THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 01:28:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cathedral of Learning  (Read 114696 times)
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: 28-Jun-12, 08:59:12 PM »

Oh sweet baby Sad crying

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 29-Jun-12, 01:43:57 AM »

I hate these glass windows! snarl It kills so many birds!  crying  frustrated

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 29-Jun-12, 06:55:47 AM »

Need to get the FLAP program going in all states. So many windows to cover, will be impossible and most will probably not comply unless it's mandatory. They need to come up with a new window when they make and install, have a coating, decal on it already. Millions of little guys die too. Just a shame. Lights out during migration should also be mandatory.  Sad

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 29-Jun-12, 03:15:35 PM »

From Kate's Blog

To put things into perspective… yesterday’s news about Blue’s death was sad but not unusual.

Juvenile peregrine falcon mortality is high.  Nearly two thirds don’t live to be one year old.  Their often quoted mortality rate is 62.5%.

Scientific research bears this out.  Marcel Gabhauer published his doctoral thesis on peregrine falcons in 2008 having studied urban and rural, wild-born and hacked birds in Ontario since 1995.  His findings showed that nest survival from hatching to fledging is high (95.8%) but first year survival is dramatically lower.  Of the chicks he was able to track for a year, only 36.5% of the wild-born birds and 31.6% of the hacked birds survived to their first birthday.  Only one out of three makes it.

My experience with the Cathedral of Learning peregrines is similar though I’m unable to track them for a year.  Each summer since 2008 at least one juvenile Pitt peregrine has died in Pittsburgh.  Interestingly, I didn’t begin to hear of the Pitt peregrines’ deaths until 2008 when my blog made me known as The Peregrine Lady.

Monitoring juvenile peregrines is a roller coaster experience. Dorothy and E2 know this much better than I do.  Yesterday evening I found them where I expected them to be – on the Cathedral of Learning on the side facing the scene of Blue’s accident.  E2 was gazing in that direction. Dorothy was in her mourning nook, a place she only uses just after one of her youngsters has died.

This dip in our roller coaster won’t last long.  The demands of the remaining juveniles will perk up Dorothy and E2.  The Pitt peregrines’ success stories will keep us going with Dorothy’s “kids” across the eastern U.S:

Louie (2002) in Downtown Pittsburgh
    Stammy (2003) in Youngstown, Ohio
    Hathor (2003) in Mt. Clemens, Michigan
    Belle (2003) at the Univ. of Toledo bell tower
    Maddy (2004) at the I-480 bridge near Cleveland
    Beauty (2007) in Rochester, New York
    Rufus(2007) in Warren, Ohio
    Unnamed male (2008) at the Tarentum Bridge in 2010. (Not confirmed in 2012.)
    Unnamed female (2009) in Wrightsville, Ohio.
    And Henry — who hit a window on Henry Street last year — is thriving in Ohio!

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 30-Jun-12, 01:07:39 AM »

From Kate's Blog

To put things into perspective… yesterday’s news about Blue’s death was sad but not unusual.

Juvenile peregrine falcon mortality is high.  Nearly two thirds don’t live to be one year old.  Their often quoted mortality rate is 62.5%.

Scientific research bears this out.  Marcel Gabhauer published his doctoral thesis on peregrine falcons in 2008 having studied urban and rural, wild-born and hacked birds in Ontario since 1995.  His findings showed that nest survival from hatching to fledging is high (95.8%) but first year survival is dramatically lower.  Of the chicks he was able to track for a year, only 36.5% of the wild-born birds and 31.6% of the hacked birds survived to their first birthday.  Only one out of three makes it.

My experience with the Cathedral of Learning peregrines is similar though I’m unable to track them for a year.  Each summer since 2008 at least one juvenile Pitt peregrine has died in Pittsburgh.  Interestingly, I didn’t begin to hear of the Pitt peregrines’ deaths until 2008 when my blog made me known as The Peregrine Lady.

Monitoring juvenile peregrines is a roller coaster experience. Dorothy and E2 know this much better than I do.  Yesterday evening I found them where I expected them to be – on the Cathedral of Learning on the side facing the scene of Blue’s accident.  E2 was gazing in that direction. Dorothy was in her mourning nook, a place she only uses just after one of her youngsters has died.

This dip in our roller coaster won’t last long.  The demands of the remaining juveniles will perk up Dorothy and E2.  The Pitt peregrines’ success stories will keep us going with Dorothy’s “kids” across the eastern U.S:

Louie (2002) in Downtown Pittsburgh
    Stammy (2003) in Youngstown, Ohio
    Hathor (2003) in Mt. Clemens, Michigan
    Belle (2003) at the Univ. of Toledo bell tower
    Maddy (2004) at the I-480 bridge near Cleveland
    Beauty (2007) in Rochester, New York
    Rufus(2007) in Warren, Ohio
    Unnamed male (2008) at the Tarentum Bridge in 2010. (Not confirmed in 2012.)
    Unnamed female (2009) in Wrightsville, Ohio.
    And Henry — who hit a window on Henry Street last year — is thriving in Ohio!

After reading this, I  notworthy clap bow to our Beauty!  She has been through so much in her short life.   She is a strong PeFa and I hope that she and  Doc.ca have many more young here, and continue the legacy that Mariah and Kave began. 
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 30-Jun-12, 05:44:40 AM »

Very much like Kate's blog. Thanks for posting, Donna.
BIGFRANK
« Reply #156 on: 30-Jun-12, 06:38:21 AM »

Marcel was with CPF for many of the early years of his study as a volunteer.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 30-Jun-12, 09:48:12 AM »

Brought tears to my eyes to read how Dorothy has a mourning spot for her babies that have passed. They don't have emotions?! I absolutely believe that they do!!!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 30-Jun-12, 09:50:04 AM »

Marcel was a very informative guy. Miss all his reports.

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 30-Jun-12, 10:30:48 AM »

Brought tears to my eyes to read how Dorothy has a mourning spot for her babies that have passed. They don't have emotions?! I absolutely believe that they do!!!  heart
I agree look how O'Connor acted when her little one died.

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: 30-Jun-12, 10:31:15 AM »

Yes, he was an active member of the Kodak Birdcam discussion board for several years and was instrumental in publishing satellite tracking data for Hafoc and Skye.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 30-Jun-12, 01:00:41 PM »

Yes, he was an active member of the Kodak Birdcam discussion board for several years and was instrumental in publishing satellite tracking data for Hafoc and Skye.

And, for the geeks among us, I found his doctoral thesis...

BREEDING, DISPERSAL, AND MIGRATION OF URBAN
PEREGRINE FALCONS IN EASTERN NORTH AMERICA

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
BIGFRANK
« Reply #162 on: 30-Jun-12, 03:06:13 PM »

Thanks that will be quite the read but worth it Im sure. I never tire of learning new and interesting facts. I will have to scan in a paper I hand out at my raptor watch which is only a list based on many raptor books published over the last 50 years about where our birds of prey migrate to. A friend Colin collects old raptor books. He is closing in on 80 years old and taught me so much of what I know about raptor ID and he put it together. Sorry no timeline for that but it shall be done.
  Its great what cameras and boards can teach us.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 06-Jan-13, 05:43:19 PM »

Dorothy at nest. Today

Jan 3

Jan 3

E2

From fb

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 06-Jan-13, 06:25:42 PM »

Yay-nice to see where Beauty was born! Haven't looked there in a long time!! Thanks Donna!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: