THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 11:48:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Webcam at Montreal university  (Read 53919 times)
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 10-May-10, 03:31:21 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUs5Txq6Hfs  Here's where Polly meets the 1st chic....she could have taken it then

Looking for the other but probably don't really want to see it.

Donna, it is a different youtube.  It was posted on the montreal site last night.  I did look at it but it was so hard to watch.  She took the little one right from under her parent.  That poor baby.  I was so shaken, I didn't bookmark it. 

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 10-May-10, 03:40:25 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUs5Txq6Hfs  Here's where Polly meets the 1st chic....she could have taken it then

Donna, it is a different youtube.  It was posted on the montreal site last night.  I did look at it but it was so hard to watch.  She took the little one right from under her parent.  That poor baby.  I was so shaken, I didn't bookmark it. 

Your brave jeanne, I don't think I could watch it. I'd be traumatized by it. Seriously.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 10-May-10, 05:32:33 PM »

Your brave jeanne, I don't think I could watch it. I'd be traumatized by it. Seriously.

Actually, Donna, you are brave.  Especially after seeing that youtube, I am really nervous looking at the site.  Those sweet babies.  I know it is nature but sheesh.

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 10-May-10, 05:37:22 PM »

Actually, Donna, you are brave.  Especially after seeing that youtube, I am really nervous looking at the site.  Those sweet babies.  I know it is nature but sheesh.

jeanne, I don't think this is suppose to be nature as no one has heard of such a thing. A juvie falcon hanging around for a year. So we actually don't know what this is all about. I'm not liking it.  nono no thumbsdown

Nic1Pic
Juvie

Like Count: 43

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 10-May-10, 06:40:43 PM »

It is sad and maybe it is not nature,  but we can't shoot Polly. For her babies are food. Just hope and pray that Spirit and Roger can keep her away. The situation is a mystery. Nicole
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 10-May-10, 06:51:13 PM »

It is definitely unusual.  It is up to the parents to shoo her away.  Part of the mystery is why they haven't.  I think there had been an attempt to rescue her at one point but it failed.  That would probably be the only possible option -- to rescue her until the others are fledged- but I don't know how possible that is.

It's sad.  Nature is not always easy to watch or to understand.

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 11-May-10, 06:45:08 AM »

Still 2 there. Maybe Polly got a good talking to by dad...he seemed more disturbed over the "TAKE" than mom.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 11-May-10, 01:29:38 PM »

Here's part of the email about Polly

That being said, I have been kept apprised of the Montreal happenings.  While it is very sad indeed, we have seen this same situation happen on two other occasions at two other nest sites.  The end results have always been the same and this news does not come as any surprise as tragic as it is.

As Polly matures, (and her hormones take over and control her behaviour), she will become more aggressive (assertive and dominating), and will compete for control of the territory and the nest site itself.  Sadly, there is not much that can be done as the birds will have to work this out on their own.
Unless Spirit dispatches Polly, I would not be surprised to see additional happenings.  While I have doubts that Polly actually ate the hatchling, you just may see other nest robbing in the future if Polly’s mom continues to allow her at the nest.  Don’t expect that Roger will do any dispatching, as he will allow whatever Spirit will allow to continue.   He has really no idea what is actually happening, so don’t count on his support to rectify the problem and dispatch Polly.

In both of the other situations that we have observed, the yearling juvenile (both were also females), tried to take over the nest and new hatchlings.  The chicks were trampled and eventually died at one of the other nests in the ongoing battle for control of the actual nest ledge, while at the other nest,, all of the new hatchlings were removed from the original nest by the yearling juvenile female - (just as in this case).

We believe that the young yearly juvenile bird actually attempted to brood the stolen chicks on another ledge altogether, as she was observed bring food into the various ledges that she had placed the hatchlings on.  All three of the hatchlings eventually died (or died during the process). Sadly, they were all found dead on the  ledge before we could gain access in an effort to recover them.

I can only hope that Spirit does not allow this to continue.  It is also possible that Polly may be allowed to provide foster care to the remaining hatchlings ie: (a second mom), as we have also see this happen on another occasion.

Who knows how this particular story will unfold, as each bird is as different as the next one.

Not sure that I’ve helped.
Sincerely
Mark Nash
CPF

I guess it's not that uncommon but now we have to worry that Polly will want that nest and when she comes of age, she's just like any other female. Oh boy.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 11-May-10, 11:24:31 PM »

Moms guarding these 2. Wonder what's up with Polly. Like Mark said, she probably didn't eat the chick, just took it. No one knows why but she was just being Naughty.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 12-May-10, 08:02:24 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AJjdjMk4kY&feature=player_embedded  A clip of the 2 remaining chicks.

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 13-May-10, 12:30:39 AM »

rofl

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 13-May-10, 12:37:34 AM »

I found the video where Polly takes an eyas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTuljWqemVc&feature=related
« Last Edit: 13-May-10, 07:35:45 AM by Annette » Logged

carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 13-May-10, 07:22:17 AM »

I found the video where Polly takes a eyas.
This is the strangest thing I have ever seen surprise
Greetings Carla
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 13-May-10, 07:43:29 AM »

I found the video where Polly takes a eyas.
This is the strangest thing I have ever seen surprise
Greetings Carla

Nope...I just can't watch it.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 19-May-10, 09:24:57 PM »

These 2 are doing well. Wonder how Polly is? Anyone know?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: