THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 04:32:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does any eyas survive living in that disgusting nest??  (Read 4031 times)
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« on: 10-Jun-14, 07:48:52 AM »

This might be in the wrong place, but I wonder how on earth the eyases manage to survive the germs and diseases that must accumulate in a nest box that filthy with poop and rotten prey parts. In their natural cliff habitat, I suppose the wind would blow away most of the body parts, but that isn't happening in this box.  sick-298 Ick and double ick

Dot in PA
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10-Jun-14, 07:52:42 AM »

This might be in the wrong place, but I wonder how on earth the eyases manage to survive the germs and diseases that must accumulate in a nest box that filthy with poop and rotten prey parts. In their natural cliff habitat, I suppose the wind would blow away most of the body parts, but that isn't happening in this box.  sick-298 Ick and double ick

Dot in PA

Good point, Dot. Still... it seems loads of raptors have no probs, esp when the nestboxes get cleaned every year... don't they??
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-Jun-14, 08:10:03 AM »

If need be, they check them and dust them for lice. It is gross but ---- Happens! Normal in the birds world. I have yet to see a clean nest!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-Jun-14, 08:14:06 AM »

And eagle nests-they never get cleaned-parents just pile more sticks on top & bury the nestovers.

I suppose we could get into a discussion about exposure to germs conferring immunity rather than causing disease... nerd

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 11-Jun-14, 02:55:40 PM »

And eagle nests-they never get cleaned-parents just pile more sticks on top & bury the nestovers.

I suppose we could get into a discussion about exposure to germs conferring immunity rather than causing disease... nerd

At least the birds aren't being vaccinated, Thank God!
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 12-Jun-14, 10:45:46 AM »

I have chicks in a nestbox right now and they are getting bigger and bigger every day.  The parents push all the gunk to the corners.  When they were little I think the adults took out the poop.  I suspect, though, that the poop acts as moisturizer for my clutch.  It gets hot in the box and the moisture tends to make it a bit cooler.  I clean the box every day now, but the adults get very mad at me.  There doesn't seem to be anything that's harmful to the chicks/eyases.

Some natural scrapes are back under ledges where they would probably be cleaned after fledging by other hawks or vultures.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: