THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 06:51:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WCNC Eagle cam (NC) Savannah sitting on eggs  (Read 40873 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 24-Mar-10, 01:36:00 PM »

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Noah, the baby eaglet at Carolina Raptor Center, is getting bigger and stronger and Saturday, March 27 it will learn how to survive on its own.

Noah will be taken to a hack tower at an undisclosed location to learn to fly, hunt and survive in the wild.

A hack tower is a wooden elevated structure where Noah will live for about six weeks.  The doors to the hack tower will be closed at first and eventually opened so Noah can fly in and out.

Before Noah is released into the wild it will be outfitted with a tracking device that pings off of cell phones so Carolina Raptor Center staff can keep track of the eagle.

Noah is named in honor of Lance Cpl. Noah Pier, 25, who was killed in combat Feb. 16 in southern Afghanistan.

The eaglet hatched Feb. 12, 2010.

Wing Goose
Tiercel

Like Count: 37

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 24-Mar-10, 05:50:53 PM »

That is some Hack Tower !  I have never seen one.  Are all Hack
Towers built similar to this one?
God speed to Noah.

Lola
       cool-045

Lola
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 26-Mar-10, 09:18:41 AM »

Eagle Cam fans will be able to see Noah on the Hack Tower camera that was installed this week. Thanks WCNC!   

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 26-Mar-10, 09:51:29 AM »

Eagle Cam fans will be able to see Noah on the Hack Tower camera that was installed this week. Thanks WCNC!   

bow clap thumbsup

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 26-Mar-10, 10:00:27 AM »

Which link has this cam?  hyper

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 26-Mar-10, 10:18:51 AM »

Which link has this cam?  hyper

Annette, they have not posted the link yet. He leaves tomorrow, so after that, I guess.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 27-Mar-10, 07:02:19 AM »

http://www.wcnc.com/marketplace/microsite-content/wcnc-eagle-cam.html  Noah's new home and cam....he'll be there around noon today...poor baby.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 27-Mar-10, 07:32:48 AM »

Look how big he is getting.....so dark.  Sad

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 27-Mar-10, 12:59:02 PM »

So sad  Sad

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 31-Mar-10, 04:12:27 PM »

Gallery

See all 13 photos »

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. -- Noah, a six-week-old eaglet, is now in a hack tower at an undisclosed location, learning how to survive on its own.

Officials at the Carolina Raptor Center say Noah is adjusting well to his new home.

WCNC placed a camera inside the hack tower to follow Noah's progress. The camera is solar-powered and hasn't updated since Saturday. We have a battery backup for the camera, but that battery only lasts about 12 hours. We have ordered a new solar panel and we hope to have the eagle cam back up soon.

Meanwhile, the eagle camera at the Carolina Raptor Center is currently being moved to another location inside the center. That camera should be up and running soon.

After a short private ceremony with the family of Marine Lance Corporal Noah Pier on Saturday, the eaglet was taken by staff and volunteers to CRC’s rehabilitation hospital for a brief medical examination in which all was deemed normal for a six week old bald eagle.

The eaglet weighed 3659 grams or approximately eight pounds. A blood sample was collected to evaluate general health and to determine the sex via DNA. The results could be available in the next 2-4 weeks. At the time of the exam, a permanent band was applied.  The eaglet was then moved via automobile to a hack tower in an undisclosed location where he will live for the next 4-6 weeks.

The “hacking” process places the young eaglet on an artificial nesting platform several weeks before he is ready to leave the nest or “fledge.” The doors of the tower remain closed until his feathers become fully developed. The eaglet is fed and watched over by members of Carolina Raptor Center’s staff under the direction of eagle expert Mathias Englemann, who has worked with eagles for over 27 years. The bird is fed from a blind to ensure he will retain his fear of humans.

In a few weeks the eaglet will be fitted with an experimental transmitter.

The tracking system is a solar powered battery GPS-GSM telemetry system designed for large birds. The backpack-style unit weighs 100g. The device is designed for operation over long periods of time and is powered by solar power. It tracks via cellular technology at a considerably lower cost than satellite devices. If cellular coverage is unavailable, the unit can store data points until it returns to a coverage area.

At 10 to 12 weeks of age, the doors of the hack tower are opened so that Noah, then a fledgling, can test his ability to fly. Staff members will continue to feed the fledgling throughout this period until it becomes obvious that Noah has left the nest for good.

The eaglet – named for Lance Corporal Noah Pier, a Coolwood native who was killed on February 16, 2010, in Afghanistan -- was born on February 12, 2010, at Carolina Raptor Center to nesting bald eagles Derek and Savannah. Bald eagles mate for life, and the 2010 eggs is the sixth clutch of eggs that these eagles have cared for. Male and female eagles share caregiver duties.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 04-Apr-10, 04:19:43 PM »

http://belo.bimedia.net/WCNC/weather/EagletCam.html  Noah's webcam is back online. My he got big in a week.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 06-Apr-10, 07:00:34 PM »

Noah gets a pool!  And he likes it.  clap

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 18-Apr-10, 10:02:30 AM »

http://www.wcnc.com/video/featured-videos/RAW-VIDEO--Eaglet-Noah-gets-tracking-device-91283529.html  Noah gets a transmitter. He has grown!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 18-Apr-10, 11:58:21 AM »

Cool video. I can't believe how calm that bird was being!    thanx

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 18-Apr-10, 12:09:31 PM »

Cool video. I can't believe how calm that bird was being!    thanx

Yes.."SHE" was being a good girl...that Noah.....lol

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: