THE FORUM

23-Oct-24, 03:27:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raptor Rehabilitation of Kentucky Inc  (Read 2020 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 19-Mar-13, 06:57:29 AM »

Bald Eagles are dedicated to their nest site. Every year they return to the same spot, and "remodel" by adding more sticks, so the nest gets taller and wider the longer the pair returns. This nest was found at the Sauerheber Unit of Sloughs WMA in western Henderson County. We can only imagine how long the Eagles have been there!

One of the most dreaded diseases we see is avian pox. It is caused by a virus, spread by mosquitos or direct contact, and is HIGHLY contagious, so anything that comes into contact with the bird must be cleaned with bleach. Avian pox lesions (wart-like growths) occur on the unfeathered parts of the bird's body and, in some cases, the mouth, larynx, and/or trachea. This poor hawk came in shortly before Christmas, and died before arriving at the center.

Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 19-Mar-13, 07:27:51 AM »

That poor Hawk!  crying

Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 20-Mar-13, 12:48:32 AM »

They're a really great group; Jeane and I support them and have visited their rehab center.  They also do a lot of events with their education birds.  For a while we were going often enough they were calling us raptor groupies.

They occasionally announce a public release and we like to attend those if they're local.  One year we watched a Golden Eagle release, and not too long ago we were invited to a release of a whole family of Red-Shouldered Hawks who had come in together.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-Mar-13, 06:27:06 AM »

They're a really great group; Jeane and I support them and have visited their rehab center.  They also do a lot of events with their education birds.  For a while we were going often enough they were calling us raptor groupies.

They occasionally announce a public release and we like to attend those if they're local.  One year we watched a Golden Eagle release, and not too long ago we were invited to a release of a whole family of Red-Shouldered Hawks who had come in together.

thumbsup That's wild!!! Thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: