THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 08:09:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So Tell Us How the Weather Has Affected You and the Critters Around You.....  (Read 8147 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11-Jan-14, 10:11:41 PM »

Oh, lucky us!   happy

Interesting Dale.  We got #8 and you got #6. 

Both Rochester and Chicago are on the top 10 coldest cities in the U.S. weather channel list - nice pictures

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-10-coldest-us-cities-20140110,0,4892187.photogallery

Peregrines know no borders.....
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11-Jan-14, 10:15:05 PM »

Janet - It's truly amazing how far down the cold reached.

Kris G - Glad to hear that you won't be affected by the flooding.

Lots of standing water on the roads today and watch out for those potholes!  I hit a few today.  scared blue

Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 01-Feb-14, 01:13:02 PM »

Kentucky has seen a number of days in the single-digits, with at least one day (maybe more -- I've tried to repress the memory) where it dropped below zero.  While I've kept my feeders well stocked, and thrown extra food on the ground for the squirrels and racoons while we're buried in snow, the big hit has been the heated bird bath, since for many days I'm sure it was the only unfrozen water in the neighborhood.  One day I saw a robin just sitting down in the water near the heater...like he was in a hot tub.  On sunny days when the temperature is warm enough for birds to bathe I had to fill the bath more than once because so many enthusiastic bathers emptied it quickly (and it's a big birdbath...one of those old-fashioned stone birdbaths passed to us from Jeane's mother when she downsized to a patio home).  One day I spent maybe 20 minutes just watching the birdbath, with a steady stream of birds coming and going, with anywhere from 4-7 birds bathing at the same time.

Our part of the Ohio River has lots of ice on it, which is very unusual; I only remember once before (1978) when the river froze.  Many birds who often winter farther north have been hanging out on the river (scoters of various varieties, long-tailed ducks, etc.), making for some excitement among the local birding community.
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 01-Feb-14, 03:58:11 PM »

One day I saw a robin just sitting down in the water near the heater...like he was in a hot tub. 

That image is a keeper, Patti! Thanks.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01-Feb-14, 07:13:09 PM »

Hi Patty!  Hope you're keeping warm.   wave

lol Dale!   laugh

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up