THE FORUM

20-Apr-24, 01:21:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New idea for top menu  (Read 38630 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02-Feb-10, 01:13:00 PM »

And a tad too sensitive for my taste...they're dropping down with even a glancing touch of the cursor...one of my pet peeves on other sites.

I have added a short delay before the menus drop down. Quit and restart your web browser and then see if the menus work better for you.

The new top menu does have links to every page including some new ones that are coming down the pike. This means you can quickly get to any page from any other page.

Better...thank you!

And...re: the new links...can they be set to open a new tab/window like the internal forum ones do?  Not being greedy or anything  Wink ...it's just a nice feature if it's available.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
valhalla
« Reply #31 on: 02-Feb-10, 01:19:40 PM »

Thanks, Janet. Just so you know, the menu change is not for looks.

Got it - too much time dealing with marketing people (Arlington just did a complete website overhaul and freshness is a large part of the mix).  Understand the web pages that lead to nowhere  happy
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 02-Feb-10, 01:27:34 PM »

And...re: the new links...can they be set to open a new tab/window like the internal forum ones do?  Not being greedy or anything  Wink ...it's just a nice feature if it's available.

Yes, it can be set that way although it can be confusing for new users. They could end up with 50 windows open!

The trick I always use when I want to open a link in a new window is to hold down the shift key while clicking on the link. When I want to open the link in a new tab, I hold down the control key (command key on Mac) while clicking on the link.
valhalla
« Reply #33 on: 02-Feb-10, 01:29:50 PM »

I really am loosing it!  I just "found" the left-side menu that Shaky mentioned.  Duh!

Question:  Is is me or is "lunch" thawing on the home page?
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02-Feb-10, 02:59:58 PM »

And...re: the new links...can they be set to open a new tab/window like the internal forum ones do?  Not being greedy or anything  Wink ...it's just a nice feature if it's available.

Yes, it can be set that way although it can be confusing for new users. They could end up with 50 windows open!

The trick I always use when I want to open a link in a new window is to hold down the shift key while clicking on the link. When I want to open the link in a new tab, I hold down the control key (command key on Mac) while clicking on the link.

I do see where it could make a mess if you're not looking for a link to do that.  I usually just right click & open a new tab or window if I need to, but sometimes I forget particularly after I've been spoiled by the links within the forum.  We can always revisit it later.  Thanks!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02-Feb-10, 04:09:06 PM »

Thanks, Shaky!

What I really like is being able to go directly to Quest's Weekly Map, Show Unread Posts, and the Archieve Viewer.  Cool!

Paul
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 02-Feb-10, 04:27:55 PM »

I do see where it could make a mess if you're not looking for a link to do that.  I usually just right click & open a new tab or window if I need to, but sometimes I forget particularly after I've been spoiled by the links within the forum.  We can always revisit it later.  Thanks!

I think the rule will be:
If the page you are going to has the navigation menu at the top of the page, it will open in the same window. If it doesn't (i.e. it doesn't have a way to get back to the site other than hitting the back button) it will open in a new window.

Of course you can override this by shift-clicking, control-clicking, or right-clicking the link.
NoraH
Juvie

Like Count: 26

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02-Feb-10, 05:18:11 PM »

I usually just right-click on my choice and "open in new window" or depending on your browser's choices "open in new tab".  I usually do that with links from just about anywhere so I don't have to try and get back to the original place.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15-Mar-10, 09:26:41 PM »

I see the drop downs are now available on all the sites pages...cool beans!  nerd

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 15-Mar-10, 09:30:42 PM »

Yep, working on it.
valhalla
« Reply #40 on: 16-Mar-10, 06:20:24 AM »

I like the home page - I'd like to see donate as the first button but that's just me  Wink
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: 16-Mar-10, 06:42:32 AM »

We don't actually have a home page... yet.  Wink
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 16-Mar-10, 06:55:45 AM »

Home page...how much more home do we need than the Main Cam?   Wink

Just an fyi (and I don't even know if the pic will work-stupid work 'puter) on the Main Cam page here at work the buttons aren't showing up...IE 6.0, Win 2K, no flash player, limited java upgrades due to other program needs...etc., etc....

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 16-Mar-10, 07:06:20 AM »

Just an fyi (and I don't even know if the pic will work-stupid work 'puter) on the Main Cam page here at work the buttons aren't showing up...IE 6.0, Win 2K, no flash player, limited java upgrades due to other program needs...etc., etc....

Apparently the work Barracuda filter decided that Flickr is a social networking site...sigh...I think the picture is there...

Anyway...I forgot to say the buttons do "show up" when I mouse over them...and the buttons are there on the forum page...

valhalla
« Reply #44 on: 16-Mar-10, 07:42:09 AM »

Home page...how much more home do we need than the Main Cam?   Wink

ditto ditto ditto (mega Maryland dittos)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: