THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 12:04:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Falcon's Eye View of Rochester  (Read 7549 times)
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« on: 24-Jan-10, 06:15:16 PM »

As some of you may know, I'm a flight instructor.  One of my students wanted to know if he could fly me to Rochester for a lesson.  Wow!  Not surprisingly, I thought it was a good idea, so off we went yesterday. 

Unfortunately, I would not get a chance to go downtown, but I did bring my camera along.  It turns out that the GPS 25 instrument approach, which we were assigned, goes right past Kodak Tower.  I had no time to actually aim at anything, but some careful cropping and editing last night turned the contents of the camera into something resembling photographs.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=946770002803%3A1061109728&cm_mmc=site_email-_-new_site_share-_-core-_-View_photos_link

Looking at these photos has given me a better idea of the relationships between the Powers Building, Kodak Tower, the Times Square Building, Genessee Gorge, and many other landmarks.  The resolution even allowed me to spot both nestboxes.  The best thing about the pictures was being able to experience a little of a Peregrine Falcon's perspective on Rochester.

Paul
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24-Jan-10, 06:36:01 PM »

Paul - Your pictures are outstanding!  bow Thanks so much for sharing them with us.  clap Sorry you couldn't stop for a quick visit.   wave

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-Jan-10, 06:45:30 PM »

As some of you may know, I'm a flight instructor.  One of my students wanted to know if he could fly me to Rochester for a lesson.  Wow!  Not surprisingly, I thought it was a good idea, so off we went yesterday. 

Unfortunately, I would not get a chance to go downtown, but I did bring my camera along.  It turns out that the GPS 25 instrument approach, which we were assigned, goes right past Kodak Tower.  I had no time to actually aim at anything, but some careful cropping and editing last night turned the contents of the camera into something resembling photographs.

Looking at these photos has given me a better idea of the relationships between the Powers Building, Kodak Tower, the Times Square Building, Genessee Gorge, and many other landmarks.  The resolution even allowed me to spot both nestboxes.  The best thing about the pictures was being able to experience a little of a Peregrine Falcon's perspective on Rochester.

Paul

Your pics are beautiful Paul. I'll bet if you zoomed in on some of them, you'd see the falcon watchers.  clap Did anyone see a Cessna go by??? coolphotos

valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 24-Jan-10, 06:57:00 PM »

Wonderful!  Thank you Paul!  Which Finger Lake was that?  The depth of the water is what keeps those babies pretty ice-free and COLD!
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-Jan-10, 08:04:59 PM »

Wonderful!  Thank you Paul!  Which Finger Lake was that?  The depth of the water is what keeps those babies pretty ice-free and COLD!

You are welcome.  It was Canandaigua Lake.  It had more ice than most -- Seneca Lake was all clear water.

Paul
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-Jan-10, 09:19:24 PM »

Magnificent!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Guru
Fluffball

Like Count: 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24-Jan-10, 11:09:54 PM »

Awesome.  Our little city really is beautiful.

Thank you Paul!
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24-Jan-10, 11:37:31 PM »

thumbsup    coolphotos

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Mirta
Fledgling

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25-Jan-10, 08:51:43 AM »

clap
It is great for people like me, who´ve never been in R
Thanks
M
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25-Jan-10, 09:13:41 AM »

Your pictures are GREATyes

NoraH
Juvie

Like Count: 26

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26-Jan-10, 12:10:00 AM »

Fantastic as always!  mbanana Too bad you didn't have time to do some falcon hunting.
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 26-Jan-10, 07:34:03 AM »

FYI, I'm Paul's student. On the way home, he showed me what his plane could really do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x13uGSD-5k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ_W06YpjBg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: