THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 03:26:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giant Pandas at the Toronto Zoo  (Read 15894 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« on: 30-Sep-15, 09:43:49 AM »

The Toronto Zoo

On May 14, giant panda Er Shun underwent two non-surgical artificial insemination procedures as part of the Giant Panda Conservation Breeding Program. On September 25, Zoo experts and a vet from Ontario Veterinary College detected a fetal heartbeat (top). Then on September 29, another ultrasound was performed and we captured an image of a possible SECOND panda fetus (bottom)yahoo

While this is very exciting news, we remain cautiously hopeful as the next three weeks are critical. Zoo staff and panda experts will continue to monitor Er Shun and we will provide you exclusive updates on Twitter, @TheTorontoZoo. We are excited for you to join us on this incredible journey ‪#‎TOpandawatch‬.
You can view Er Shun’s ultrasound at http://youtu.be/XgTm5HIDZ0M.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30-Sep-15, 11:03:37 AM »

Wonderful news, Carly!  Hoping all goes well!   panda

Tapper Gal
Fledgling

Like Count: 11

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-Oct-15, 10:32:29 PM »

Keeping my fingers crossed.  clap

Tapper Gal, AKA ,  Diane
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-Oct-15, 08:03:22 AM »

Nothing yet from our media but China is reporting Er Shun gave birth to twins at 3.30 am and they posted some photos on FB!  A keeper from China is here attending to the cubs.

Stay tuned....

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-Oct-15, 08:31:47 AM »

Toronto Zoo posting on Twitter: 

https://twitter.com/TheTorontoZoo?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Mom and two cubs all appear to be doing well, the cubs weigh 187.7 grams and 115 grams. #TOpandacubs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-Oct-15, 09:31:09 AM »

Congrats, Carly..fun times ahead!  panda panda

http://youtu.be/sFiBhBgzPtY

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-Oct-15, 09:40:34 AM »

Toronto Zoo press release

First Giant Panda Cubs Born in Canada
Historic Moment for Toronto Zoo

Toronto, ON, Tuesday, October 13, 2015: The Toronto Zoo announced a Canadian first today with the birth of two giant panda cubs.  Er Shun, the Zoo’s female giant panda, gave birth to her first cub at 3:31 a.m. and the second cub was born at 3:44 a.m.

Er Shun is demonstrating excellent maternal instincts and began cleaning and cradling the first cub soon after its birth. Immediately following the birth of the second cub, Toronto Zoo staff from the Wildlife Health Centre, Wildlife Care and two giant panda experts from Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding in China, retrieved the cub to initiate the Toronto Zoo's Giant Panda Twin Hand-Rearing Protocol. The cub was then placed in an incubator in the maternity area of the giant panda house, and approximately two hours after its birth the second cub was twin-swapped so it could begin the bonding process with Er Shun. The first cub weighed 187.7 grams at birth and the second cub weighed 115 grams. While this is wonderful news, the tiny cubs are very vulnerable at this size, so the next several hours and days will be critical to their survival.   

The cubs will remain in the maternity area of the giant panda house for several months. As the maternity area of the giant panda house is not visible to the public, Toronto Zoo staff will endeavor to provide regular updates on their progress.

At this time Zoo staff do not know the sex of the cubs and have not confirmed which panda is the father. It may be several months before we are able to determine the sex and paternity of the cubs.

“We are so proud to be contributing to the ongoing survival of this endangered species. The Toronto Zoo has been a leader through its unique and successful reproductive programs and these historical births are a testament to the commitment and passion of theprofessionalstaff who work tirelessly every day to ensure the ongoing survival of so many species,” said John Tracogna, Chief Executive Officer, Toronto Zoo.

“On behalf of the Toronto Zoo Board of Management we are proud of all staff at the Zoo who have helped bring this vision to a reality,” said Councillor Raymond Cho, Chair. "Our researchers, veterinarians, and wildlife care staff are some of the best in the world, and we are grateful to the People’s Republic of China for entrusting these endangered animals to us. We look forward to sharing our learnings with scientists around the world in the hope this will help us save this endangered species," he added.

Giant panda cubs are born blind and weigh only 0.08 to 0.2 kilograms, and are about the size of a stick of butter. They are pink in colour, with short sparse white hair, and are 1/900th the size of their mother, one of the smallest newborn mammals relative to its mother’s size.

The Toronto Zoo has been working with many key partners who have played such important roles in this conservation success story and we are grateful for their continued support.

Currently on loan as part of a long-term conservation breeding program, both giant pandas are at the Toronto Zoo until 2018. The giant pandas will relocate to the Calgary Zoo in 2018. 

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-Oct-15, 09:48:25 AM »

YAY!!   bow bow clap clap clap

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13-Oct-15, 10:41:22 AM »

Most excellent news!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-Oct-15, 07:42:11 PM »

OMG, listen to that new cub!! Shocked heart

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-Oct-15, 09:45:47 PM »

OMG, listen to that new cub!! Shocked heart

Wow it's got a good set of lungs for sure!!  happy

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15-Oct-15, 01:45:27 PM »

#‎CUBUPDATE‬: The giant panda team continues to closely monitor the two cubs and Er Shun around the clock. With the assistance of two giant panda experts from the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding in China, the team continues to twin-swap the cubs. This not only enables Er Shun to nurse and bond with each cub, but also provides the Zoo's Wildlife Health Centre and Wildlife Care staff with the opportunity to weigh each cub and conduct regular health checks.
While there has been some weight fluctuations with both cubs, which is very common with newborns, both of them are currently stable. Yesterday, the cubs were observed nursing from Er Shun and if the team notices that one or both of the cubs are not suckling from her, the team is able to collect milk from Er Shun and give it to the cubs extremely carefully, by bottle.
We continue to communicate with our colleagues around the globe, who have been fortunate enough to have giant panda cubs, to share insights and best practices. We want to thank everyone for the ongoing support and encouragement during this critical time. We will continue to update you as information becomes available as the team continues to be very focused on the health and wellbeing of the cubs and Er Shun.

best buds

heart

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15-Oct-15, 05:53:26 PM »

They seem too underdeveloped to be out of the womb.  surprise

-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15-Oct-15, 06:50:11 PM »

They seem too underdeveloped to be out of the womb.  surprise

It's mind-boggling that any of them survive!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15-Oct-15, 08:34:04 PM »

They seem too underdeveloped to be out of the womb.  surprise

It's mind-boggling that any of them survive!

It really is!  yes

-John Burroughs
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: