is the final resting place of Mary Jemison, the White Woman of the Genesee.

Mary was born during an Atlantic Ocean crossing in 1743, the daughter of Irish immigrants who came to settle in the new world, attracted by the freedom and inexpensive land this nation offered.  During the French and Indian War, fifteen year old Mary was captured by a raiding party of Shawnee and French  who killed most of her family.  At Fort Duquesne, she was sold to the Seneca Indians.   She was adopted into the Seneca tribe, took on their customs as well as the name Dehgawanus meaning “Two Falling Voices.”
As a young woman, she took a Delaware husband named Sheninjee and gave birth to a daughter who died in infancy, followed by a son she named Thomas, after her father.  In the 700 mile trek from their home in Ohio to the banks of the Genesee river, her first husband died.  The widow  was taken in by her husband’s family, and she eventually remarried a Seneca named Hiakatoo, giving birth to six more children.

After the Revolutionary War broke out, and as settlers began to take more and more of the land that was once home to the Native American, life became increasingly difficult for Mary’s adopted people.  Through negotiations at the Treaty of Big Tree, Mary was instrumental in helping safeguard almost 18,000 acres of land known as the Gardeau Reservation.

Eventually, most of that land was sold and in 1831, Mary sold off title to the last 2-acre parcel of land reserved to her use and moved to the Buffalo Creek Reservation where she passed away in 1833.

Mary's Statue and the cabin she built for her daughter

In 1874, after being contacted by her grandchildren, William P. Letchworth invited them to bring Mary’s remains “back home” to his Glen Iris estate on the banks of the Genesee.  In 1910, he mounted a bronze statue atop the granite marker erected on the site in tribute to “the White Woman of the Genesee.”

Today, on a bluff above the Middle Falls, visitors can find her marker and statue next to an original cabin built by Mary Jemison for her daughter Nancy.  Across the grove is the 50′ x 20′ Revolutionary War-era Seneca Council House, discovered in Canadea, NY, preserved by Willaim Letchworth and moved to its current location in 1871.

The Council House

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10-Jun-10, 12:39:38 PM »

good post
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-Jun-10, 01:06:48 PM »

What a great story! Thanks so much Kris.  2thumbsup

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-Jun-10, 01:16:30 PM »

:clap  Thanks for the history lesson Kris! wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 10-Jun-10, 01:41:24 PM »

Love it!   heart  Rich and I actually read the markers and I take pictures of sites like Mary's in Letchworth.  Living where I do and visiting all of the VA vineyards that I do, we go through a LOT of Civil War and some Revolution battlefields.  In fact, we will often drive through the Wilderness simply because we can.  Thanks for sharing Mary Jemison's story.  thanx
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-Jun-10, 01:44:25 PM »

oink

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-Jun-10, 03:04:47 PM »

Love it!   heart  Rich and I actually read the markers and I take pictures of sites like Mary's in Letchworth.  Living where I do and visiting all of the VA vineyards that I do, we go through a LOT of Civil War and some Revolution battlefields.  In fact, we will often drive through the Wilderness simply because we can.  Thanks for sharing Mary Jemison's story.  thanx

I was born and raised in Wyoming County and my Great great great grandparents are buried in the old cemetery at Letchworth so I've been there countless times in my life.  Mary Jemison is someone who I've known about since I was a child and I was thrilled when I heard this name was chosen for one of the eyases!     2thumbsup

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-Jun-10, 07:50:00 PM »

Awesome, Kris, thank you!!!!!  I think it is such a great name for a Rochester born falcon!  May this little one carry the strength of this name.  I thought it was particularly significant that Mary Jemison had an association with the Seneca tribe and we have our own Seneca (hatched 2008). 

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-Jun-10, 09:06:24 PM »

Awesome, Kris, thank you!!!!!  I think it is such a great name for a Rochester born falcon!  May this little one carry the strength of this name.  I thought it was particularly significant that Mary Jemison had an association with the Seneca tribe and we have our own Seneca (hatched 2008). 

I know, Jeanne!  It is a great name for this Falcon!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: