THE FORUM

23-Sep-24, 05:20:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Esk Valley peregrines, Scotland  (Read 3815 times)
Neil Grubb
Pipping

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« on: 13-Jun-10, 09:21:52 AM »

Hi all,

So this is where you now hang out! I like the forum format, much easier to follow threads. I last posted to KFalconCam around 18 months ago but have been very active following peregrines and other local birds in the Esk Valleys in SE Scotland. The Esk Valleys comprise a river system which has the Pentland Hills and parts of Midlothian and East Lothian counties as its watershed. The nearest city is Edinburgh although the rivers skirt the city rather than pass through it. My local patch is the North Esk Valley; the North Esk river merges with the South Esk a few miles down river to form the Esk River, which enters the seas at Musselburgh. The Esk Valleys contain some of the best preserved ancient oak and Scots Pine woodland in the country yet are a little publicised gem for wildlife and birds. I am very fortunate to live here in Roslin Glen, part of the North Esk Valley. A friend of mine described Roslin Glen as follows on a posting on our local newsgroup after a springtime visit here; I couldn't express it any better:

"At any time of year it is sheer delight to pad along Neil Grubb's stamping ground on the north bank of the North Esk between Roslin Chapel and Hewan Bank; in springtime it is just sublime. A few weeks ago the sound track was a bit metallic: woodpeckers drumming, the high pitched ring tone of chifchaffs and the astonishingly loud, deep and raucous alarm call of a Raven, (nesting?).

On Sunday the volume of bird song was louder, more varied and mellower. Forby the exceptional beauty of Roslin Glen, the place resonates with an almost mystical quality. Three castles, a weird
chapel, numerous inexplicable man-made caves and a battlefield all within two miles of river bed it's not difficult to imagine ancient voices rising. Part of the magic of this place is the amplifying effect the gorge has on sound. For instance standing on the highest point of The Maiden Castle I thought part of the cliff opposite had fallen the noise was so sharp and thunderous but it was simply a panicked roe deer stampeding across the river.

Apart from a few squillion blue tits and great tits, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Nuthatch opposite Hawthornden Castle, 1 Male Sparrow Hawk, 1 Green Woodpecker [my first ever, hurrah!] flying south west to north east from the high grassy slopes at Hewen Bog toward the trees at the
first kink in the river after being disturbed by 3 Jackdaws. Both sides of the glen were echoing with yaffles. 2 Coal Tits, 2 Buzzards, 1 Female Mallard with her new brood at the weir. The youngest was almost black and smaller than a tennis ball while the largest was half the size of Mum. 1 Long Tailed Tit, 20 Sand Martins at the sand cliff at Hewan Bank, feasting and chattering like mad
1 Very sneaky Female Sparrow Hawk hiding low in a bush by the Hewan Bank path, 1 Green Woodpecker in a tree [my second ever, more hurrahs!], 2 swallows on a wire and looking a bit ragged! Flying today, what's it like ?"

I first encountered peregrines in the North Esk Valley in 2006 while photographing common buzzards; I stumbled upon a peregrine soaring quite by accident. The next year a little detective work led me to a cliff nest where a pair were nesting, and I have followed the site ever since. As is often the case, the peregrines were nesting in close proximity to ravens. In 2007-2008 I made a short film which has now been shown, along with some of my other work, at a number of regional birding and photographic society meetings across Scotland. The link to this is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QrazYqGZ48

At risk of repetition I have recorded some more recent footage; this includes also a great spotted
woodpecker and chiffchaff (a kind of European warbler - you will understand why it's so called when you listen!) and I hope you enjoy it. Best viewed in 720p or 1080p resolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk8uZ5KRjUg

Also check out the following if you're interested in smaller passerines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xyyOEJWBmA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZNstdhsl8o

I am currently working on my Magnum Opus which is a 30 minute documentary about birds of the Esk Valleys. I look forward to posting on the forum and learning more about peregrines!

Cheers,

Neil

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13-Jun-10, 09:33:21 AM »

Great write up Neil. Good job with your videos. The nesting falcons are amazing in their natural setting, love their home. Thanks for sharing your observations and videos. Do you falcons get banded? Thanks and we'll be looking forward to more from you.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-Jun-10, 09:35:09 AM »

Oh and WELCOME to the new Forum!   clap

Neil Grubb
Pipping

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-Jun-10, 09:45:18 AM »

Yes, they all get banded, in fact you can see the bands on the adults on the Fantasia video. Almost all peregrines in SE Scotland are banded as part of an ongoing program. The bands are chipped so its is possible identify which bird is on a particular nest ledge if a receiver unit is placed on the ledge. I have no head for heights so I don't get involved with the banding!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-Jun-10, 10:09:42 AM »

Yes, they all get banded, in fact you can see the bands on the adults on the Fantasia video. Almost all peregrines in SE Scotland are banded as part of an ongoing program. The bands are chipped so its is possible identify which bird is on a particular nest ledge if a receiver unit is placed on the ledge. I have no head for heights so I don't get involved with the banding!

I love the Fantasia video, as a matter of fact, I re-posted it here back in March.  secret2 2thumbsup

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-Jun-10, 10:22:42 AM »

wave   Welcome Neil!   Loved the Fantasia video so much I didn't want it to end! Great close ups of the redstart and nuthatches.    bravo

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-Jun-10, 04:35:29 PM »

Hi Neil ,

Welcome on the forum,and great you found us. thumbsup

greetings Carla
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166