THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 08:24:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storm strands famous Canadian falcon in Texas  (Read 3738 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 31-Mar-16, 06:30:08 AM »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/storm-strands-canadian-falcon-in-dallas/108944606

Great story and why does it cost so much to fly a Falcon from Texas to Canada?? 2,500 smackers!!!

They raised the $ to fly her home!!  heart

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31-Mar-16, 08:03:20 PM »

happy

Peregrines know no borders.....
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-Dec-16, 09:43:19 PM »

After being in rehab at Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Hutchins, Texas, since March, peregrine falcon Beatrix has finally returned home to Canada. With all the necessary paperwork finally in place, she was flown home via Toronto to her home in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

She received the very best of care from Kathy Rogers and her staff. Kathy Rogers even accompanied Beatrix all the way to Winnipeg, really going above and beyond. Having someone she knows beside her on the journey would make it much less stressful for Beatrix.

She had her own seat on the plane, her own boarding pass, and was allowed to board first.

Photos: Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center.

Beautiful Beatrix:

With Kathy Rogers, looking relaxed:

Beatrix will spend the winter continuing her rehab at a facility in the Winnipeg area.

Meantime, her mate, Ty, found a new mate, Faith, and raised three chicks with her this year.

Posted by Kathy Rogers yesterday:

A breathtakingly cold and beautiful Canadian sunset as we bid farewell to Beatrix. She will be inside at a rehab facility for the winter. Til later, lady Bea. See ya in the spring.

https://www.facebook.com/Rogers-Wildlife-Rehabilitation-Center-398035120217303/
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-Dec-16, 09:54:43 PM »

NBC covered the story:

Beatrix the Falcon Gets Help Flying Home to Canada After Rehab

By Kevin Cokely

A rare peregrine falcon finally flew home from North Texas to Canada Thursday – but not on her own.

"I'm so glad she's getting to go back to where she belongs," said Kathy Rogers, who nursed 5-year-old Beatrix back to health at the Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Hutchins.

Blinded by a March hailstorm migrating from Mexico to her home in Winnipeg, Canada, Beatrix quickly regained her sight.

But she remains too weak to make the 1,300 mile flight home herself.

“It would be just like a marathon runner that’s been locked up in a closet for six months,” said Rogers.

American Airlines arranged to fly Beatrix home through Toronto. After months spent working to secure all the needed paperwork from both Canada and U.S. authorities, Rogers was finally able to board the plane with Beatrix in the seat beside her, safely secured in a pet carrier.

“I don’t think it’s ever been done, returning a wild Canadian bird back to Canada. Apparently that’s never been done before,” said Rogers. “I’m ready to turn her over to someone else at this point.”

A band on Beatrix's leg led Rogers to the Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project in Manitoba, which says Beatrix is something of a local celebrity.

"We have web cams on that particular nest site, so people are able to watch and watch her grow up," said Tracy Maconachie, project coordinator with the Manitoba Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project.

"We had a contest to name the chicks and her name was chosen from amongst a whole bunch of names for her," Maconachie added.

Beatrix will miss the fall migration to Mexico, and will instead spend the winter in Canada with more rehabilitation to get ready for the next breeding season there.

There is also video with the article:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Beatrix-the-Falcon-Gets-Help-Flying-Home-to-Canada-After-Rehab-404130966.html
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-Dec-16, 12:42:28 AM »

Very cool! Beatrix, you go girl!  clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-Dec-16, 07:50:14 AM »

Great news but oh boy, her mate has a new girl!!  wub2 Hope all goes well and glad she's home!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07-Dec-16, 08:11:38 PM »

Such an awesome story of kindness towards this beautiful falcon! Be well Beatrix!

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: