THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 04:01:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Norwich Cathedral Falcons 2016  (Read 13212 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06-Dec-16, 09:11:50 PM »

Today, a new update on the last surviving chick, YY:

YY Update December 2016

Posted on 6 December 2016 by Adrian Blumfield

In the Summer of 2016 Peregrine YY having fledged from the nest at Norwich Cathedral was unable to fly effectively. A decision was made by the Hawk and Owl Trust to remove the bird and send it for rehabilitation. During this process when flying after live prey she suffered another setback, fracturing her scapula.

The healing was going well and her flying had recommenced, however it was very obvious that things were not right. So YY was taken back to Neil Forbes and had a CT scan. The CT scan shows she had a ‘un-united coracoid and scapula’.

The results and advice we have been given indicates that this injury will now not heal without surgery. The chances of a positive outcome are less than 50%, however a united decision has been taken that we owe YY a chance of recovery as the alternative is euthanasia.

If she gets through the surgery, which will happen later this week, then it will be a long process to get her flying again as she will need to have a rest and moult before any flying can be attempted, therefore it could easily be late 2017 before she is released.

When more information is available we will update this site.

Poor little YY. She has been through so much. I hope for the very best for her.  heart

However, at this point I have lost all confidence in the Hawk and Owl Trust.  Sad

Poor girl! Best wishes for a good outcome. Thanks Alison!  Sad

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07-Dec-16, 07:54:50 AM »

At least they care enough to give her a go at it again!! Healing prayers to her!

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12-Dec-16, 12:18:43 PM »

Very sad news.   Sad

From Facebook (an Eastern Daily Press Article):

The final surviving Norwich peregrine falcon from this year’s brood has lost its life after undergoing a risky surgical procedure.

It is the last of four siblings to die after a dramatic series of events at the top of Norwich Cathedral over the summer.

An intruding female who chased the resident female from the nest proceeded to attack the four chicks as they fledged.

After two died of their injuries, the remaining two chicks were taken to a rehabilitation centre with a view to releasing them into the wild.

And in July one was found dead at the International Bird of Prey Centre - with an inconclusive post-mortem.

The last peregrine, named YY, recently became injured during a hunt.

A statement from the Hawk and Owl Trust, who monitor the birds at the cathedral, said: “In the summer of 2016 Peregrine YY having fledged from the nest at Norwich Cathedral was unable to fly effectively. 
“A decision was made by the Hawk and Owl Trust to remove the bird and send it for rehabilitation. During this process when flying after live prey she suffered another setback, fracturing her scapula.

“The healing was going well and her flying had recommenced, however it was very obvious that things were not right. So YY was taken back to Neil Forbes and had a CT scan. The CT scan shows she had a ‘un-united coracoid and scapula’.”

Medical advice was the injury would not heal without surgery, which had a 50pc chance of success.

“A united decision had been taken that we owe YY a chance of recovery as the alternative is euthanasia,” added the Hawk and Owl Trust.

“The operation on the Peregrine YY went according to plan and Neil Forbes our vet who was undertaking the procedure was very pleased with the result, however, YY failed to come out of the anaesthetic and we regret to have to inform you all that she very sadly died. 
“This was something that we did not expect, but alas happens on occasions and everyone was very sad considering the time and effort everyone had devoted.”

The platform and equipment at Norwich Cathedral will soon be checked and cleaned in preparation for the 2017 breeding season.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12-Dec-16, 02:10:15 PM »

sorrow

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12-Dec-16, 02:42:45 PM »

So sad.  Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12-Dec-16, 02:53:17 PM »

I had just read that on FB a while ago.  Fly free, YY.  sorrow

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13-Dec-16, 11:02:11 PM »

I saw the very sad news about YY on the Norwich site yesterday. Poor little one. She had very little peace in her way too short life; only the time she spent in the nest with her Dad.  crying  crying

I hope there will be an update on exactly what caused the loss of this little beauty. Normally, a fractured coracoid has a good prognosis.

And what a terrible year for her Dad, with the loss of all four of his chicks and very probably also of his long time, and very bonded, mate. They were such a great pair for many years.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: